Why do I Crave ice?

I love eating cup after cup of crushed ice--even when it is cold outside. Someone mentioned it was a vitamin difficiency?

Thanks for your post.

Craving ice is not that uncommon, believe it or not! I craved ice all the time when I was pregnant with my 3rd child (and forgot all about that until I read your question!). It was likely that my iron count was low.

Cravings can certainly come from a nutritional deficiency or pregnancy.

Generally (pregnant or not), craving ice is seen as a possible sign of anemia - low iron count. Increasing your iron intake or taking a supplement can help. Here is an article on foods rich in iron: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/good-food-sources-iron

If you increase your iron take and are still craving ice in a few weeks, you may want to see your doctor for a blood test to make sure your iron count in healthy.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide