Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Venous lake on my lip

By Island Girl

I have this dark blue/purple lesion on my lip that keeps getting bigger. I went to see the dermatologist and she said that it's a venous lake. She said it was nothing I had to worry about. Does anyone else have one or know of someone who does? If so, what was your/their treatment?

Anonymous

Mine just got disappeared! The treatment is working! So happy!

Anonymous

Hello! I'm posting because this site was very helpful while I was researching what to do about a venous lake on my lower lip. It about the size of a pencil eraser, and had gotten bigger and darker over the 6 months. It was definitely noticeable, and a friend even mentioned it to me.

I live outside of Portland, Oregon, and after doing some Yelp research, I ended up going to Living Well Institute for Skin & Laser in Beaverton. They have a Cultera laser, an XLV, I believe.

Anyway, I got two zaps of the laser, which was a bit uncomfortable but very quick. The treatment cost $250.

The first week after the treatment, the area got larger and much darker -- but that was just the healing process. Now three weeks later, the venous lake is MUCH lighter and WAY less obvious. Gosh, I'm so thrilled!

There is still a smallish bump and a bit of blue/purple left, but it's not bad. On my next appointment on Saturday, I will discuss with the laser lady if I should do a second treatment.

Anyway, it was well worth the $250. I'm grateful I tried the laser route first rather than going straight for surgery.

Hope this recommendation helps someone else.

Thank you, this is really helpful! I will try to find a place that has that type of laser.
Susannah

Anonymous

Hello all,
I had experienced same problem with a venous lake on my lip and after wenting to doctor and confirming the diagnosis I decided to find a way to solve softener this, without having any laser or other surgical removal. The situation had become more and more annoying and I was so scared because my vlake had become bigger and swalowed so bad that I had to press all the time with my finger or with ice to get down but lately with no result neither. I decided that I cannot continue, I was literally crying because of the situation. The lipstick couldn't cover anymore the lezion and it hurt me bad sometimes. And one day I decided to use one of my daily natural care substance cause I am ussually using lots of natural care treatment for the skin. This one I'm telling you is castor oil. I am using it daily for any problem or just day care, so I decided to use it also for my lip problem cause I knew that is very useful on many-many problems. So by gently massaging daily (on the evening few minutes but at least 5, before going to sleep, and in the morning, instead of my lip balm or lipstick) I managed to reduce it very much and now just sometimes it barely can be seen, only if you know that I had something there on my lip, and sometimes nothing on my lip at all! And I am not experiencing anymore any pain or discomfort becouse is not swalling anymore. I will definetely continue with this care treatment as it improved also my colouring of my lip, the lips are not dried anymore and castor oil is way better looking then a lip balm and is clearly cheaper! I recommend it to you for try, maybe it will have at least the same beneficial like for me. I wish you health and please excuse my poor english.
Gabi

Anonymous

I have one that has driven me crazy for at least 10 years. I wear lip stain to keep it covered all day long. I am finally ready to explore options to get rid of it.

Anonymous

I had a VL Removed 10 years ago on my bottom lip. Six months afterwards, another one appeared right under the one I had removed. I've had this one for several years now, it's becoming bigger and uglier! I met with my Dermatologist yesterday, I'm scheduled to have it taken off
in two weeks. What causes these things to appear in the first place?

zoobok

Find a dentist that has a diode laser. This treatment is very simple with the right equipment and it doesn't hurt. No needles required , just a strong topical anesthetic. 15 minutes of total time will probably take care of the average lake. Too many plastic surgeons and dermatologists don't have diode lasers because they like the more powerful ones. Trust a dentist!

Debra Moncrieff (reply to zoobok)

15 minutes?? they zapped mine and it was all over and done with in less than a minute. I'm pleased to say it's gone! wasn't very painful at all.

magicdancer

I am adding my comment to the discussion with the idea it might help others who have a problem with venous lakes. I have 3 of them, 2 on my lower lip and 1 on the upper lip. They have been present for years, and are nearly impossible to cover w/lipstick. My dentist commented that he had seen patients w/one in his practice but never anyone w/3 lakes. They have slowly started to change over the years--becoming more prominent and larger as time went on. I became very self-conscious about the number and size, so 2 yrs ago I met w/ a plastic surgeon who did 2 laser treatments, neither of which had any effect at all on the VLakes. I did not ask him about the type of laser he used. After searching the WEB over a period of time I found out there are lasers that are preferred for VL---and others that do a very poor job at reducing or eliminating the VL. This past Friday I had the 1st of 2 treatments w/ YAG Varilite laser at my dermatologist office and the result was dramatically different from my other treatment. One VL was gone the next day, and the other 2 are crusting and shrinking. The dermatologist suggested 2 laser treatments followed by surgical removal if I was not happy w/the result. He said to expect 20% shrinkage w/the 1st treatment, and the same w/the second.
After all this time I believe that it is the patient who must find a physician practice with the correct laser---I understand from my doctor that lasers are changing all the time, and it is too expensive to purchase new ones ----so physician offices continue to use older technology due to cost. I also feel that since VLakes are just a cosmetic problem, some physicians are complacent about them.
I hope my experience will help others.

Anonymous (reply to magicdancer)

Thank you, this really helps!

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: