Cancer

Cancer Guide

ask: when I had chemo I lost my hair. Why hasn't Amy Michelson lost her hair?

Anonymous

Susan, I was asking about Amy, wife of golfer Phil. As my husband and I were watching the Masters he commented as to why she had not lost her hair. I was just curious since I also saw her on TV at the Masters and she looked great. I have been in recovery for 6 yrs and I know a lot has changed. In fact I never heard of a "cold cap." I started wearing a wig which I was told looked nice, but I couldn't stand it by the end of the day and I ended up wearing a baseball cap with a pink ribbon logo. One positive thing is I never had a bad hair day. Thanks for the insight and I second your Yay for Phil winning the Masters. Denise

Thank you for your question and welcome! I hope you are in full recovery from your chemo treatments and cancer.

Do you mean Amy Michelson the celebrity bridal designer or Amy Mickelson, the wife of golfer Phil?

I assume you mean the latter, as I don't know if the designer has cancer and Amy has been seen at the Masters (and yay for Phil taking the title!) .

Amy Michelson may or may not have lost her hair. To my knowdlege it has not been discussed publicly and she has not been at a golf tournament in the last year due to having treatments.

Her hair looked really good at the Masters but she may have been wearing a great wig made of real hair - many women undergoing cancer treatments do this (that can afford it - it's pretty expensive).

She also may have had a cold cap on. This is a method used to prevent hair loss during cancer treatments. Depending on the location of the cancer and medical guidelines, some women can use this kind of cap and it can protect pretty well against hair loss.

I'm am not sure of her treatments. If she is undergoing surgery and radiation rather than chemo or a combination, then hair loss can also be avoided.

If she has had chemo, I'm going to guess she invested in a really good wig made of human hair.

Does this information help you?

Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?: