Cancer

Cancer Guide

ask: tired after cancer

By lilyfire

I had thyroid cancer in 2000 and had my thyroid removed, three ops, radiotherapy, RAI. I am on 125 mcg ofT4 and some T3. However, i feel incredibly tired all the time. i am in remission with a tg of 1.9. I thought thyroxine would replace my old thyroid.

lilyfire

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

P.S. Here's an article a friend sent me on coping with cancer fatigue which may also help you:
http://www.oncolink.org/coping/article.cfm?c=5&s=21&ss=28&id=964

Anonymous

PS also check all your vitamin levels, etc. the Bs help when you are depressed. Yoga and stretching will help. get interested in a hobby and that will take your mind off things, ie painting, reading, good films, French ones are wonderful, photography. But I know exactly how you feel and I have several friends who have general thyroid probs and that get tired easily too! Even a famous film director had the same problem and tried accupunture etc and Chinese medicine and he said that helped. fire lily.

Thank you for all your info I try to walk all the time and have been going to a nature path as well. They have checked all my vitamins and I am on es and bs. I am still so tired I can't function and I get terrible head aches. They can't seem to find out what is wrong. HELP

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post.

I'm so sorry you're still feeling so unwell. Would you think about hiring a naturopath as well as working with mainstream medicine? I'm sure there are many in your area and as lily fire mentioned - try acupuncture.

Let us know what you decide to do and we wish you the best,
~Susan

I have gone to a naturepath and he did make me feel a little better but am still exhausted. He says that he thinks the real reason that I am tired is that I have had 18 surgerys since 2001 and the cancer and drugs my body just can't handle anymore. I just want to feel human again. I don't even know what it is like to feel good.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - Of course you feel tired after 18 surgeries and extensive treatments. I'm also a cancer survivor, and like you I"m also tired of feeling exhausted most of the time. It's hard to be patient, but unfortunately it does take more time than we would like to recover from the physical and emotional aspects of having a major illness.

Some of my fellow cancer survivors have had the benefit of working with experts who specialize in helping cancer patients recover - nutritionists, physical therapists, alternative medicine practitioners - and this has helped them a lot. It can also help to measure progress one day at a time, and in small successes, rather than comparing what is possible today to what was possible before becoming ill. Giving compassion to ourselves as we continue the recovery process helps a lot. Good luck to you in going forward. Pat

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Thank you for your input. I just am so tired I can't even function. I just want to get back to a real life. I am just impatient I guess.

It's a bit hard to tell from the comments whether you've had a physical exam or check up recently Given the level of fatigue you're having, and the headaches, it would be a good idea to get a complete physical to rule out any possible underlying medical conditions that could be affecting you and to gain some reassurance about what's going well. You could also seek referrals for additional support at that time, such as to a nutrition counselor. Your insurance may, or may not cover those types of services, but they are well worth it for cancer patients in the recovery process. There are also free online support group and services to assist you, such as Cancer Care - http://www.cancercare.org/ - which I've personally found very helpful. Above all, don't give up. We all want to get back to a "real life" and all wish it was a much faster process, but it is what it is, and trying to work with it will help a lot - as I remind myself constantly. Hang in there!

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Yes I have had a physical my pcp sent me to an endocrinologist and they ran a bunch of blood work and said that they can't seem to find any problems. But she wanted me to wait a year and then she wants to run more tests if nothing changed. My year is up in July. She says If I am still exhausted that she will run more extensive tests. But thank you for all your advise it has helped. Thanks so much.

Anonymous

Well, I had thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed in 2001 since then I have put on loads of weight despite taking thyroxine. I am also very tired most of the time. I have added Slow release T3 to my medication mixture and this helps. I find that if I can go out and exercise and walk alot that is a key thing to improving the general slump feeling. I also try and keep away from alcohol because that knocks me out completely. Make sure your TSH is suppressed to 0.1 because that should stop any tumour kick starting again. And take calcium several hours apart from your thyroid meds. Also watch out for Atrial fillibration which is irregular heart beat because I get that. They don't know what is causing it but one medical person suggested the thyroxine was doing it or it may be genetic, who knows. fire lily.

Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?: