What are warning signs of breast cancer?

By Anonymous February 9, 2015 - 1:19pm

I have a few family members that have had breat cancer. I am 20 years old and was wondering what are warning signs and at what age should I get checked? 

About 90% of women who get breast cancer have no family history so don't let your family history worry you too much. But you still need to be aware - based on your family history.  The closer the relative, the higher the risk. 

A self breast exam is good to do every month - read how to do this here: 

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/breast-self-exam-bse

If you ever feel a lump, you need to have it checked out. The good news is that most lumps are totally harmless but all lumps need to be seen.  The same goes for dimpling of the skin or nipple changes. A lump could be considered your "warning sign" although you should not experience pain.  

Annual mammograms at 40 and beyond are encouraged. You should also have a yearly exam by a heath care professional. 

Eat healthfully, exercise, limit stress and alcohol and don't smoke - or quit if you do.

I hope this helps!