Stomach Bloating

My Mother has problems with her stomach that causes her stomach to actually increase in size over two times. She has severe pain that makes activities of daily living very uncomfortable.

She has tried everything over the counter to include things like Gas-Ex.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great. Her doctor actually told her that it is normal. WHAT? I could not believe that myself because I do not have these same issues.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Dr. Susan and Susan...I appreciate the insight into this problem that she has dealt with for several years. I will certainly pass on the information to her and hope for the best.

I will certainly post updates when they come in. Again, thank you.

I can't believe your mom is being told that her belly being swollen to twice it's size is normal!

Your mom could have many issues - one of them being Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS. A bloated stomach is a common symptom of IBS, as well as bloating, diarrhea, gas and cramping.

For more information on IBS, click here

There could also be issues of food intolerance, food allergies, bowel obstruction, or something even more serious like a tumor. I don't say this to scare you but just to show you that a very uncomfortable issue like your mom has should be taken seriously. It is probably something that your mother can have cleared up fairly easily and if not so easily, then your mom can begin treatment now and not live with these kinds of awful symptoms.

A new doctor might be an idea too!

I hope this helps and that your mom feels better soon.

Gastritis Guide