Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

I have this dark blue/purple lesion on my lip that keeps getting bigger. I went to see the dermatologist and she said that it's a venous lake. She said it was nothing I had to worry about. Does anyone else have one or know of someone who does? If so, what was your/their treatment?

LaurieG

When I lived in Las Vegas, my dermatologist used a laser to treat it. The first treatment wasn't quite deep enough so I went back a second time. That time did the trick. Only took several days to heal and was left with a smooth faint whitish-gray spot. Five years later and now living in Michigan, i do need to get it treated again. Laser is the way to treat this!

Anonymous

A plastic surgeon looked at my venous lake about 15 years ago and he treated it with a surfactant injection. He wasn't sure it would work and therefore only charged me for a office visit.
It swelled up presumably because of the liquid injection but after a week it was about 90% gone. It looked much worse for that week but I have been satisfied. It has come back and trying to decide what to do. I still have not seen any treatments concerning surfactants. Have any of you?

Just wondered if you knew what kind of laser worked since there seems to be positive results and negative results?

Anonymous

I had posted a note on here earlier but for some reason could not follow up with it. I had the laser treatment on January 10th and for a couple of weeks the venous lake was a little red and crusty, but already looked better. By February 10th it was gone, just a small bump left which is not noticeable at all. I feel so much better about myself, I don't think that everyone is looking at my lip when they talk to me. I wished I had found this new dermatologist years ago as my previous dermatologist either did not have the correct laser for the job or was out to make money because I had several laser treatments and they did nothing. I am thrilled with the results from this latest laser procedure.

Anonymous

I had a laser procedure on my venous lake on January 10th and by February 10th it was gone - nothing left but a small bump under the skin. I am thrilled with the results as I had tried to have it removed several years ago - several laser treatments and a lot of money and it did not go away. I finally found a dermatologist who had the correct laser and two small zaps did the job. I feel so much better, more confident, now I do not think that everyone is looking at my lip.

what kind of a laser was it? did it have a name?

Anonymous

Its been two months now and i see the results finally!
The venius lake has decreased by 80%! I almostcant see it!!!

Great to hear the positive results. Posters on this board seem very satisfied with the laser removal of a venous lake. I opted for surgery removal by a plastic surgeon and regretted it immediately. It's been 6 months since surgery and I'm just now seeing final results. I highly recommend laser removal versus plastic surgery.
JB

Anonymous

I had an appointment with my dermatologist on Friday, January 10th. She injected beneath my lip to numb it and then did two laser bursts. No pain, just a little pin prick feeling. My lower lip was a bit pal and swollen, but no pain. I have been keeping my lip moist with Aquaphor ointment and it is reduced in size, but not gone as yet. I look each day to see an improvement and am not sure if this procedure has done the trick as yet. I am very hopeful as I am very self conscious about the venous lake which I have had for several years.

I did just post a comment (two actually as I did not think the first one took). As I noted, I am just thrilled with the results.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: