Should I be driving and working during treatment?

By March 8, 2015 - 5:57pm

I'm diagnosed with clinically stage 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Cancer Sloan Memorial Kettering Center, NY will provide me treatment along with chemo, surgery & radiation. My diagnosis has not been completed yet. If they don't find cancer in my lymph nodes can I refuse chemo?
If I have to take chemo how fatigue are the symptoms? Will I be able to drive to work? My work is about 30 miles away from home and I work in a stress free environment from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M.
Does chemo destroy immune system & bones for ever?

Hi Figuredancer

Thanks for your question and welcome.

I'm so sorry you're going through so much.

You can refuse anything you want - you are not mandated to accept any kind of surgery or treatment, just make sure you do a lot of research and a second opinion. 

Some people do ok on treatments like chemo - others cannot work - it depends on the severity of your treatment, the length and how aggressive your cancer is. 

Our own EmpowHER moderator, Maryann Gromisch, RN - a two time cancer survivor says this:

"Side effects of a chemotherapy drug correlate to the specific drug. Prior to the start of treatment, the oncologist will review all possible side effects.

In my personal experience I received 5 different drugs to treat 2 different cancers, a combination of 3 drugs for brain cancer and a combination of 2 drugs for breast cancer.

Fatigue and hair loss were associated with each treatment "cocktail". If properly medicated before chemotherapy infusion, nausea and vomiting are avoided."

There can be some long term affects. 

Read an interesting thread we have here:

Osteoporosis and join pain can be a long term side effect but physical exercise can help ward this off. 

As to whether you can drive - that will be up to you.  You may feel ok to drive or, depending on your body's reaction to the chemo - may need a ride.  You will have to wait and see.  Same for work, but a stress free atmosphere could make all the difference. Just don't push yourself too far, your immune system will be low as it is. 

Will you let us know how things go for you?

We wish you the best-