Flu

Flu Guide

ask: Pain in arm after flu shot

By ouch2

I had a flu shot Sept. 2008 and remember it hurt when given. Since then I have pain in my upper arm and shoulder (it's now been a year). I believe it is nerve damage from the needle going to deep. I have had an MRI. meds and now going to Chiro with no relief. I cant't put my arm behind my back or lift it over my head and forget about putting weight on it. Does anyone know of relief for this condition?

Thanks

Robin Montgomery

I just got on to check and see if this was a problem with others. I got a flue shot back in Sept and since then have had pain in my right arm starting at the injection site and going up into my shoulder and down my arm into my fingertips. Makes it very hard to type. Any ideas or suggestions for what will help?

Anonymous (reply to Robin Montgomery)

I am having the same problem, from the injection site down through my wrist and into my thumb. Its like a dull annoying pain. I keep rubbing my forearm and hand and shaking it, nothing is helping.....

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Robin Montgomery)

Hi Robin

Please scroll through this thread for suggestions - there are lots of them! 

Good luck-

Anonymous

I received a flu shot a couple weeks ago and at first the pain afterward was just a little stiff. Now, mainly at the end of my work day when I do a lot of writing, I have this sharp pain run down my arm like someone is taking a razor and slicing my arm; feels like a fresh cut every time. It hurts all the way down to my hand. I have to stop and rest for a minute to get the pain to stop but once I start writing again, it starts hurting again. I think I may have to see a physician soon. This has never happened before when I got a flu shot

Anonymous

had my flu shor administered two months ago. I had normal soreness but then it persisted and has been getting worse. I have difficulty putting my arms over my head and certain movements cause sudden sharp pains close to the injection site. I saw my sociopath today and am hoping that after a few sessions she will help provide me with some relief. I will update and hope that it may help some of you.

Joy n pain

I received a flu shot at Medexpress Oct. 2013A few days later I started having terrible pain in the upper arm where I received my shot. Every day, all day long since, I have suffered with pain. Sometimes it shoots down my arm. It hurts when i try to play w my grand kids. when in the vehicle and I reach to gv them something I lift it to put on a shirt or take it off, to get something out of an upper cabinet, or even having different possitions during sex. Basically anything I do is very difficult to get comfortable at night and sleep. I usually wake up on and off through out the niteI can't sleep on my right side. I dont know what to do. I called where I had the shots and she said couldn't possibly b something they did. Right ok. But I had gastric by pas 10 years ago so I can't take alieve or any kind of NSAIDS. What if anything can be done. It's so depressing not being able to play and take care of the babies or anything else. I feel so helpless.

Anonymous

I had the flu shot in early October, 2013, and have severe pain at the injection site. The pain also goes into my shoulder, forearm and back of the arm, and can't lift at all. I've had an x-ray which was suggested by my doctor, with no problem being seen. I also reported it to Stop & Shop Pharmacy where I got it. They sent papers to fill out. I am going to have a CT scan to see if that shows anything. Never had a problem with pain in my arm before, and now 3 months since the shot the pain seems to be worse. HELP!!! Lou

Anonymous

OK SO I JUSTGOT THE FLU SHOT THIS MORNING AND MY FINGERS ON THE ARM I RECIEVED IT ARE SUPER COLD AND MY WHOLE ARM IS TINGLING.DID ANYONE ELSE GET THIS SAME REACTION. AND MY AR IS SUPER SORE.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Both of these symptoms have been documented here on EmpowHER. I hope these symptoms have subsided for you.

I also received the flu shot several weeks ago and my arm hurts so bad. I can hardly lift small items with my left arm and it feels very heavy. It is very hard for me to sleep at night and if anyone grabs my arm, I scream very loudly from extreme pain. It has also been hard to shower and bathe with my left arm and forget trying to place it behind my head. I am very upset about what has happened to me. I was fine before my co-worker (nurse) gave me the shot. I pray that I will recover from this soon. It is sooo very painful. I am going to try Aleve as someone suggested in an earlier post. At this point, I am willing to try whatever will help relieve the pain.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: