Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

ask: The pill and breast/areola changes

By Emily B

So I have been taking the pill for four months now and I've noticed that my breasts are more full and feel bigger and my areolas are wider and puffier looking, my period is coming in two days and I just noticed these things happen about a week ago. Could my birth control pills have something to do with it all from the changing hormones? Or could it be that it's just my hormones before my period that's doing this? I have never really noticed this happen before, not to this extent anyway.

Additional info:
My breasts aren't sensitive, they don't hurt, tingle or anything like that when there's pressure on them.
They aren't leaking or anything like that.
I also am taking the pill because I have PCOS and my periods were very irregular before, so this is like puberty happening for me now.

Hello Emily B,

It is likely that the birth control pills are responsible for the changes in your breast. The increase in breast size depends both on the woman and the type of birth control pill used.

Estrogen and progestin, the hormones found in birth control pills, often lead to an increase in breast size. In general, this reverses after a few cycles or when you stop taking the pill.

The estrogen and progesterone in birth control pills can also lead to breast tissue growth, in which case the change in breast size tends to be more constant.

I think this second explanation apples to you. As you said, puberty is happening to you now.

Regards,

Emily B (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thank you very much! :)

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: