Spasms 5 seconds after swolling. What is it?

I had an intense episode about a month ago. I had tightness in my esophagus track and a swollen upper stomach. It felt like I swollen an ice cube, and really hurt. At its worst, the pain was acute. I had a slight sheen of sweat on my upper lip it hurt so badly. It felt like labor pains. I felt very nauseous all day and the day before too. Then as the day progressed I had severe spasms when I swollowed anything other than water. The spasm hit hard about 3-5 seconds after swollowing. Since then I had a barium swallow test and an upper GI. The doctors cannot tell me why or what was the cause. This has happened to me 3-4 times in last 10 years. Can you shed any light?

Dear Anon

What a dilemma you have - and how frightening! I'm sorry the doctors have been unable to help you.

Do you think you have a severe allergy to something you rarely eat? One of my children has a food allergy that causes severe symptoms as the food is in her throat - it's instant, just like yours. The food she is allergic to is not something she would eat often (although her symptoms are not like yours at all).

I am also wondering if what you had was an anaphylactic shock. From our Encyclopedia, here are some symptoms of anaphylactic shock:

◦Wheezing and/or difficulty breathing
◦Slurred or abnormal speech
◦Rapid heartbeat or heart palpitations, weak or rapid pulse
◦Blue tint to the skin, lips, or fingernails
◦Dizziness, lightheadedness, or feeling faint
◦Hives, rash, or itching
◦Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea , or abdominal cramping
◦Cough or nasal congestion
◦Reddened skin

We have a really informative page on Anaphylaxis here on EmpowHer. : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/anaphylaxis#definition

Of course, we cannot tell you what's wrong or what's causing your symptoms but please take a look and tell me what you think.

I know it's hard to think back, but what were you eating when these symptoms occurred? Were you outside? Is there any common denominator that you can think of? Some kind of pattern that's forming with regard to when this happens and what you were doing/eating each time?

Allergies Guide