What to get an expecting mother for her birthday?

By Anonymous February 25, 2009 - 9:27am

My wife's birthday is this friday, and I'm at a loss as to what to get for her. We are currently in the first trimester of her first pregnancy and knowing what a special time this is for her, I would like to get her something special as a gift. Does anyone have any good gift ideas? Thank you.

I "second" the pre-natal massage gift certificates....it comes in VERY handy during the second and last trimesters. Plus, a pedicure is nice when you can no longer reach your own toes and feel extra large!

I was pregnant the same time as my friend, and our husbands went in together to buy us a spa package, so we could go with each other and make a day out of it. It was really nice!

If you like the jewelry route, I got a ring and necklace with my son's birthstone. It is not an actual "mom ring" (some of them look silly, in my opinion). It is modest; bought at a local jewelery retail store, and I just told them I wanted a ring with a citrine (sp?) gemstone and platinum (did not say it was a "birthstone"). Since you won't know the baby's birthstone yet, you could get her a gift certificate or a ring with the promise of adding the gemstone once baby is born.

Let us know what you decide! How fun!

Get her something nice for herself & this book: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/my-best-pregnancy-resource-girlfriends-guide-pregnancy

Thanks for your question - you sound like a great dad-to-be.

Does your wife like a bit of pampering? There are very good pre-natal massages available, done by professionals who are specially trained in this area. Back pain is common in pregnancy and she might just love a prenatal massage (or even a few, she could have one per month) especially when she gets bigger and more uncomfortable.

You could also take her on a "babymoon" (as opposed to a honeymoon). It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive but it will be the last trip you'll ever take without a baby (or a baby to come home to) for a very long time. It could be to a B&B near you (bring some non-alcoholic wine, the ones made with pear juice are the best!) or a couple of days by a beach or even a staycation! Stay home, take the weekend off from family and friends and enjoy a candlelit dinner (cooked, or ordered in by you!) and stay home.

She might also like a facial (at a beauty salon or spa), a gift certificate to a maternity clothing store that has fresh, stylish options or even an afternoon at the hair salon where she can have a wash and blow dry and a nice cup of tea.

One thing I advise against - as well-meaning as I know guys are: don't get her a gym membership or something in a size 6 for after pregnancy! Make the gift all about the here and now - the next 6 months - not anything about getting in shape afterward. Even if she'd love it now, she may resent it when she's 9 months along and feeling a bit puffy!

Good luck and congratulations on your new baby - come back and tell us what you got her!

Hi Anon and welcome to the EmpowHer site.

It is so thoughtful and considerate you want to get your wife something special.

As previously mentioned jewelery is always good, but if you want to get something geared to the baby, Tiffany's and many other places make wonderful silver rattles and such. You can even get them engraved.

Hope this helps.

You are very thoughtful! Why not a beautiful necklace or bracelet or even a pair of pearl earrings?? Is her style classic or artsy?
I think that jewelry is always a good idea as she can wear it no matter how big she gets and it will always be a reminder of this special time.