Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Swollen and puffy eyelids in the morning and then get flaky, red and sore during the day...

By drumweaver

Hi there...

Was just wondering... the last 6-8 weeks, i've been waking up with swollen puffy eyelids - which i first thought was seasonal allergies, but it hasn't stopped. As the day goes on, my eyelids skin will get flaky like exzema, flakes off or just looks horrible... sometimes they're sore, red in areas, very dry and sometimes itchy...

Has anyone experienced this? I've never had any problems with skin problems ever nor many allergies ever either... once in a while in the spring...

I've tried many different kinds of natural creams with no relief! What could be causing this? I'm stumped... when i first went to my doctor, she just sent me home with allergy pills and drops that have done nothing but cost me lots of money....

I'd appreciate any help... with much appreciation...
sincerely, carol :o)

Anonymous

I've had something similar for the past month or two. It seems like blepharitis fits the symptoms pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis

Anonymous

at first i thought it was from a food. Then i thought from an expired eyeshadow. Now i think it was from an expired coverlet. Concealer. Once my lids heal I'm going to put eyeshadow on one and the concealer on the other. See what happens.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your input Anon,

Let us know how that experiment goes. I think a lot of us are wearing expired or dirty makeup - I'm interested to hear your results. 

Anonymous

I have never had problems before, but now I have had two episodes in three months and it is spreading to the other eye. I have tried sudocrem with limited success, neosporin which got into a scratch and my eyelid swelled up so much that I looked like "Sloth" from "The Goonies" I have to take anti histamine every day anyway but the only way it went away was to leave make up off for about two weeks. Anyone else got any hints

Anonymous

Hello There,
This is the 2nd time it's happened to me this year. I thought it was my make up. But after reading all the other comments I'm thinking its allergies. It's awful. It also gives me bags underneath my eyes. I have too been applying Vaseline. It seems like it is the only thing helping.
Let me know if you find out anything else. Ps I'm in California, Diamond Bar.

Anonymous

This happens to me too! For me, it's triggered by allergies or by cold, dry weather in the winter.

I've tried tons of things and basically the only thing that helps me is using a petroleum based jelly (Vaseline or Eucerin's Aquaphor) directly on my eyelids at night and a heavy, neutral moisturizer (Ceraphil or Cerave) in the day. Hope this helps someone!

Anonymous

I've had a similar issue, and it has been up and down for 6 months. I've seen different doctors 5 times and seen a dermatologist twice. They have given me medication that will clear it up temporarily, but as soon as I'm off the meds, it will return. I take Claratin when I have an especially bad flare up, and hydrocortisone ointments helps, but you don't want to use that too often because it can permanently alter the skin. They say it's definitely an allergy, but I'm struggling to find out what I'm allergic to since it doesn't have a pattern to when it flares up. I have noticed that it is definitely more swollen in the mornings if I go to bed with lotion or anything on my face. My upper lip also swells. I'm going to an allergist to see if that will help.

I understand and I have the same problem with my eye lids for many years with no doctor success. I had a severe flare up with my eye lids so scaly, ichy, and flakey, I went to my regular doctor and I was told to quit eating eggs! It worked.. I'm allergic to shellfish and eggs. Everything I eat seems to have one or the other in it, I take Allegra every morning. My eye lids look great, thank you doctor!

Anonymous

My eyelids became red , swollen and itchy 6 months ago and there are tiny lumps in places.
I have been to see the doctor 3 times over that period. I was given paraffin cream, steroid cream and most recently fungal cream. None of these worked and in fact made them worse.
On Monday I was so depressed about my eyes especially as no one seems to know what started this.
Anyway I thought why am I putting things on the lids when the problem, as there are lumps, could be under the skin. So I decided to wash my eyes out with warm water in only ( use and egg cup) two or three times a day and today they are actually starting to look better. I have not worn any make up during this time.
They are getting flaky now which I think is a sign they are healing. I do hope so as they have been driving me crazy!

Anonymous

For the first time in my life, I've got this problem... I'm 29year old female, nothing's changed in my daily routine, make-ups same, toiletries the same, cleaning products are the same, yet a couple of days ago my eyes have became quite itchy.. Itchy to the point that once I start rubbing them I have to force myself to stop as I know I'll make them worse & swollen.. I haven't got excessive patches of dry flaky skin yet, but I know it's on its way as my eyelids seem so dry. Also, I've got
Darker bags under my eyes than usual.. There's no goo or pink eye, it's solely the skin outside of eye.. Like I said, never had this before.. It can't be the cold weather either..
The only thing that is different in my life is a new man, who I started seeing few months back.. Weird thing is, couple weeks ago I noticed how dry/flakey & sore his eyelids were, I'd never noticed before. I mentioned it & he said he's had it for as long as he remembers, it flares up at times & itches like mad. He puts it down to working outside everyday, conbination of cold & wind irritates it.. He works away & only comes home weekends so that's why I've never seen it before...
The last 2-3 weekends I've been staying at his apartment & then coming home for mon-fri.. But I've stayed in his apartment for the odd night here & there over past several months with no issues.. Call me paranoid but does anyone think this could be something contagious?? He only had it 1-2wks ago....

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: