Allergies

Allergies Guide

ask: severe muscle pain and weakness all over body after flu shot?

On October 1st, I had a flu shot, not the H1N1, just the regular flu shot. I've had the flu shot many times before with muscle pain and soreness in the arm that the injection was received in that usually subsided within a few days.

This time however, the pain was almost unbearable and seemed to be "spreading" to other parts of my body.

The first night it was just my upper arm. The second night it was my upper arm, pec muscle, muscles of the underarm, and muscles in the upper corner of my back. It was excrutiating and was slightly relieved with 800mg of ibuprofen.

The third night it was also in the muscles on the side of my neck.

The fourth night it was starting to travel down my arm into my hand and wrist. At this point I was also experiencing weakness and difficulty holding or picking up objects.

By the the end of the weak it had radiated to the other side of my body. So basically my entire upper body was painful and weak. Both arms, both upper back, both pec muscles etc... Again I'm taking 800mg ibuprofen around the clock which does slightly relieve the pain. I'm also using heating pads which slightly relieve the pain as well.

It has now been almost two weaks and it has radiated to my lower back, my stomach (as if i just did a hundred situps), my hands, my thighs, my calfs. I feel weak and am having trouble just sitting at the computer typing or picking up a drink.

As far as I know the flu shot can't cause this kind of reaction but, what else could this be??

Anonymous

I received the flu shot Nov 2013, and the first sign that something was wrong was I had to have my ring cut off my very fat finger. My hands continued to swell until they looked like a cartoon. The weakness followed, and by the end of Dec I was unable to manage stairs or to get into a car. It was unbearable! I tried everything, Doctors said that it could not possibly be the flu shot - but it was the only thing that was different from my usual routine. I tried everything the doc's prescribed - to no avail, went to accupuncture - no help, chiropractor, no help - and finally I found a guy that does Electro-Shock Therapy - this was the saving grace. He stated that my muscles had contracted and he gave me several "shocks" (it is virtually painless) and I was much improved in days. I'd rather have the flu than go through what I have been through in the past months!

Anonymous

I got a flu shop in August of 2012. It is now 2014 and my pain is still all over my body. I guess it is reassuring that other people have similar problems. My pain is from my neck to the tips of my fingers and all the way to my toes. I am hoping it will just go away like some of you say, but this has been going on for such a long time. My doctors take blood tests and say there is nothing wrong with me. I have been taking meds that help a little but with out them the pain would be unbearable... even for this long of time. Anyone have any thoughts? :(

Anonymous

Not sure if anyone will see this post after so long, but I have the same symptoms after the flu shot 2013. Feel like I will never be the same, doctors say it is unrelated but I know better. Did your symptoms eventually resolve?

Anonymous

I just got the flu shot, yesterday, & feel awful. Aching all over & sore to touch. I am in bed, with heat pad & taking ibuprofen . Husband is bringing Tylenol , home. I will NOT take it again!

Anonymous

My dad and I are both experiencing horrible symptoms after the flu shot this year. I work on the neurological symptoms constantly and he is of the old school and doesn't believe it came from the flu shot. Anyway we both started with severe lower back pain, and mine has been with me for 4 months. It has attacked all my organs, have pin prick hot feet and hands. My urinary has gone crazy with pain and urgency. If you do too much you start feeling pretty bad.

Anonymous

The same thing has happened to me. I got my flu shot almost 6 weeks ago now. Within 3 days my arm started to really hurt and then I started getting pain in my lymph nodes in the corner of my chest, and underarms. Pain in my back and in between my shoulder blades. I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the doctor and they said it was stress and couldn't be from the flu shot. I insisted on tests and they sent me for a routine blood test, EMR(lymphatic blood test) and an EKG on my heart. To my surprise for the way I was feeling everything turned out normal. The symptoms seemed to subside for 3 weeks and then came back full force again. Pain in my lymph nodes, it feels like someone is punching not one but both of my arms, and pain in my back. I thought I was going crazy till I saw these posts. Other than a cold or the flu I was in perfect health before this stupid shot. My IBS after I don't know how many years had even cleared up, and now I feel like I am falling apart. I am walking around scared I am dieing because of all these pains I am getting everywhere but yet all tests say I am okay. If you have had any of these symptoms please let me know so I know I am not alone in this, because this is absolutely crazy. Oh by the way for the girl who posted above I had the same thing with the pain going up my neck and into my head, with pain radiating down my back, moving from my spleen to my kidneys to wherever it felt like going at the time. NUTS!

Can you tell me how are you doing rigth now? did your symptoms improve with time ?
Please I having the same problems , please can you help me out here!

Anonymous

i have had the same problems

Anonymous

Thanks, well it is somewhat reassuring to know that others have had this problem. It is just strange that it goes to muscles beyond the arm. I know that is common within 48 hrs of the shot, but it is a cause for worry when it lasts longer. Nonetheless I will keep checking back here for updates.

Anonymous

Thank you for your share. It is very common to have sore muscles from the flu shot as it depends on how far the needle was put in your arm and so forth. It most certainly will just go away with time. Last year, my shot was injected too close to my shoulder and I was sore for about 3 weeks but of course, it just went away with time.

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: