Is there a safe way to prepare for bathing suit season by removing hair in "bikini area"?

By Anonymous March 22, 2009 - 7:09am

I'm just thinking ahead to bathing suit season, and am wondering if there is a safe way to remove hair, either at home or at a salon? I've heard horror stories about women getting infections and things from professional hair removal.

I've actually had great success with laser hair removal in the bikini area. And I found a place that was pretty affordable, so it didn't cost me a fortune. I had it done back in 2001 and it's never grown back, so when they told me it was permanent, I guess they were right.... It makes it nice for me, because before whenever I shaved in that area, I would end up with red bumps afterwards because my skin is very sensitive. That wasn't too attractive when I wore a high cut swimsuit. So now I don't have to deal with that issue at all. I've thought about lasering my underarm hair as well so I don't have to shave there too, but just haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, I personally think the laser is the way to go.

You are right - 'tis that time of year again!

There are so many options, you have to pick what suits you, based on your circumstances.

Waxing works pretty well (it can be a little painful and a Brazilian wax is more painful than a regular wax) but the issue for many is that the hair must grow back for a couple of weeks in order to be ready for waxing again - so it's perfect for a two week vacation in the sun but not always practical if you plan on spending time every day in a swim suit. Make sure you go to a licensed, well-trained and reputable cosmetologist. You will also need to loofah the area daily, in the shower, to help prevent in-grown hairs - this is a common issue with waxing.

Hair bleaching is another option for fair people or those with only a small area to deal with but again, you need to be careful and do a small patch test first.

You can also use sugar waxes at home - they can be messy and difficult to do yourself and don't always work well. You may need help - find someone you trust and who you don't mind seeing all your bits and pieces!

You can use a depilatory cream that "melts" away the hair and lasts from 4-7 days. These are easy to use and work very well for most women but you need to do a patch-test to make sure you don't have a bad reaction. Bumps can also be a problem. An aftercare cream like Bikini Zone can help.

You can also simply use a razor. Using a shave gel is the worst thing you can do - instead, use a thick, creamy hair conditioner and a very clean razor. This will help prevent those commonly seen red "bumps". There are also special conditioners like one called "Coochie Cream" (yes, it's really called that!) that are quite effective in preventing those bumps. Using a rich moisturizing cream afterwards, like Bikini Zone, will also minimize bumps.

You can try a permanent fix, like laser hair removal. It needs several sessions to work and you may need touchups for life. Make sure you go to a very well-trained and licensed professional and depending on the color of your skin, and hair texture, they will use a particular laser. There should not be a "one laser fits all" approach. This procedures can be very expensive.

I hope this helps!

Beauty Guide