Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Swollen and puffy eyelids in the morning and then get flaky, red and sore during the day...

By drumweaver

Hi there...

Was just wondering... the last 6-8 weeks, i've been waking up with swollen puffy eyelids - which i first thought was seasonal allergies, but it hasn't stopped. As the day goes on, my eyelids skin will get flaky like exzema, flakes off or just looks horrible... sometimes they're sore, red in areas, very dry and sometimes itchy...

Has anyone experienced this? I've never had any problems with skin problems ever nor many allergies ever either... once in a while in the spring...

I've tried many different kinds of natural creams with no relief! What could be causing this? I'm stumped... when i first went to my doctor, she just sent me home with allergy pills and drops that have done nothing but cost me lots of money....

I'd appreciate any help... with much appreciation...
sincerely, carol :o)

Anonymous

I have experienced the exact same condition. After attempting a few remedies, I tried my wife's good old fashioned Noxzema on the eyelids and eyebrows overnight and in the AM. The condition was completely gone in 24 hours. Approximately three to four months later, the condition recurred and again, Noxzema applied (carefully) to the eyelids worked in short order.

Anonymous

I don't wear makeup, I haven't changed anything in my routine but the itchiness has got worse over the last 2-3 days. Only my left eye is affected. I'm stumped at what it could be.

Look up salicylate intolerance

Anonymous

I had the exact same problem as the original post and it continued on and off for almost a year. The eye doc told me to put allergy drops in my eyes. It didn't help. The cure came from the dermatologist....she gave me Rx for Clocortolone Pivalate Cream 1% to put on my eye lids and it worked immediately and scaly puffy eye lids top and bottom back to normal in a few days (only can use max of 10 days) and stayed perfect until skin got dry again in December. I applied the cream again and got immediate relief,same day.
I also discovered that my channel deep purple eye shadow irritates my eyes lids and gets the process started so I switched to Lancôme shadows and ditched the purple and very infrequent problem now even though I'm in the middle of my worst allergy season.
I hope this helps someone find a cure far sooner!

Anonymous

I had the exact same problem as the original post and it continued on and off for almost a year. The eye doc told me to put allergy drops in my eyes. It didn't help. The cure came from the dermatologist....she gave me Rx for Clocortolone Pivalate Cream 1% to put on my eye lids and it worked immediately and scaly puffy eye lids back to normal in a few days (only can use max of 10 days) and stayed perfect until skin got dry again in December. I applied the cream again and got immediate relief,same day.

Anonymous

Every late Winter/Early Spring I go through this for a month or two. this has been going on for the last 4-5 years. Always my right eyelid swells, itches, gets flaky dry skin and my eye shadow doesn't stick where the skin has flaked off. Then under the same eye I get a swollen bump t the same time. By the time I get the time t go to the doctor it's often at the end of it's cycle so no idea what it is.

Anonymous

I too have had the same problems; flaky/dryness under eyes now even starting above the eyes some days, swelling/puffiness, sore, and they look horrible. I use a very good skin care line such as eye creams and face serums; always have. Yet for the past 2-3 months I have been having this problem that it's alomst embarrassing bc I surly don't want to walk out the door looking as if I have to Vasoline Eyes. This post has helped me to see that others have the same problem, yet we have not found a solution either. I thought it was my makeup but still woke up in the morning with issues. Then after using cucumber slices to calm it down by mid day flakes were back. I feel after much research it could be blepharitis. So my next stop is the eye doctor, good luck ladies!

Anonymous

Omg after 8months of this crap and the whole time it was my concealer. It is expired. I never ever had a reaction to Any kind of make up. all my other make up gave no problems. Eyeshadow was fine even though it was old also. The concealer i was using is cover fx, got it at sephora. Now i can have a drink and not worry about this anymore! Hope this helps some one. When my eyes were getting crusty flaky i used this tube from posh called the liberator. It moisterized so good that there was barely any flakes. Hope this helps.the bio oil from target, or Meijers is good. But that tube really helped. I haven't had any more swelling since not wearing that concealer. Im positive it was the culprit.

Anonymous

I've had something similar for the past month or two. It seems like blepharitis fits the symptoms pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis

Anonymous

at first i thought it was from a food. Then i thought from an expired eyeshadow. Now i think it was from an expired coverlet. Concealer. Once my lids heal I'm going to put eyeshadow on one and the concealer on the other. See what happens.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: