Should I take chelated zinc or regular zinc?

What is the difference between chelated zinc and regular zinc? Which should I take and why? I have been increasing my intake of vitamins and am in need of adding zinc to my routine.

This is a great question - thank you for asking! 

Zinc in itself is a mineral that helps the body's immune system and healing wounds - it also helps our DNA to function properly. 

Regular zinc on it's own is ok - chelated zinc means other properties are added to the zinc as this increases it's benefits by helping the zinc to be absorbed. Chelation is often done with amino acids or gluconate. Chelation is a better option. 

You can get zinc through many foods, too! Bear in mind that we don't need to much zinc -a supplement every day is not needed if you are getting zinc in a multi-supplement already. 

Foods with zinc include oysters, red meat including lamb, broccoli, nuts, pumpkins and....chocolate (hurrah!). 

Read more in our Vitamin section here: 

Has this information helped you, Anon?

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide