Flu

Flu Guide

ask: Pain in arm after flu shot

By ouch2

I had a flu shot Sept. 2008 and remember it hurt when given. Since then I have pain in my upper arm and shoulder (it's now been a year). I believe it is nerve damage from the needle going to deep. I have had an MRI. meds and now going to Chiro with no relief. I cant't put my arm behind my back or lift it over my head and forget about putting weight on it. Does anyone know of relief for this condition?

Thanks

Anonymous

I also had a flu shot November 10, 2014 and have been experiencing severe pain since then. I only have pain when lifting high over my head reaching behind me and rotating my arm inward. The pain increases at night and wakes me up. When I roll in bed I have to physically take my arm with my other had and move it because the pin is so bad. II have spoke to two doctors so far. the first told me to take Aleve, which I did. The second has put me on Naprosin, which is basically just a stronger dose of Aleve. So far it is not going away. HAS ANYONE FOUND A TREATMENT THAT ACTUALLY WORKS?

Anonymous

I too received a flu shot 5days ago and it hurt more than usual and it seemed higher up on my arm than usual. Since then the pain has gotten worse from my shoulder to my fingers.

See a doctor and document dates, expenses for meds., sick days, and so forth. You may need this info one day.

Anonymous

I also had the vaccine on Oct. 31, 2014 at my job site. Initially arm was swollen and sore but that went away. After a few days after that I was experiencing throbbing pain in arm, and pain in shoulder and neck. Still I waited assuming it would go away. Finally contacted doctor and was given a ten day treatment of prednisone. After ten days pain still there. I will be trying new treatment of Gabapentin to see if it alleviates symptoms or pain. Still taking aceta/codine for pain. Sleeping is rough!

Anonymous

I had a flue shot this Oct 2014 , the upper left arm , the arm was sore after wards , but with in a few weeks I was getting pain in my left middle finger , and now it seems like my whole are is aching or sore most of the day , my chiro said it could be a trapped nerve , so she did some deep massage in my shoulder neck area , which has helped a little .. but my arm still feels strange , im only 49 years old , a healthy mother and active etc ??

Harmony

For over 15 years I have been getting the flu shot from nurses with no problems. On October 12, 2014, I received my flu shot from the pharmacy because it was more convenient than going to my doctor's office. A week after the flu shot I had severe pain in my arm. My sleep was disrupted as I could not sleep on my left side and I had to take tylenol with codeine for the pain for three days. At my request, my doctor reported my injuries to the appropriate organization that are monitoring side effects. As suggested by my doctor, I have been rotating my arm to prevent a secondary injury called cold shoulder. Clearly my deltoid muscle has been affected because I have no pain when I use my bicep muscles. The pain has lessoned in the past couple of weeks however at the end of the day I still have discomfort, trouble with sleeping and will have sharp pain if I move my arm suddenly (especially sideways)or directly above my head. I have pain in my shoulder and sometimes the pain will go down my arm to my ring finger. I believe I have an "injection-induced axillary nerve injury", a neuromuscular injury after an intramuscular influenza vaccination. If my pain persists after 8 weeks, I plan on seeing my doctor and requesting diagnostic tests and physiotherapy. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a nerve conductor test, magnetic resonance imagery and physiotherapy treatments. Should I be seen again before 8 weeks? Is there anything now I should be doing?

inquiring

Hi. I'm researching people who have had flu shots and arm pain/nerve damage and would like to interview patients about their experiences. Please contact me or let me know where to contact you and I can explain further. Thanks very much for your help on this important topic.

Anonymous (reply to inquiring)

I got my flu shot from a free clinic my city was conducting, I have gotten them before, just normal sore arm for the day of and maybe one day afterwards. It is going on three weeks now. I have such pain from the injection site down my arm. I cannot hold my purse or lift things with out having pain, In the mornings i cannot strength my arm at all terrible pain. It is hard to sleep, I feel bad all over from the pain in my arm. If I am not better by the end of January, I will have to go to my doctor to see if she can help with the pain.

Harmony (reply to inquiring)

I would like to talk to you about my injury. Are you researching all women or a certain demographic? I am Canadian and had my flu shot in October. 2014 in Toronto.

Anonymous (reply to inquiring)

I also received the flu shot this year and my arm has been killing me! It hurts to drive, put on a coat, shower..... If I leave the arm in one position for any time at all, its like I am not able to move it.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: