why I mine having drop of water on my nipples?

By September 4, 2013 - 8:14am

Whenever I squeezed my breast I notice some water coming out from the two nipples it has been happening for the past two weeks. I want to know the cause and the kind of treatment I could use to stop the drops of water. Am not feeling any pain just the water only . Thanks

Hi jumigab

Breast discharge that is not related to pregnancy, breastfeeding or some kind of infection or known condition is called Galactorrhea.

Galactorrhea has many causes, though sometimes the cause is unknown. Tumors of the pituitary gland, called pituitary adenomas or prolactinomas, can cause galactorrhea. The pituitary is a small gland attached to the brain. Pituitary tumors are usually not cancerous. They can cause galactorrhea when they produce excess prolactin, a hormone that stimulates milk production.

Other causes of galactorrhea include:

• Hormonal imbalance, such as hypothyroidism
  • Some medicines, such as:
    • Stopping or starting to take birth control pills or other hormones
    • Blood pressure drugs
    • Tricyclic antidepressants
    • Tranquilizers (antipsychotics)
    • Antinausea drugs
    • Some antigastroesophageal reflux medicines
    • Some pain killers
  • Certain herbs, including:
  • Illicit drugs, such as:
    • Marijuana
    • Opiates
  • Sexual stimulation of the breast
  • Certain diseases, including:
  • Chronic emotional stress
  • Hypothalamic tumors or disease (eg, tuberculosis )
  • Chest wall conditions, such as:
    • Shingles
    • Trauma
    • Burns
    • Surgical scars
    • Tumors of chest wall

Read more here including treatment options:  http://www.empowher.com/condition/breast-discharge

While there can be some serious reasons for breast discharge, many more are not serious at all and can go away on it's own. But you will need to see a doctor to find out what is causing it.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Thanks susan for the reply, I went to see a doctor yesterday and he checked my breast, he said if the water is clear it not showing any colour or milk that it normal, that I don't need to worry but if it is coloured or milky then I need to worry. That some changes in the body may cause the water dripping out from your nipple so I want to ask you if it is normal that way or is there a way I can stop the water (unless I press before the water drip just a drop) let me know if it has remedy thanks.

HERWriter Guide (reply to jumigab)

Hi again!

I don't know of something that will stop it other than giving it more time to see if it tapers off.

Are you on the Pill? This can sometimes cause nipples to leak.

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide