ask: Pain in arm after flu shot

I had a flu shot Sept. 2008 and remember it hurt when given. Since then I have pain in my upper arm and shoulder (it's now been a year). I believe it is nerve damage from the needle going to deep. I have had an MRI. meds and now going to Chiro with no relief. I cant't put my arm behind my back or lift it over my head and forget about putting weight on it. Does anyone know of relief for this condition?

Thanks

Anonymous

This just so bizarre that so many people are having the same situation that im having.Receiving the flu vaccine myself for twenty years until oct 2015 getting my flu shot from walgreens I noticed having pain for weeks afterward at injection area,a few weeks after still having pain the pain increased in entire shoukder down forearm and right up to neck. Ok perhaps I injured myself doing something stupid.I will just shake it off like i usasally have done in the past.To my surprise hear I am five months later with same pain,with limited motion,cant sleep without a lot discomfort and still pain at injection point.Perhaps its time to see my doctor

I am having the exactly symptoms. At first, I thought I had done something to my arm at the gym, but it's lasted way too long for that a a number of sessions of medical massage are not really helping. Have you reported this to the government site that tracks adverse vaccine reactions? I've contacted my doctor and discovered my vaccine was made by sanofi pasteur, and I'm definitely going to post all the info on the website -- it's https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

I had my flu shot December 30th. Went to allthe Dr.s and nothing was really working. I went to accupuncture and massage therapy. By six weeks I was able to use my arm, with some pain, but much better. I still have weakness and some pain, but it is tolerable. Even PT didn't do anything. Give this a try

Anonymous

I had the flu shot in November 2014 and my arm still hurts so bad. I can't put it behind my pain, or lift above my head. The pain is worst in the morning if I sleep on the arm and even when I don't. My doctor says the needle is not long enough to have caused any damage. I have had an x-ray of my upper arm and shoulder but it showed nothing wrong. I need some relief. This is beginning to be debilatating!

Anonymous

I had the flu vaccine last September. Although I can feel a lump and have muscle pain in my upper arm, my doctor still denies it can be anything to do with the jab and hasn't even examined me.

Anonymous

Following this blog as I ma having the same problems. Had a flu shot in Nov. 2013 and her it is more than a year later and I am still having problems with my arm. I have had 2 sets of x-rays and 3 MRI's, taken steroids both orally and by shot and still have no relief.

Anonymous

I've been going through the same thing. Been in Therapy for 5 weeks now but still have pain in my upper arm and shoulder thought the pain was because I fell but now I know it isn't. I still can't reach behind m back. And I wake up with pain.

Anonymous

I too had a flu shot, back in October 2014. My shoulder to my elbow still hurts. Xrays, Ultrasound, and MRI show no damage only some inflammation. I just went to the Ortho and from the MRI he says he's 98% sure its Parsonage-Turner Syndrome. Google that one. Basically it's an injury caused by a surgical procedure, infection, or presto . . . a vaccine. There is no cure for it, just have to wait it out. 18-24 months. My shot was given high on my arm. My primary care doctor said it should have been given in the more muscular area lower on the arm and slightly towards the back of the arm. Too many nerves in the upper arm/shoulder area. It's been 4 months now and it is getting a little less intense. Going to start PT this week to keep range of motion and reverse some of the atrophy of the muscle. Had a 6 day course of steroids that did give a good amount of temporary relief - it was a nice break but don't want to stay on those for the next 18 months. Good Luck everyone.

Thanks for the information. I was injected high up and towards the front of my upper arm.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot on December 30, 2014. I woke up on the 31st in horrible pain. Could not hold my head up straight and could not move my left arm. It was New Yers Eve. I did get an appointment with my chiropractor. No relief. Went to the emergency room because the pain was so great. After 5 hours they gave me a Narcon shot which is for inflamation, a muscle relaxor. After 45 minutes there was no relief so they gave me a pain pill. Friday I called my Dr.s office and could only get an appointment with the PA. She gave me a steriod. Monday there was no relief. Went back to the chiropractor and then went to my Drs. office and demanded that I be seen. I could not even dress myself or put my shoes and socks on. Dr. gave me pain pills and made another appointment for that Thursday to see him and their chiropractor together. After an exam by both they sent me for xrays. After xrays they sent me to a neurologist. Neurologist sent me for an MRI says its probably nerve damage. I started PT last week - don't really think it is helping. Still in pain 24/7. Can't sleep in bed I sleep on the recliner. It has been 4 weeks. What I have been doing that seems to help more than any of the drugs all these Drs. are giving me is acupuncture and massage therapy. I am self-employed and the project I am presently working on is out of Town and I must fly to where I am going. I have not been able to work and for the first 2 weeks I could not even type on my computer except with my right hand and even that hurt. After reading all of other peoples comments at least I am not crazy. I got my shot at a drug store and I was sitting down and he was standing and the shot was way to high on my arm. I am not a medical person, so I had no idea that this was an inappropriate way to give a shot. I have been getting flue shots for at least 25 years. Never had any issue. It took 3 weeks before I got 100 percent movement on my left side. It still hurts to move it and is very stiff.

Flu

Flu Guide

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: