ask: Pain in arm after flu shot

I had a flu shot Sept. 2008 and remember it hurt when given. Since then I have pain in my upper arm and shoulder (it's now been a year). I believe it is nerve damage from the needle going to deep. I have had an MRI. meds and now going to Chiro with no relief. I cant't put my arm behind my back or lift it over my head and forget about putting weight on it. Does anyone know of relief for this condition?

Thanks

Anonymous

I have been watching this blog for months now. I had my flu shot December 30, 2014. I am still in pain and lately it appears to be getting worse not better. I am still going to medical massage therapy every other week. That helps temporarily. I took all the drugs, steriods, pain pills, Neuotrin, temporarily. I cannot live and work on that crap. It hurts when I sleep and hurts in the morning. After 5 months I would think it would be better,not worse. Have trouble getting jackets,shirts,etc.on. Think I may go back to acupuncture as it appeared to give me some relief before. Of course all these things I do are not covered by insurance. I have my annual physical this month and will be interested to see what the Dr. says now. Thanks for everyones input. It helps to know I'm not crazy.

Anonymous

This just so bizarre that so many people are having the same situation that im having.Receiving the flu vaccine myself for twenty years until oct 2015 getting my flu shot from walgreens I noticed having pain for weeks afterward at injection area,a few weeks after still having pain the pain increased in entire shoukder down forearm and right up to neck. Ok perhaps I injured myself doing something stupid.I will just shake it off like i usasally have done in the past.To my surprise hear I am five months later with same pain,with limited motion,cant sleep without a lot discomfort and still pain at injection point.Perhaps its time to see my doctor

I am having the exactly symptoms. At first, I thought I had done something to my arm at the gym, but it's lasted way too long for that a a number of sessions of medical massage are not really helping. Have you reported this to the government site that tracks adverse vaccine reactions? I've contacted my doctor and discovered my vaccine was made by sanofi pasteur, and I'm definitely going to post all the info on the website -- it's https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

I had my flu shot December 30th. Went to allthe Dr.s and nothing was really working. I went to accupuncture and massage therapy. By six weeks I was able to use my arm, with some pain, but much better. I still have weakness and some pain, but it is tolerable. Even PT didn't do anything. Give this a try

Anonymous

I had the flu shot in November 2014 and my arm still hurts so bad. I can't put it behind my pain, or lift above my head. The pain is worst in the morning if I sleep on the arm and even when I don't. My doctor says the needle is not long enough to have caused any damage. I have had an x-ray of my upper arm and shoulder but it showed nothing wrong. I need some relief. This is beginning to be debilatating!

Anonymous

I had the flu vaccine last September. Although I can feel a lump and have muscle pain in my upper arm, my doctor still denies it can be anything to do with the jab and hasn't even examined me.

Anonymous

Following this blog as I ma having the same problems. Had a flu shot in Nov. 2013 and her it is more than a year later and I am still having problems with my arm. I have had 2 sets of x-rays and 3 MRI's, taken steroids both orally and by shot and still have no relief.

Anonymous

I've been going through the same thing. Been in Therapy for 5 weeks now but still have pain in my upper arm and shoulder thought the pain was because I fell but now I know it isn't. I still can't reach behind m back. And I wake up with pain.

Anonymous

I too had a flu shot, back in October 2014. My shoulder to my elbow still hurts. Xrays, Ultrasound, and MRI show no damage only some inflammation. I just went to the Ortho and from the MRI he says he's 98% sure its Parsonage-Turner Syndrome. Google that one. Basically it's an injury caused by a surgical procedure, infection, or presto . . . a vaccine. There is no cure for it, just have to wait it out. 18-24 months. My shot was given high on my arm. My primary care doctor said it should have been given in the more muscular area lower on the arm and slightly towards the back of the arm. Too many nerves in the upper arm/shoulder area. It's been 4 months now and it is getting a little less intense. Going to start PT this week to keep range of motion and reverse some of the atrophy of the muscle. Had a 6 day course of steroids that did give a good amount of temporary relief - it was a nice break but don't want to stay on those for the next 18 months. Good Luck everyone.

Thanks for the information. I was injected high up and towards the front of my upper arm.

Flu

Flu Guide

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: