Venous lake on my lip

By Island Girl December 23, 2008 - 8:20am

I have this dark blue/purple lesion on my lip that keeps getting bigger. I went to see the dermatologist and she said that it's a venous lake. She said it was nothing I had to worry about. Does anyone else have one or know of someone who does? If so, what was your/their treatment?

Anonymous

I've had a slowly growing venous lake on my bottom left lip for 4-5 years now. I can't take people looking at me and staring at my lip anymore. I've visited a dermatologist and dentist --they made it seem as if nothing really could be done. I purchased castor oil two days ago and I've rubbed on my VL. I haven't noticed any changes yet and hope this works. If anybody has any suggestions ... I'd greatly appreciate it

Hey. I've also got a venous lake on my lip since I was born! I have been massaging castor oil day and night for 4 days now and have seen no difference.. Have you got any suggestions?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Venous lakes are non proliferative vascular lesions that are not treatable via medical means.

Treatment usually is performed for cosmetic reasons or to alleviate recurrent bleeding.

Surgical treatment by cryosurgery, electrosurgery, sclerotherapy, and excision have all been reported to be successful forms of therapy.

Regards,

Debra Moncrieff (reply to Anonymous)

Go back through the comments and read mine, laser is a great method!!

You have to gently massage for about twice a day, 5 minutes each and you will experience improvements even if your VL is 4-5 years old now. For me, noticeable results appeared after about 2 weeks and continuously got better and better, up to dissapperance and lip look normal. It's now more than 1 year and no sign of VL. I encourage you to do this treatment. What you need is patients and perseverence. All the best wishes!
Gabi

Hi Gabi,
I've the same problem, 2 large purplish spots on my lips. Seem to be getting bigger. I have taken your advice and have been doing it for about a week now so hoping to see some improvement soon. Will post again if I get lucky and if it helps other people then thank goodness for the Internet as when I mentioned it to my doctor she just brushed it off.

I hope to hear good news from you soon. I personally am really thankful that I found this simple method that worked for me with no sign of regress of VL, after 1, 5 years now. I wish you the same rate of success! Don't feel discouraged about your doctor reaction, you don't lose anything if keep trying with perseverance.
All my best wishes!

Hi Gabi

Well it's starting to work. has taken 2 weeks before I noticed any difference but can see a definite change now. I think it may take another month or so as they were quite large and had been there for several years but at least I feel positive now so for anyone who's trying the castor oil, don't give up, it can take time but does work

Indeed, if the VL is old for years, it may take a while to notice improvements with castor oil massage, but like you say, there is a hope even for these cases, and clearly you would obtain improvements. Don't give up and have patience, treat your body with care and love and it will reward you with better health.

All my best wishes,
Gabi

Just an update, I have been using the castor oil now for 3 weeks and am just beginning to notice an improvement. I have 2 spots, 1 quite big and the other slightly smaller. It took about 2 weeks and although nothing changed I religiously carried on, particularly at night. This last week I have noticed a definite difference but can see it might take some time. The castor oil only cost £4 so am so pleased that I gave it a try. To anyone who is trying this,mi would say don't give up, it won't miraculously go overnight but definitely you will start to see an improvement. My hope is that maybe in another month they will have completely disapeared. Am so grateful for the tip.