Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

ask: Today in the shower I found a tiny hair growing directly out of the nipple

It wasn't in the centre but it was growing in the actual nipple. I did wonder if it had just landed there and was stuck but when I pulled at it with the tweezers it came out really easy but you could see the root on it so it was growing from the nipple. It didn't hurt at all. Im 17 and am also just about to start my period. Should I be concerned?

While a few hairs surrounding the nipple is normal and not a cause for alarm, hair growing directly on the nipple itself should be evaluated by a physician.

But, since you are 17 years old and about to start your period, this tiny hair is probably nothing to be concerned about. It may be the result of a premenstrual fluctuation in your hormones.

If another one develops, you may want to give your physician a call.

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: