will medicare cover prolia?. I am 67years old. Thanks, Jean Fecht

By Anonymous February 8, 2012 - 1:01pm

I was told by the Prolia sales rep, who was contacted by my doctor, that YES, Prolia would be covered by my health insurance because I met the criteria. But have since received a $1500 bill for Prolia from my doctor because guess what, my insurance did NOT cover the Prolia. I'm not sure who has given me the false information but I'm suspecting it's the drug company. My doctor went to the trouble of finding out first if my insurance would cover the injection; and now that I've had it, surprise.....I owe $1500. I can tell you.....I won't be getting another injection - not at $1500 to $2000 a shot.
A Very Dissatisfied Consumer

Hi Jean!

To the best of my knowledge it IS covered by Medicare but it may depend what plan you have.

Please call the number on your card to make sure you have a plan that'll cover it. If not, see if there is a generic or equivalent that your Medicare will cover.

Thank you for writing!

Osteoporosis Guide