What can I do to lose weight?

I have Hashimoto's with a huge goiter, which I plan to have removed shortly. I've gained 30 lbs in 9 months. Last week I went on a "vegatable Only" diet, no butter, and gained 1 lb. Energy level is zero but try to exercise and drink lots of water, no sugar. Help?

Hi katstoy,

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

I'm so sorry you are dealing with Hashimoto's and the ensuing weight gain and best of luck with your goiter surgery.

If you are dieting this way (all veggies, no sugar) and are still gaining weight, it's may not be fat you are gaining. It sounds like it may be a retention of fluids. And I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be on a low cal diet and gain weight; it's very unfair.

I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about a condition called Idiopathic Edema. This is where the body retains fluids and swells up and some people with Hashimoto's also have this edema. When you talk about weight gain in the past few months, do you think it's more swelling than fat gain?

Is all the weight gain on your belly? If so, check out this discussion board of Hashimoto's sufferers with the same issues: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/Hashimotos-and-belly-fat/show/1124910

Empowher has some tips to help with swelling from edema:

Many of the treatments used for these conditions fall into one of two categories: bioflavonoids and diuretics.

Bioflavonoids have shown promise for conditions in which edema is caused by leaky blood vessels, including the first three items in the above list. The following relevant bioflavonoids or bioflavonoid sources have full articles in this database:

■Citrus Bioflavonoids
■OPCs (Oligomeric Proanthocyanidin Complexes)

Many herbs are thought to have a diuretic effect, causing the body to increase its water excretion. This could reduce edema in the remaining items on the above list. Herbs with apparent diuretic effects include:

■Dandelion leaf

You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/edema

Please also check out our Hashimoto's page here: http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2010/04/18/hashimotos-disease

Please let me know the kind of weight gain you think you have. Is it in the belly? Is it more swelling and retention, do you think, or is it more a gaining of fat?

Also, please let us know what meds you are on (Synthroid etc) as this can also be a factor.

I hope this helps you somewhat and I also hope to hear more from you soon!

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your reply. I checked out the links and now feel almost hopeless to lose weight. It looks like the only "maybe" there is, is to increase the dosage of thyroid meds. BUT I'm already at 1.25
No it's not water retention. In fact, I was at the hospital last week with a migraine headache. They said I was dangerously dehydrated and pumped me full of IV fluids. That's the only reason I'm drinking water now..Yuck
One more question? Will it be any harder to lose weight After the thyroidectomy?
Thanks again,
I'm taking Levoxyl 1.25 and Vitamin D

HERWriter Guide (reply to katstoy)

I know, Katstoy, I can imagine how disappointing it must be not to have some certainty here. I know it's all "maybes" and "if, ands and buts" but this is the frustrating nature of this condition.

I'm not much of a light at the end of tunnel, am I?

After your surgery, you will need to follow a pretty strict nutritional regime to get your weight down -and make sure you are rested and recovered first, don't rush into things. Your first priority will be to get well.

Keep up with the good carbs - complex carbs - like whole grains and brown foods (rather than the white breads, pastas and rice, etc). Take exercise and make sure that both your hormone levels are checked regularly and that your medications for hormone regulation are re-evalued as needed.

I am confident in telling you that you have a great chance of getting a grip on this. It's just going to need time and careful monitoring. Please don't get discouraged (I know that's easier for me to say than for you to do) but know that we are always here for support and that you have a great chance of getting some of this weight off.

Best of luck with your surgery and again, I wish I could send you on a sure fire path to weight loss but unfortunately, your condition does not work this way. Weight gain is often the bain of people who are dealing with Hashimoto's.

I will be looking out for your update on surgery but hope to hear from you before that. Will you stay in touch?

You are my light at the end of the tunnel! You have lifted my spirits. I feel Much better, thank you! Before, I was thinking "The Light" was probably a freight train... ;) lol
Bless you,

Celiac Disease

Celiac Disease Guide