Q: 

Pregnant from towel?

This story is rather embarrassing, but about 6 weeks ago I masturbated against a towel. Then I realized that the towel had been used and this horrifying idea popped into my head, what if my brother used the towel and got sperm on it, or had wiped off on it?
Could I get pregnant through this? I have been on birth control 5 months but it actually IRREGULATED my period. I know people say you can't get pregnant from a towel but my situation's a little different since I used it in that way. Well, two weeks after that I got my "period." However, since I use the pill I just have light brown bleeding. And I know that if you are pregnant you can have the same type of bleeding. The thing that concerns me most is all the "pregnancy" symptoms I've been having. I've felt nauseous for about 3 weeks probably and my boobs having been hurting BAD for about 2, and they never hurt like that. I also get dizzy after large meals. I took 2 pregnancy tests after the 5th week, and they were negative but all the syptoms I'm having are of pregnancy. I am horrified at this whole situation. Is pregnancy possible? Also, my brother is only 10.

Anonymous

No Susan, you were completely insensitive and offensive in your comment. A young girl came to this website for advice which you could've just responded with, "Breathe easy, the sperm on the towel died long ago if your brother even had used it beforehand. No need to get paranoid about it. The soreness and sickness could be all related to anxiety and your anxiety over this situation. It's all just an over-reaction, but to prevent your anxiety in the future I'd suggest keeping your own towel in your room in case for future "you" times".

Instead you decide to throw her to psychiatry, call her obsessive, and make it out to be something that it obviously isn't. You can't get pregnant from a 10-year-old, Susan? I'm sorry, but how far does your education go? Puberty in boys can start as young as 8, and typically it begins between the ages of 9-13. So to answer YOUR ignorance, yeah it can happen.

She's obviously young, and she obviously hasn't had any sexual experience which results in why she's scared. She came looking for advice, and I hope that (since this is years after the fact) that she found it by someone who wasn't as judgmental as you.

I pray you don't give advice like your comments to other people seeking help.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Anon. We welcome all opinions!

Anonymous

I know this is years old, but I must point out how incredibly rude and judgmental your comment makes you sound, Susan, You are looking down on this person for their question when in a person with anxiety, these fixations are often a part of every day life, no matter how "troublesome" they seem to be to outside people.

Nothing rude or judgmental (very over-used word!) at all about my posts! I am practical and sensible and anyone who thinks they can get impregnated by a 10 year old relative - and has obsessive thoughts about it - has anxiety issues that need to be professionally addressed.

Anonymous

I'm pretty sure it was dry or almost completely dry but now I'm so freaked out I can hardly stand it.

We have answered this question as best we can. We're sorry we haven't been able to ease your mind. We can no longer answer this question (or it's variants) as our initial answers still apply.

I think it's a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor and talk to him/her about your anxiety levels.

Good luck to you,

~Susan

It is definitely 100% not possible...at least as long as the towel was dry. Sperm can only live outside the body for 20 minutes to an hour tops. Once the semen is dry the sperm is dead. So the question is, was the towel dry? You need to explain the situation fully and honestly to a dr because it could be a serious problem. However if you are still developing the tenderness in your breasts could be growing pains. And the odds of you getting pregnant while on birth control are slim. The way birth control works is it tricks your body into thinking it is already pregnant.

Anonymous

And if not, I'd need some advice about these painful breasts - which supposedly if they "were" fibrocystic, they pain would usually leave with the period, but it hasn't.

Anonymous

Is there 100% no way? I know it is an irrational question but at the same time I have all these weird things going on- extreme thirst, dizziness, nausea..(ongoing). My boobs are still hurting. I felt them and felt "lumps" in them, the nurse sent me for an ultrasound on them to see if they were fibrocystic or anything and they said there was nothing seen on the ultrasound. They have been hurting for almost a month now. I guess I am so concerned because of all the things people say on the internet, about how really strange things can happen sometimes. This is really ruining my summer, and I have talked to my mom about it but I really don't feel much better..(Because of all the "signs" I'm having).
I trust your advice but could you explain to me why this kind of thing couldn't happen? People say that if there is sperm that comes near your vagina you could get pregnant.
I really do hope I'm just over-reacting.

I have to agree that it's a rather troublesome notion that would pop into your head; that you masturbated with a towel and then wondered if your 10 year old brother had deposited sperm into the towel somehow before and has gotten you pregnant.

This cannot happen.

How old are you?  Do you normally fixate on these kinds of things? Do you know if something would have triggered such thoughts?

Your symptoms are not that of pregnancy from your 10 year old brother from the situation you describe. Anon, this is a situation you made up in your head. If you feel you need to talk to someone about this, then it's a good idea to talk to your doctor.

~Susan

Tags: