Scoliosis

Scoliosis Guide

ask: Scoliosis with a bump on ribcage between breasts

By MagicGal

I was diagnosed 7 months ago with Scoliosis. I am 44 years old.

Have a gentle upper thoracic scoliosis convex to the right and a second gentle mid lumbar scoliosis convex to the left. With the thoracic results I am told my bones appear 'osteopenic' and so I am drinking as much yogurt as I can. Milk upsets my stomach.

I have a bump between my breasts on the rib cage which enlarges and then decreases. My dr. only said it is the last bone in my body to calcify. Sometimes this bump hurts especially when I bend over and put pressure on my chest.

Would like to know if this is another Scoliosis 'thing' to worry about?

Thank you.

Anonymous

I too am having problems with a lump between my rib cage. I am having major lower and mid back problems. The last exray I have had on my back was a two years ago. My back was completely curved to the right. Now i am suffering with way worse back problems. My legs hurt along with everything else from my mid back down. Then just recently a few weeks ago, I noticed a lump between my rib cage. Sometimes I feel it more than others, especially when I lay down on my side. I am going in next week to get an MRI on my back, and then will find out the results. But it is at least reasuring that I am not alone with this.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm so sorry you are suffering with this. Please let us know how your MRI went and we're here for support! Good luck next week!
~Susan

Anonymous

Hey, this struck a chord. I have mild scoliosis (diagnosed at age 13). It didn't require treatment and I don't suffer from back pain. But what seems familiar in your post is the breast bone thing -- mine sticks out too far and is uneven, so it looks almost like I broke something in there!

Hope you get things figured out so you can start feeling better soon.

Cary Cook BSN RN (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for visiting the site and sharing. It really does help others, even when it seems small to you.

Dear MagicGal

Thanks so much for your question and welcome! I'm sorry you are dealing with this (and I don't hear about a diagnosis at 44 very often!).

With regard to your breast bone - did your doctor tell you of any treatment for this problem, or did he simply explain what was going on, in terms of this calcification?

Please allow us a few days to contact an expert in order to help you further. I hope to hear back from you soon and thank you for your patience!
~Susan

MagicGal (reply to Susan Cody)

I have had back pain my entire life. I was always told I had 'mechanical back issues' and sent on my way. My entire adult life and end of teenage years I have been seeing chiropractor after chiropractor. All because of constant back pain. Last year my chiropractor took 'fresh' xrays to see what is going on. He told me 'AS' and sent me to my doctor. My doctor sent me for hospital xrays which showed bone spurs but NO sign of AS and once again I was sent away to deal with the back pain myself.

I begged my doctor to please please please send me for an MRI because I couldn't handle this pain and was living off Tylenol Extra Strength to make it through the day. He sent me to see an Arthritis Specialist who examined me. Weirdest appt ever! First the specialist wanted me to touch my toes! I couldn't bend to touch my toes and was in incredible pain!

He then asked me to sit on his table and stretch out my legs which he measured. He sent me to see an orthotics specialist for orthotics.
He also sent me for a complete spinal xray which finally revealed my mystery back pain - Scoliosis!

re: my breast bone. My doctor said it was the last bone in the body to calcify and I was at the correct age for it to happen. I asked my mom and friends my age and none of them have this bump. Just me.

Thank you, Susan, for your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Cary Cook BSN RN (reply to MagicGal)

Hi MagicGal

I'm sorry it took you so long to get a diagnosis.

I have not heard of that bump enlarging and shrinking. Did you discuss with your doctor that this is happening? Is it positional? Meaning does it change when you change position? Or does it change when you are not moving?

Because scoliosis curves your spine, it affects everything attached to your spine. So it curves your ribcage as well, and sometimes people have a sort of flare out of their ribs on one side, too. The deformities depend on the curvature.

The American Academy of Orthapaedic Surgeons has a good discussion of scoliosis: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00236.

If you would like to discuss this further, please let us know.