Swollen and puffy eyelids in the morning and then get flaky, red and sore during the day...

Hi there...

Was just wondering... the last 6-8 weeks, i've been waking up with swollen puffy eyelids - which i first thought was seasonal allergies, but it hasn't stopped. As the day goes on, my eyelids skin will get flaky like exzema, flakes off or just looks horrible... sometimes they're sore, red in areas, very dry and sometimes itchy...

Has anyone experienced this? I've never had any problems with skin problems ever nor many allergies ever either... once in a while in the spring...

I've tried many different kinds of natural creams with no relief! What could be causing this? I'm stumped... when i first went to my doctor, she just sent me home with allergy pills and drops that have done nothing but cost me lots of money....

I'd appreciate any help... with much appreciation...
sincerely, carol :o)

Anonymous

HEY EVERYONE!! I have exciting news that may help some of you and I have to share! I have been dealing with puffy/swollen eyelids for over 4 months now. I am a 26 yr old female living in CA. My eyes became more sensitive when I was about 22 years old. I tried some new mascara and my eyes had a bad allergic reaction, but when my eyelids went back to normal I found they were a bit more sensitive to certain makeups. My right eye also remains smaller now due to that bad reaction. Fast forward to this past February I had another bad allergic reaction to some makeup, but eventually that cleared as well. Then I had another allergic reaction to a makeup wipe, but after my eyes went back to a somewhat normal state a few weeks later I started waking up with my eyelids swollen every day. At first I thought it was another allergic reaction to something so I stopped wearing makeup and contacts, but it didn't go away. I also tried taking benadryl, but that didn't help either. Then I tried changing from Tide detergent to a natural one, I changed shampoo/conditioner, changed pillows, changed makeup, bought an air purifier I mean you name it I tried it! I was going crazy trying to figure out why my eyelids were always swollen. They would go down a bit throughout the day, but at night the whole process would start all over again. Then I went to an optometrist (I had been to 2 optometrists already) who prescribed a steroid eye drop because he thought it was an allergy, but they eye drop didn't work. Then I went to a dermatologist and he said that I have Seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed me a cortisone cream to use on my eyelids. When I used the cream my eyelids would almost go back to normal, but when I would go to sleep my lids would be swollen again in the morning. I also brought out some old boxes and had a episode where my eyes were itchy and turned red in spots, but eventually the redness went away. I also take a Claritin every day for allergies and I am allergic to gluten and dairy.

Here is the break through part!!!! I just went back to my optometrist today and told him I was still having the eyelid problem and now I had some dandruff like stuff on the root of my eyelashes. I have done my research online which is were I found this site and I was thinking blepharitis. He looked at my eyes when his magnifying instrument and said yeah you do have some crustaceans on your eyelashes I am 90% sure you have Demodex. Then he pulled up a webpage on Demodex infestation which are little mites living in your eyelashes and eyebrows. They live there and irritate your eye causing it to swell and since it is not an allergy a steroid drop wouldn't cure it. They are also more active in the dark so at night time when you sleep they make your eye appear more swollen and itchy in the morning. They also lay eggs (GROSS) in your eyelashes and if they are not treated they will make your eyelashes fall out. This was life changing!! Everything it talked about made sense and I swear I almost started crying. Here is the second best part it CAN be cured!! Basically it can be cured with heat and tea tree oil, BUT it must be a diluted tea tree oil because it is too harsh to put on your eyelids alone. Dilute it 50% with either coconut oil or walnut oil. I will link the web page that explains what to do. There is also a hydrochloric acid foam or wipe you clean your eyes with before putting on the tea tree oil. Also my eye doctor said to wash all of my sheets in hot water and dry them on the hottest setting and to throw out my pillows.

Another thing about Demodex is that these gross mites are very contagious and your partner could have them as well and may not know it. My eye doc said it is VERY common and about 60% of people have this! Some people do not have symptoms so they could have it and spread it to someone else. I just tried the first treatment when I got home because the thought of it grosses me out and I need to kill them all. Already my eyelids look better! I have to do this treatment for 3-4 weeks to make sure all of them are dead and check back in with the eye doc. Also there is a special machine that will put a good amount of heat on your eyelids for 10 minutes and I guess certain eye doctors will have it. Mine said that he will be getting one and that will kill the mites and help as well. So you may want to ask your optometrist about that.

I really hope this helps some of you! This is a major break through and I can't tell you how depressed and crazy I was going when my eyelids were constantly swollen all the time. After hours and hours of searching the internet for an answer I had never heard of Domodex before so I hope this helps you in some way. Please read the link below and feel free to ask any questions! I will update you on what happens after using this treatment for a few weeks!

Good luck to you!

Anonymous

Have you recently started drinking coffee or are you taking in more caffeine/alcohol than normal. I have the same reaction from excess caffeine. The skin around my eyes hurts, it cracks and becomes flakey. I look like I have aged 10 years. Once I cut down on caffeine it clears up in a few days.
I couldn't find much help on the internet, basically self-diagnosed the issue myself.

Anonymous

You may not believe this, but I had the same problem and was so discouraged I came close to a nervous breakdown. I had to go on antidepressants! I went to several doctors, dermatologists, allergists. My family doctor was the one who diagnosed me when I went for depression help. She diagnosed me with dermatitis. I still do not know what the cause of the problem was. YOU MUST TRULY NOT PUT ANYTHING on the affected skin but water and cortisone until it is completely healed. She promised me it would work if I was truly not put on any make-up or lotion. I stopped all make-up and got Maximum Strength Cortizone 10 Ultra Moisturizing. I tried regular cortizone first, but it dried my skin out and was not getting better because of the dryness. Put a pea sized amount in your palm with a few drops of water and mix up. I patted this on the areas. After three days I could see improvement. I started putting on mascara and it started to come back. I stopped make-up again and after two weeks of NOTHING but the Cortizone and water, I was good. I am wearing make-up again, and all is well. If I start to feel the slightest burn I put Cortizone and water on. I also put vaseline on my eyelids and under them now at night. What cost me hundreds of dollars in doctor bills can cost you $4 and some time. The time is the key. You must truly not put any lotions etc. and only wash with water. Do not even get shampoo on your skin. It worked for me after suffering for six months and being so depressed over it I had to take medicine. I hope it works for you. If it does, please let me know.

I had the same red, flakey, puffy, itchy symptoms for about a month. I tried the hydrocortisone cream & it really worked! It stung at first, but after a few days they're almost entirely better! Thanks for the advice!

Im suffering from the same condition off and on over the past year! I have seen a couple dermatologist, eyelid specialist and both just assume it is Blepartis? At the same time I have developed Seborehea Dermatitis on my face around side of nose, chin area and both seem related. I have tried Blepartis wipes a doctor told me to buy on line, specialized eye cleansers, avoid all eye make-up. My eyelids are red, burn, swollen, flaking some days. Is there a relationship with osteoarthritis? I have a history of food allergies and other items.

I think you need to see an allergist. I have the same thing and she is testing. She said usually this is either a metal or fragrance allergy (those chemicals they put in stuff to make them smell good--makeup, creams, soaps. etc.). She's seen this before. She has me doing the cleansing and cream and mosturizer (Cerave which is hypoallergenic) but she said it'll stay until we figure out what is causing it.

Anonymous

I had the same thing for multiple months and my eye doctor seems baffled. My husband took a look at my eyelids and said it looked an awful lot like jock itch. I know, gross! So I've tried just about everything: antibiotics, creams, coconut oil, castor oil, vaseline, eye ointments and nothing worked. I went to my drug store and got some jock itch cream. It's an anti-fungal. It made my eyelids feel so much better! And it kind of makes sense - my eyelids were red, swollen, cracking, and burning - all the symptoms of jock itch. I wouldn't say they are completely better yet - I've only put it on 3 times now, but they look significantly better and feel significantly better! Be careful not to get any in your eye - it does warn you not to put it in your eye!!!
I hope this info helps someone - I know how frustrating it is!!!

You may not believe this, but I had the same problem and was so discouraged I came close to a nervous breakdown. I had to go on antidepressants! I went to several doctors, dermatologists, allergists. I am a teacher and the kids at school were even telling me I looked like I should go on the show The Walking Dead! My family doctor was the one who diagnosed me when I went for depression help. She diagnosed me with dermatitis. I still do not know what the cause of the problem was. YOU MUST TRULY NOT PUT ANYTHING on the affected skin but water and cortisone until it is completely healed. She promised me it would work if I was truly not put on any make-up or lotion. I stopped all make-up and got Maximum Strength Cortizone 10 Ultra Moisturizing. I tried regular cortizone first, but it dried my skin out and was not getting better because of the dryness. Put a pea sized amount in your palm with a few drops of water and mix up. I patted this on the areas. After three days I could see improvement. I started putting on mascara and it started to come back. I stopped make-up again and after two weeks of NOTHING but the Cortizone and water, I was good. I am wearing make-up again, and all is well. If I start to feel the slightest burn I put Cortizone and water on. I also put vaseline on my eyelids and under them now at night. What cost me hundreds of dollars in doctor bills can cost you $4 and some time. The time is the key. You must truly not put any lotions etc. and only wash with water. Do not even get shampoo on your skin. It worked for me after suffering for six months and being so depressed over it I had to take medicine. I hope it works for you. If it does, please let me know.

two months ago I woke up and my eyes were puffy, red, really dry, and would burn. Then they would flake and become less red and eventually repeat the process as well. I've tried about everything and nothing is working. I read your comment and i had a few questions. Where did you buy the cortisone cream? Also, you didn't use any soap at all when washing your hands? and what do you mean by not getting shampoo on your skin? Was that with the exception of your hands and what shampoo did you use?
Thank you!!

Anonymous

This could be Blepharitis, an inflammatory condition. See an ophthalmologist for a diagnosis and proper treatment options.