ask: severe muscle pain and weakness all over body after flu shot?

On October 1st, I had a flu shot, not the H1N1, just the regular flu shot. I've had the flu shot many times before with muscle pain and soreness in the arm that the injection was received in that usually subsided within a few days.

This time however, the pain was almost unbearable and seemed to be "spreading" to other parts of my body.

The first night it was just my upper arm. The second night it was my upper arm, pec muscle, muscles of the underarm, and muscles in the upper corner of my back. It was excrutiating and was slightly relieved with 800mg of ibuprofen.

The third night it was also in the muscles on the side of my neck.

The fourth night it was starting to travel down my arm into my hand and wrist. At this point I was also experiencing weakness and difficulty holding or picking up objects.

By the the end of the weak it had radiated to the other side of my body. So basically my entire upper body was painful and weak. Both arms, both upper back, both pec muscles etc... Again I'm taking 800mg ibuprofen around the clock which does slightly relieve the pain. I'm also using heating pads which slightly relieve the pain as well.

It has now been almost two weaks and it has radiated to my lower back, my stomach (as if i just did a hundred situps), my hands, my thighs, my calfs. I feel weak and am having trouble just sitting at the computer typing or picking up a drink.

As far as I know the flu shot can't cause this kind of reaction but, what else could this be??

I am experiencing severe muscle pains all over my body about 9 days after the flu shot. It was my first time getting the shot this year. Everyday it is getting worse and no asprins or pain relievers are helping. How long will this last?!?!? I can't get up or down stairs and am in a ridiculous amount of pain. I can't even write well or make a fist. help!!!

I had the same thing last year after my first ever flu shot, but the pain was mostly at night. Even Hydrocodone didn't relieve the pain. It lasted 1-2 weeks and then slowly got better. I wonder if it is a mild form of Guillain-Barré syndrome? My doctor said my pain was from a virus...no way, it was the shot. Did you also have a terrible sore throat with no other cold symptoms? I stupidly got the flu shot again this year (last Thursday) and I'm scared it's starting again. I have a horrible sore throat and my arms are starting to feel heavy and sore.

I suffer with entire body joint pain but since I have gotten my flu shot my joints are in excruciating pain. I am currently on pain medications but now they are not even getting rid of my pain. I feel fatiqued and having headaches. I have taken flu shots before but have never had such a reaction. I work with patients in therapy so we have no choice but to get one to protect the elderly. I caught the flu last year and it was horrible. So damn if you do damn if you don't.

I had to be NUTs to get a Flu shot. I have only 4 flu shots in my life and this one is killing me with pain two weeks later. Had I Goggled about the Muscle Pain in the arm everyone is having I would have passed on this years shot. Why is there not a warning about the possibility of this happening. The pain in really bad and I can handle a lot of pain as I pass Kidney stones often and this pain in my arm are of the Flu shot is just as bad. Why no outcry about this. I would not subject my worst enemy to this pain. It takes about an hour in the morning to get moving and no over the counter pain killer will touch it. DO NOT GET A FLU SHOT. This is the third week of muscle pain and no relief insight. Where do you go? Been to the Clinic and Toradol was a super help in relief for one day only. But one day with out pain was a miracle. No one at the Clinic has an answer on how to help. You know they know about this reaction but they simply try to tell you it is from something else and I am the only complaint. I come to this sight and many are having my same problems. My arm muscles were fine until the next day after the shot and Walla! I have not been the same since and after two weeks of no sleep I am not a happy camper. I foresee major problems to my body from this and since I am on Medicare there will not be much help. This Flu shot has changed my Life in a bad way and at 71 not sure I can get my comfort back and no one in the Medical Field cares or wants to talk about it or has a solution so I am SCREWED.

I've just read the letters on flue jab pain
I've had very bad back pain with stomach pain for two weeks most of the time in bed ,and sleeping ,,went back to the doctor who didn't know what to do with me just sent me home saying if it gets worce go hospital ,,,,,,,I always had the flue shots but after this never again

I had the flu shot last October and an still in excruciating pain with my left ankle, Very painful to touch or stand.I am a nurse and so this has virtually crippled me on my job. I'm thinking at this point I may have to go on disability. Xrays are normal, now going to start seeing rehab and pain Dr
It is not right that we cannot be compensated for this poison we were given

I had mine Jan 16 2015-This is my complaints ..Muscle issues stiff in back ,stomach and neck..Like I did 200 sit ups..I was active in the gym 2 hours a day to nothing.I have spasms all over and quivers .My BP up and down.Like someone has suddenly made muscle not work or over worked.I seen all kind of doctors and blood work.It is all normal.Do not know what else to do or how long it will last.I reported in online to VAERS.

Glad to know I am not the only one experiencing these symptoms! Had me freaking out!! Tired of the aches and pains. Can hardly make it up and down stairs. Today has been 2 weeks since shot and I feel like I have been working out or something. My muscles hurt so bad and I can barely sleep. Going to the dr in the morning. Gonna see about some of the meds you all mentioned. Thanks for the insight!! Hope were all feeling better soon!!!!

I am experiencing many of the symptoms described above. I got the flu shot on December 7th and here it is January 15th. The pain in my left arm, hand and behind my left knee is excruciating! Going in for my physical tomorrow. Never again!!! I feel like I have been poisoned.

My symptoms were also exactly like it was described. It has been almost 2 and a half months since I got the flu shot. My family doctor did all kinds of tests on me several times. Today rec'd ultrasound, x-rays and blood test results again. Liver function and muscle enzymes all are back to normal range, thank God. All this was very much elevated last month which was scary.

X-rays shows osteoarthritis on both my wrists as well as Osteopenia (starting stage of osteoporosis) on both my knees. No wonder I was and still am in so much of pain. My arm muscles still hurts a lot, pain wakes me up at night. If it becomes unbearable I take ibuprofen to get some relief.

Today doctor suggested I go for physiotherapy and massage therapy, said it will help. Going to book an appointment with them soon.

Allergies Guide

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: