By April 12, 2010 - 7:23am

I am having night sweats. This has been going on for some time now. Some nights it's so bad that I soak the sheets. I don't even sweat when I work out or go in a sauna! I just had a blood test at my GYN and I am NOT starting Meno pause. I am 49 years old and had a hyterectomy at 31 (I have one ovary). During that surgery I contracted Hepatitis C. After many years of treatment, that condition has been in remission (for the second time) for 4 years (although i have not had a blood test for some time to check it). I do have a compromised immune system now because of the Hep C and all of the treatments and catch "EVERYTHING".

These are driving me nuts!!!! ANY HELP!!??!?!?!?!

Have you been at all feverish lately?

Are you overweight or underweight?

Are the night sweats really the only symptom you are having trouble with? No pain, regular appetite, normal everything else?

I know you said they'd been going on for some time. Do you remember back when they started, did you by chance just get over an illness? Something bacterial, for instance, for which you took antibiotics?

Here's an article that explores quite a few causes of night sweats other than the typical hormonal ones:

PLEASE READ....as previously posted......I am NOT going through menopause!!!! I have had an FSH test already!!!!!! NEGATIVE!!!!!!! And this just in.......Liver function test....came back ok.....hmmmm.....

You might be going through menopause if you're 49. The average age is 51, so that is a good possibility. Your doctor can do an FSH test to determine if this is the case. Many of my patients suffer with major night sweats and hot flashes during the menopausal transition. Try boosting your soy and omega 3 and wearing wicking pajamas . A good brand found online are Cool-jams.

I do not have HIV. I have had HCV since 1991. I am not pre-menapausal...I had a blood test to check to see. I have been on the lowest dose of Zolft (50mg) daily for years with no side affects of problems. But no other medications. I am on NO meds for my HCV, nor have I been for over five years.

My next step is to go in for some more testing I guess.

Dear ddbelle

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

If you and your doctors are sure that you are not yet menopausal (you could be permimenopausal - have you talked to your doctor about this?) you may have other reasons for this.

Other reasons may be medications. Are you on any medications (including meds for your Hep C) that can cause sweating at night? Medications that cause this kind of sweating can be found on Sweat Help here: http://www.sweathelp.org/pdf/Diaphoretic_Class.pdf

Are you taking anti-depressants? They have a high percentage of causing sweating.

There is a condition called Idiopathic hyperhidrosis that causes this kind of excessive sweating. You can click on the name to learn more.

Have you had blood tests to check for infections? Since you know you are already immune compromised, you should be checked out for infections to see if this may be causing your sweating. Have you been HIV tested? If you contracted Hep C during surgery, you should have been tested for HIV too. Do you know your result?

I hope this information help you and I know I asked a lot of questions but an update would be great in order for us to help you further. I look forward to hearing more from you!

Night Sweats