Q: 

severe muscle pain and weakness all over body after flu shot?

On October 1st, I had a flu shot, not the H1N1, just the regular flu shot. I've had the flu shot many times before with muscle pain and soreness in the arm that the injection was received in that usually subsided within a few days.

This time however, the pain was almost unbearable and seemed to be "spreading" to other parts of my body.

The first night it was just my upper arm. The second night it was my upper arm, pec muscle, muscles of the underarm, and muscles in the upper corner of my back. It was excrutiating and was slightly relieved with 800mg of ibuprofen.

The third night it was also in the muscles on the side of my neck.

The fourth night it was starting to travel down my arm into my hand and wrist. At this point I was also experiencing weakness and difficulty holding or picking up objects.

By the the end of the weak it had radiated to the other side of my body. So basically my entire upper body was painful and weak. Both arms, both upper back, both pec muscles etc... Again I'm taking 800mg ibuprofen around the clock which does slightly relieve the pain. I'm also using heating pads which slightly relieve the pain as well.

It has now been almost two weaks and it has radiated to my lower back, my stomach (as if i just did a hundred situps), my hands, my thighs, my calfs. I feel weak and am having trouble just sitting at the computer typing or picking up a drink.

As far as I know the flu shot can't cause this kind of reaction but, what else could this be??

Anonymous

My granddaughter, a 15 month-old baby, has received a flu shot in Oct 25, 2016. Within 2 weeks she developed arthritis in her knee. As she was so small at the time, we couldn't know if she was in pain prior to the onset of swelling in her joints, but we did notice that she was not walking the same way as before the vaccination. She was a perfectly healthy child prior to the vaccine, very energetic and strong. Just days before the vaccine, we took her for a long walk to a park, and she couldn't stop running, we had hard time keeping up with her! After the vaccine, not only she had 5 joints swollen, but as septic arthritis was suspected, she had a knee surgery (as the knee was the first, as most obvious), and other joints discovered afterwards. It seems the vaccine triggered the start of the autoimmune disease, as her antinuclear antibodies are now elevated and she is diagnosed with juvenile arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease. To have such a burden for the rest of her life, starting from a vaccine, is just devastating for the whole family. We had very hard time even getting it reported, so it is recorded for any further research showing the connection between the vaccine and autoimmune disease. As we live in Canada, we'll never get any compensation, as Ontario doesn't have vaccine injury program. In any case, I just hope that all of you who reported your case here will be reporting to vaccine reporting program, as this is the only way to show and prove the connection, as it is currently being denied by the standard medicine. Good luck to all of you here, and I hope your problems will go away. After 5 steroid shots, the baby is now doing ok, and we have assembled a whole team of specialists to get her better. We'd like her to be perfectly healthy again, but how much this is possible, only time will tell.

Anonymous

I received the flu shot in October, 2016. This is now March, 2017, and I am still having extremely painful muscle aches in my extremities, neck, and shoulders. The pain started about 3 days after the flu shot and I still have it. I had a severe reaction with extreme overall body aches, to a statin drug a few years ago that was very similar to this pain I have now. Is there any research on these side effects? I will not be getting the flu shot anymore based on the side effects I have now.

My situation sounds very similar. I got the flu shot November 10th. Three days later sever pain started in one arm and hand. Than came numbness. Four days later it was both hands feet arms and legs. And my mouth was numb. I've been hospitalized. All kinds of tests. Everything came back normal. 4 months later and the pain is still so bad at timed. Along with lack of fine motor skills and short term memory loss. I'm seeing a new neurologist next week and hoping for some answers. Please let me know if you learn anything about what this could be. I want my life back. Best of luck to you.

Hello Anon

It's difficult to find studies on pain/damage from shots since so many are funded by large pharmaceutical companies. Results can be skewered.

You need to report this vaccination reaction to the FDA - there is a section on the home page that links you to the correct place.

Talk to your doctor about physical or occupational therapy. Both can help.

Anonymous

I had a reaction of muscle pain and stiffness in the large muscles of both legs after a flu shot about 15 years ago. I was rocking up and down on my feet trying to stretch out as I waited for my patient in Radiology when the radiologist asked me what I was doing. When I answered that I was having a terrible drawing pain in my calves and hamstrings, he looked at me and said, "You had the flu shot about 3 weeks ago didn't you? That's one of the lesser known side effects." That lasted for several weeks.
This season I had the flu shot and 3 1/2 weeks later, I began with the same symptoms, which then progressed to excruciating pain in my right knee- to the point I could barely walk. It has been almost 7 weeks and I am better but I have to step carefully and stretch out the right leg each and every time I stand.
Has anyone seen this documented in the flu literature? I have to get the flu shot each year as a condition of employment and am concerned that repeated doses may result in increased side effects for me.

Anonymous

I don't recognize myself. Prior to being given a flu shot during the same visit at dr's office after being diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection, and being given a shot for that, as well as being given an nebulizer (and Zpack prescription), I was fine. I also shared with dr that I was experiencing a tender pain on left leg a little under kneecap towards the inside, but not the side of the leg. Naxoproxen was prescribed. After the flu shot was given, a few days later, swollen ankles occurred on both feet that would not go away. A week later, joint pain inside elbow joints that left me weak, and needed to be stretched in the morning due to stiffness joined the swollen ankles issue. The other leg then joined in with pain radiating from right leg, a little under the kneecap towards the inside, but not the side of the leg. Arthritis then started creeping in from elbow down towards wrists. That's when I got really scared, that joints were being added to the list, that arthritis was settling in. Different Doctor's office ran blood work (I had called rheumatoid arthritis dr office and was told which tests to run prior to visit). Rheumatoid factor was abnormal (high). All this began due to the flu shot and its complications. I am still trying my best to get through each day, but I'm not me anymore. The ankles feel like they are sprained, or broken. I can barely walk when it flares (due to weather and humidity). On sunnier days, I get closer to how I used to be, but during these cold winter months, its hard. I take Naxoproxen (that was originally prescribed, only when absolutely necessary for work or a function I will need to attend where I'll be on my feet, but it just numbs the pain, and I'm worried about spraining my ankle. Otherwise I bear the pain, and am waiting for both my ankle/foot dr's office to set up appt, and am waiting to see the rheumatoid arthritis specialist. I am young, & probably had a reaction to flu shot due to already having a compromised immune system due to being sick, and just being an regular stressed adult with a low immune system. Whatever the case, It's painful, but I'm a fighter, and I'm trying to get answers. Symmetrical issues pertaining to joints. Thought I was going crazy, and this website helped. Thank you.

Anonymous

I received the flu shot about 12 days ago. (Right arm.) Felt fine, except that as that day wore on, my right knee started to stiffen up. By the end of the day it had gotten quite stiff and sore...both in the muscles above my knee, and in the knee joint itself. I would declare it acute...to the point that I favor that knee when I walk, I cannot flex my knee fully without pain and stiffness, and my knee joint itself is very painful, right behind and to the inside of my kneecap.
At no time did I wrench my knee, didn't bump it or bruise it...leading me to think this flu shot is responsible for this reaction. I have NEVER had such a reaction before.

Got the flu shot 5 days ago and 3 days ago my knees started getting sore I cant walk on them now the pain is so severe.How long should I expect this to last

Anonymous

I took the flu shot because my husband insisted this is the 2nd time I've had these side effects My hands arms elbows an shoulders, I can't even straighten out my arm now the pain is terrible. Back an also neck pains I will never take another flu shot it's been 6 months now 2 years ago I had pain for over 16 months

Anonymous

Just received a flu shot for the first time. First night my knee was in pain and I couldn't sleep. The next day it's knees, feet, toes arms and neck. I'm not sleeping and feel dragged down; eyes half open. Coffee didn't help bring me out of it. The sleepy head that is..
Anyway, first flu shot and I better not get the flu this year.

Tags:

Allergies

Allergies Guide

Guide