Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Venous lake on my lip

By Island Girl

I have this dark blue/purple lesion on my lip that keeps getting bigger. I went to see the dermatologist and she said that it's a venous lake. She said it was nothing I had to worry about. Does anyone else have one or know of someone who does? If so, what was your/their treatment?

TomONeill

I've had a venous lake for years on my lower lip. I was surprised to see that it's a thing that appears mainly on people aged 50, because I'm 22. It was a small spot, which seemed to swell up a little when it was hot outside or when I was eating something warm or spicey.
Others didn't seem to notice it for all this time until last week. Maybe it had coloured more dark or had grown bigger, though I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary apart from the venous lake how it had been on my lip for all those years.

I asked my dentist about it and he said I shouldn't worry too much and that it was probably just a blood vessel. It just bothered me so much that I went to see a doctor.
The doctor said that it was benign and that it was a blood vessel. so I had nothing to worry about. I asked her if it could be removed, but she said it would get bloody and that I should better leave it like that. She told me she almost didn't see it from where she sat (behind her desk)...

Then, weeks later (last week) I went back to see another doctor and she told me that it probably wasn't a blood vessel because when she pressured it, it wouldn't change colour. She asked me if I bit myself but I can't remember that from happening. She said that I could go and see a dermatologist and so I did this morning. I had seen this site and I wanted a laser therapy because of the positive responses, but I noticed yesterday that the place I went to didn't do laser therapy. The appointment was already made so I thought I'd just go and see what happened (I have to pay for everything because my insurance won't cover it).

The dermatologist had a quick look with two kinds of medical instruments and then told me that it was indeed a blood vessel (aka venous lake, but he didn't say that). It all got really quick and he offered me to burn it away. Since I have to pay for the consult anyway, I figured it would be cheaper than going to another dermatologist for laser therapy, so I said yes.

He drew a few dots around the venous lake and then he anesthetized my lip which hurt quite a lot. He then got some kind of tool which I didn't get a clear look on and pressured it a few times on my lip. I smelled my own flesh burning which smelled awful, but I didn't feel it. It looked like he was done but then he pressured the tool two other times and then he was done. I think he pressured the tool like five or six times tops.

It left a huge black crust on the place the venous lake was.
Now, about seven hours later, the crust seem to have shrunked a tiny bit. I hope the venous lake and the crust are gone within a few days.

Anonymous (reply to TomONeill)

Tom;
Give it some time to heal. Keep us posted on the progress.
JB

Anonymous

I have two dark spots on my lower lip. One is flush with my lips but one forms a bump on it randomly and then goes away again within a couple hours. It's been doing that for a few weeks now. Don't know what is causing it to do this. Anyone???

Sounds like the beginning of a venous lake or blood vessel contusion.
JB

Kelly555

Has it always been there? Does it grow and shrink with your cycle? I have had a bluish/purplish vein cluster on my bottom lip for most of my life. Just recently, I was told its a venous malformation. I just started treatment this week.

Anonymous

I have had a venous lake on my bottom lip for about 3 year, im 26 years old so it was making me have confidence problems , At first i could cover it with lipstick but then it got larger and darker so i put some hemorrhoid cream on seen as that shrinks things and after putting it on about 6 times morning and night my venous lake has gone, just vanished no colour or lump i cant believe it :) so happy

Debra Moncrieff (reply to Anonymous)

Wow, so pleased to hear. Well I'm definitely going to have a go at using that too. Worth a try ;)

How long did you have to put on the hemorrhoid cream? Did it taste horrible? What brand?
Thanks,
Dana

Debra Moncrieff (reply to Anonymous)

I tried the cream, no luck. So now I'm seeing a specialist at the end of the month who uses lasers, will let you know how it goes...

LaurieG

When I lived in Las Vegas, my dermatologist used a laser to treat it. The first treatment wasn't quite deep enough so I went back a second time. That time did the trick. Only took several days to heal and was left with a smooth faint whitish-gray spot. Five years later and now living in Michigan, i do need to get it treated again. Laser is the way to treat this!

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: