should a mole hurt when pressed?

By Anonymous February 24, 2010 - 9:26am

I have a dark mole on my upper arm that feels 'solid' and hurts when pressed down.
My other dark moles do not feel like they have a defined shape under the skin and do not register any feeling when pressed. It should be noted that my mother died of choroidal melanoma at the age of 65. I am, at present, 55.
Ideas? Comments?

I feel confused about this mole, tried a Home treatment kit. The mole is dark, has become dry flat in shape, but it is noticeable when I touch it. It has a uncomfortable feeling to it. Please help

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The mole needs to be looked at by a physician.

Thank you Susan. I appreciate your very thorough and thoughtful reply. I do not tend to dwell on them and poke at them (ha) I actually discovered them during a massage.
I will take your advice and have them checked. Better to be safe and proactive!
Also, thank you for you kind words on my mother's passing. It was an extremely trying time period and a particularly painful and fearful passing. It has been 10 years and I still recall it as if it were yesterday. I am, now, an huge advocate for the latest technology in eye exams, Optomap Retinal Imaging.
Kindest regards, Teri

Anonymous (reply to tlg6259)

Hi Teri. Hope you are well. I just wanted to check in and see if anything came of this mole. I have the same thing in my arm. I saw my dermatologist and he said it looks fine. Still worries me...

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question!

In your case, I would suggest you think about going to a dermatologist to have this mole (and probably all your moles) looked at carefully.

Signs of mole irregularities include :

Signs that a mole may be atypical include:

◦Sudden change in size, color, shape, texture, or sensation
◦Large size (¼ inch or more across, about the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil)
■Remember though that many melanomas today are found when quite small, often even less than ¼ inch. While the majority of atypical moles of any size are not cancerous, don’t let small size keep you from seeking medical attention for a changing or irregularly shaped mole.
◦A mixture of colors, often including black
◦Irregular edges
◦Abnormal surface that is:
■Oozing liquid
■Open with a sore that won't heal
■Hard and raised lump
◦Itchy, tender, or painful
◦Abnormally colored skin around it

You can read a lot more on our Mole Page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/moles#definition

Even though your mom's choroidal melanoma probably had nothing to do with her skin, it's worth getting everything seen to. And I'm sorry you lost her at a relatively young age - I'm sure that was very hard.

Moles should not be painful. Do you poke around with it a bit? Do you push on it so much that you think this may be causing the pain?

Either way, moles should NOT hurt. And since it's looking and feeling 'different' to your other moles, I think a consultation, sooner rather than later, is a very good idea.

Do you think seeing a doctor soon is possible for you? Remember, time is always of the essence when it comes to our health. Please let me know what you think and I look forward to hearing more from you.