My hand is swollen, hot and red where an I.V. has been for 4 days. What should I do?

By November 24, 2009 - 4:01pm

I have been released from the hospital after a 4 day stay. The hand that my I.v. was in is throbbing, red, swollen and hot. Will it just go away, or not?

Dear Lisa

Thanks so much for your question.

Some people have very marked reactions to being in an IV. I'm one of them. Sometimes it takes two full weeks for the bruising and swelling to go down. Some people are very sensitive to IVs and this may simply be the case with you.

However, you may also have something called a Superficial Thrombophlebitis, which is blood clot one can get from the IV. You may also have an infection. Additionally, the health care provider may have hit a nerve when inserting the needle.

If you don't see an improvement soon, please get it seen to. Will you keep us updated?