Pregnancy Guide

ask: Progesterone levels 1 week after ovulation are 14.6

By Tonya

My fertility test never showed that i ovulated the last 2 months so I went to my doctor. One week after my suspected date of ovulation my progesterone level was 14.6. What in the world does this mean. Is it good or should it be higher?

Anonymous

Hi there,
i would really appreciate your help here s my situation :

i took Clomid pils starting on day 3 of my period and i did alson IUI and what i got on the day 7 results :
Progesterone
62.5 nmol/L (Roche - Electrochemiluminescence)

(Less than 3.8) Prepubertal
(0.6 - 4.7) Follicular
(2.4 - 9.4) Midcycle
(5.3 - 86.0) Luteal
(0.3 - 2.5) Postmenopausal

thank you for your help

Anonymous

@Anonymous - I am also taking Clomid. I just finished my 1 round my progesterone on day 23 29 , is it good or not

Anonymous

I was tested this morning which is the 24th day of my cycle. The doctor just called and said my level was 1.9 and that it was good. Now I am confused.

Anonymous

I usally take clomid but im now going to a new doc so i didn't take clomid last mo. but he took my labs on day 23 and it was a 13.3 is that good? i asked them and they said yes but im no longer seening that dcotor he was kinda crazy.

@Anonymous - I am also taking Clomid. I just finished my third round of pills this month and my OB had my progesterone levels tested on my cycle day 23, also, to make sure that I was producing enough to nurture a pregnancy. I just heard my results and my levels were at 14! The Nurse told me that was very good, my OB only wanted them to be over 10! So, I think that you have had great news! Best of luck to you : )

Anonymous

watch out for progesterone units s there are two types . ng/ml where normal ovulation likely above 10. and nmol/l where normal ovulation likely above 30. there is a conversion factor of 3.18.

isnt it other way around ? 10for nmol and 30 for ngml

Hi Tonya,

Here is a brief "scientific" explanation of how progesterone and ovulation are linked:

The "ovulatory phase" begins with a surge in two hormones (produced by the pituitary gland): LH and FSH. LH stimulates egg release (ovulation), which usually occurs 16 to 32 hours after the surge begins. The estrogen level peaks during the surge, and the progesterone level starts to increase.

The estrogen and progesterone's purposes are then to stimulate the uterus to prepare for possible fertilization.

When the egg is not fertilized, the progesterone level decreases, and menstruation occurs.

As far as the progesterone level range, it is important to ask for a written copy of the lab results, as each lab's "normal ranges" differ slightly. You can call your doctor's office, to request a copy. The lab result will have your number (14.6), along with the normal range. As mentioned above, the progesterone levels change dramatically, depending on what "phase" you are in, related to your cycle.

I think it is important to talk with the nurse or doctor about what this number means for you specifically, as I can only provide basic lab result ranges, and do not know how they relate to your situation. What did your doctor recommend?

Here are one lab's progesterone ranges, depending on cycle phase. Please know these are approximations, to give you an idea of what your 14.6 means:
Follicular phase (before ovulation) 0.2 - 1.4 ng/mL
Luteal phase (1-8 days after ovulation) 3.3 - 25.0 ng/mL
Mid-luteal phase (9-14 days after ovulation) 4.4 - 28.0 ng/mL

Please confirm this with your doctor, but your results of "14.6 one week after suspected ovulation" falls within the normal range for being in the luteal phase, within the 7 days after ovulation.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions, and here is another source of information:
http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/progesterone.html

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :