Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Swollen and puffy eyelids in the morning and then get flaky, red and sore during the day...

By drumweaver

Hi there...

Was just wondering... the last 6-8 weeks, i've been waking up with swollen puffy eyelids - which i first thought was seasonal allergies, but it hasn't stopped. As the day goes on, my eyelids skin will get flaky like exzema, flakes off or just looks horrible... sometimes they're sore, red in areas, very dry and sometimes itchy...

Has anyone experienced this? I've never had any problems with skin problems ever nor many allergies ever either... once in a while in the spring...

I've tried many different kinds of natural creams with no relief! What could be causing this? I'm stumped... when i first went to my doctor, she just sent me home with allergy pills and drops that have done nothing but cost me lots of money....

I'd appreciate any help... with much appreciation...
sincerely, carol :o)

Anonymous

I also have been experiencing the inflamed, peeling, itchy eyes , mostly between the end of August to the end of October here in the San Fernando Valley, Ca. I had a typical seasonal allergy starting about twelve years ago, and then three years ago I started having the eye(s) problem too. I am 62, in good shape with a good immune system, so far. My primary Dr. said it was eyelid/contact dermatitus.....but I could not find a photo, or a good description until I found this site. i have changed everything from detergent to my bed to soap, lotion, etc. My best quess is an outside source.....Oaks, other pollen sources. Maybe stress? maybe pesticides, gmos or chem trails?? Who knows, but I have been taking Claritan every night for the past three years. I have had two blood tests, with little to go by. I can only say that I share anyones frustration who has this eye problem. I will check back periodically.

Hi...I have also been experiencing this. It started about three years also. It starts to get red and itch around the eye....skin but not inside my eye. Then it gets worse with the redness and irritation and the days to follow it becomes dry and scaly. This only happens around August through December and the doctor said that its seasonal but I want to know how to prevent it period. I don't know other lotions to try but I currently use Cervae....some days it helps but quickly dries and I would have to constantly apply. -Bye NY Girl

Try Josie Maran Argan Oil, Its expensive, but it seems to work wonders. I use it at bedtime, its amazing, no more dry itchy skin, and its amazing just for your skin in general.

Anonymous

Every time I drink red wine:puffy sore eyes

Anonymous

I have been dealing with red, puffy, itchy eyelids since June. After 6 doctors and a CTscan, now an allergist. They think its enviromental allergies. I'm allergic to ragweed, grasses, dust mites, molds. I've used eye ointment, prescription eye drops, natural eye drops, and still no change. I had a rash on the back of my neck at my hair line and on my forehead at my hair line which a prescription has helped it. I look like I've been on a crack beinge for months. I work so I have to wear make up. I've bought hypo allergenic makeup and a clean free lotion, still no change. I've been on steroids 2 different times and my eyes get so much better but with 2 days of finishing them they are back to red, itchy and swollen. I'm so tired of this! What should I do?

DJE

After 8 months of this condition, I discovered T-Gel shampoo helps. I put a small squirt of it in about 1/4 cup distilled water, stir and then scrub the eyelids lightly with a Q-tip. I would leave it on 20-30 seconds then rinse well with distilled water. It relieved the itchiness and after a couple of days, doing this morning and night, the scaling and flakes stopped also. I told my dermatologist that I thought my problem must be seborrheic blepharitis or fungal, but he didn't agree. I am trying the Protopic ointment again that he prescribed for me a couple of months ago. I seem to be tolerating the Protopic better now but still think the T-Gel has given me the most relief of anything! I posted earlier that I thought I was allergic to my headboard or sheets or pillowtop mattress but I have been sleeping in my bed again with no flare-ups since I started using the T-Gel shampoo. Hopes this helps someone!

Anonymous

UPDATE: Its been about 2 months since I first started dealing with this. 3 Doctors later, I finally got a cream that must have helped. Its called Epicream. I started using it in lieu of all my moisturizers and facecream. I started taking 1 benedryl tablet before bed and a Reactine in the morning. Its been about 2 weeks now since my last reaction. I don't have the itch nearly as bad, I haven't woken up with horrible puffy, swollen, red eyes and I haven't had any hives. I am also finally able to wear eye make up again. In addition to this I did get a referral to a allergist, which I go to see next week. We'll see what she has to say....1 other thing I thought helped A LOT was I took a bath with Epsom Salts and Baking soda, a mixture of half a cup of each. I would hold my breath under water for as long as I could in intervals. This marked the beginning of whatever this was disappearing. Hope these tips help someone else. What a horrible rash/allergy this is!

Anonymous

I get the same thing every time I have a reasonable serving of gluten. Gluten seems to be the cause of my eczema flare ups, which I've had for 20 years. It only took me about 17 years to realize what actually triggers the flare ups. Since the eczema is on my eyes, topical steroids are out and I'm not a fan of the pills since I can't sleep while taking them, and either way steroids just relieve the symptoms not the problem. It took several cleanses to finally realize that the flare ups disappear every time I stopped the gluten. Once or twice a year I do an ayurrveda seasonal detox where I drink warm homemade rice milk and only fresh seasonal fruits and veggies for a week, limited to those suited for my body type, which helped me target what I was having a reaction to. Best of luck.

DJE

I have almost narrowed down the cause of this problem for me. I have had the red, swollen, itchy eyelid problem since February when I woke up with it on my birthday. I had been on prednisone since September for inflammatory arthritis. The week before this started, I had started taking Sulfa meds to replace the prednisone. I thought first it was a reaction to the Sulfa but the Rheumatologist assured me it wasn't. My primary care physician sent me to a Dermatologist and after trying steroid cream and Protopic which didn't work, I had patch tests done. I already knew I was allergic to nickel and cobalt from prior patch tests over 20 years ago, but found out I was also allergic to copper, chromium, and several other fragrance ingredients. My Derm doctor asked me if I have anything new in the house since February or if I started using any new products. After spending the last 3 months in agony and switching all cosmetics, detergents, hair products, etc. I was still having a terrible time with my skin above and below my eyes. The doctors kept blaming my makeup but I went without makeup for 8 days and it got worse every day......UNTIL I slept on the couch instead of my bed. The first morning , my eyes were 50% less swollen. By the 3rd day on the couch, they were back to normal. That was last week and they have stayed normal since....UNTIL last night when my son was sick so he needed the couch so I slept in my bed for a mere 4 hours and guess what? My eyelids are as red, swollen and itchy as the worst case I have ever had. I had gotten a new pillowtop bed with a metal headboard and footboard last October when I was taking 15mg of steroids a day and that masked the allergic reaction until February when I stopped the steroids. Unfortunately I can't just remove the headboard without removing the whole frame but that is the first step. I hope that is it but it could be something in the mattress itself (stain or water repellent?) or the mattress pad or sheets even. Or it could even be the products that my husband uses....although he insists I can not be allergic to him! All I know is there is something about my bed that is the cause of my problem. I hope this is the case for some of you too because I agree that this has totally decreased my quality of life. Before I discovered this, I was getting so desperate that I thought it was the anti-reflective coating on my glasses so I have an Oculoplastics appointment on Sept 11th for that. I read on the internet that AR coating is a vapor of metal oxides and with all of my metal allergies, it was worth checking into. I will update you after that appointment. I hope this helps some of you!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to DJE)

HI DJE

What a relief that you have found the possible cause! Thank you so much for sharing this information with others - it will really help - really! Good luck with your upcoming appointment! 

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: