toenail broken ..worry about that :(

By Anonymous February 15, 2013 - 9:55am

Hello my name is Dana ,
please i have a question i fall down before 1 week and my nail broken and then the dr.remove it out how much time it will take to grow out?
and if the nail will grow out fine or it will not be as same as before..(i mean the shape)
can i wear my shoes after the pain remove from my toenail or it will effect the growth of the nail??

waiting your answer because i am worry :'(

Hi Dana

Sorry about your toenail, it's awful to lose one.

Athletes like runners and soccer players often lose their toenails. After very long tennis matches (and not wearing good enough sneakers) I have lost several, including three big toenails completely, in the past 14 months. A few months after one grew back, it came fully off again and it has taken about 5 months now, and still isn't properly formed. Toenails can take as long as 8-12 to fully reform. Sometimes they grow back perfectly, sometimes they don't. The more nails you lose on one toe, the less likely they are to grow back well, I am told.

Make sure you get some sun on your feet and take lots of calcium with Vitamin D - this will help grow your nails faster. Wear comfortable shoes and don't go open toe for several months to prevent further injury or if you do, be very careful.

Thank you soooo much for your fast replay it's my first time for my toenail to take it off so i hope it will not change in shape or texture.
i have one last question if i want to swim is it ok,
or i have to keep it dry in the first months till it grow a little bit ?
Best Rgards,

Swimming should be fine; I have always swim with toes that have no nails but I usually cover mine in a band-aid as the exposed nail bed gets really "spongy" and soft in the water and looks really tender. I also don't want to see it, I'm a bit squeamish! You should check with your doctor though, as foot infections can be common in swimming pools or other places with water and you do want to avoid exposing an already exposed toe to more elements that can cause harm.