Preventing Acid Reflux

By Anonymous December 6, 2008 - 10:55am

I just met a guy that has bad acid reflux and actually went to the emergency room due to the severe nature of the attack. To save from embarrassment, can someone tell me what it is and what can we do to prevent outbreaks of this? Do you have to stay away from certain foods, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Miscortes, I want to chime in to make sure you and your friend understand the condition you inquired about on your posting. Was he diagnosed acid reflux during his last visit to the ER or does he have a history of it? In other words was that just an acute case or is it a chronic condition and he is already taking meds to help alliviate the symptoms? Has he consulted a GI doctor? Those will be very important things to consider.

There is some good information that was posted on Nov 18 here on EMPOWHER that can help understand the differences between GER, GERD, Acid Reflux, etc. I suggest you read the several postings there.

Thanks for the information. These things are good to know when trying to cook dinner. I am not familiar with the issues and certainly don't want to hurt someone in the process of getting to know someone. Thanks again.

Hi Melissa

Your friend would not be the first to go to the ER, possibly thinking he was suffering from a heart attack. My husband has a co-worker who had an ambulance waiting for him at the airport as he landed, thinking he had a heart attack. He was mortified when he realized he had a bad attack of heartburn!

It must be said, however, that serious symptoms need to be seen to. I just read a story on CNN where a man at an ER was told he had heartburn and later died of heart failure.

Heart burn can be very painful - and quite scary.

Pregnancy is a factor in heartburn that is almost impossible to avoid, since it's caused by an large and rapidly expanding abdomen. It usually ends a few seconds after giving birth.

Other people are very susceptible to heartburn based on what they eat, as you suggested. Spicy foods, hot foods and acid filled foods like citrus fruits or tomatoes. I have a friend who avoids pizza like the plague, due to the tomato/marinara sauce. He automatically gets heartburn if he eats it.

Rich foods like chocolate or fried foods can also trigger an attack. Smokers are more prone to heartburn, as well as those who are overweight.

In order to avoid heartburn, foods like any kind of grain,cereals, apples, bananas, carrots, green beans, peas, lean beef, chicken breast, jacket potatoes, and rice are good ideas.

Antacids like Tums can ease symptoms, as can H2 blockers like Zantac (my best friend through pregnancy!).

Others prefer Proton Pump Inhibitors like Prilosec or Preacid.

Surgery is available in serious cases.

Some natural methods include the herb marshmallow (marshmallow tea) as well as aloe vera juice.

Lastly, a diet high in antioxidants is recommended.

Heartburn (GERD)

Heartburn (GERD) Guide