Pinching sensation in Nipple

I'm 23 - and for the past couple of months I have experienced a pinching in my right nipple. When I first felt it I thought it might be linked to ovulation, so I noted it down. However over the past few months I've noticed that there is no correlation with my period/ovulation and the feeling seems to come on sporadically.

It lasts from around 1-5 mins and it feels as though two needles are being poked into my aerola. Needless to say it's very uncomfortable!

I am not taking any contraceptive.

there is a history of breast cancer in my family (it took my grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother etc) so it's never far from my mind and is a constant worry.

Should I visit the doctor? I'm afraid of going and normally avoid it at all costs! I have checked myself and see no dimples, no change in nipple size, colour or shape. I feel no lumps... but then I don't know exactly what I'm feeling for.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks -
'Grateful and worried'

Hi Grateful and Worried

Nipples are very sensitive. Most breast cancers are felt by a lump in the breast area by a doctor or the woman herself, or. they are detected via a mammogram or ultrasound. 

You could have some nerves in your nipple area that occasionally cause this to happen. This can happen in many woman and is sometimes in line with their menstrual cycle.  Since you have been tracking this quite carefully, however, this may not be the case. But don't rule it out. 

If you continue to be worried, you do need to see a doctor. It's not a comfortable situation, I know, but it's something that has to be done. Think of how good you'll feel when you get the all clear. 

You're right, I should go really! Thank you Susan :)

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide