ovulation test strip shows positive result for just 1 day

By May 14, 2014 - 6:48am

My husb and me are planning for a baby. We used OPK this month to check when exactly i ovulate. Length of my menstrual cycle is usually 27/28 days. I constantly checked for ovulation starting from day 9. Till day 12 it showed a negative result and on day 13 (yesterday) it showed a positive. I checked again today (i.e day 14) and it showed me a negative result. Does that mean I ovulated on day 13? Is it normal for OPK to show just 1 positive result? Should we have sex today as its a negative?
Please advise

Hi empowher,

A woman generally ovulates for 24 (continuous) hours a month so it sounds like you ovulated on day 13 like the test said and since ovulation is just one day, you may have missed it. But nothing is set in stone - have sex today anyway! You never know.

Your best bet is to have sex from day 9 onwards, at least every other day. That way when you do ovulate, you'll know that you have had sex thus increasing your odds for pregnancy. Since sperm can stay alive in a woman for up to 5 days, having sex from days 9 to about days 16 (every other day) will help ensure not missing ovulation. And keep taking those tests, that's a good idea. Good luck with the baby-making!

Has this helped?