Pregnancy Guide

ask: Will starting my birth control a week late increase my chance of pregnancy?

I am going on a trip to Florida to visit my boyfriend and I am starting my new pack of birth control pills a week later ( a week after my sugar pills have ended) so that my period comes a week later than it would have if I started my new pack on time. Will this work? And will it increase my chance of getting pregnant or will being on this birth control for two years on a regular schedule be enough to prevent it for the most part.

By starting your new pack of birth control pills a week later than normal will delay the start of your period by one week.

Taking your birth control pill at the same time every day is important. This provides a steady dose of medication to your body, increasing its effectiveness and reducing the risk of breakthrough bleeding.

However, missing one week of active pills increases the risk of pregnancy and often causes spotting or breakthrough bleeding.

If you do not start your new pill cycle on the day you are scheduled to do so you must use backup birth control until you have been back on active birth control pills for seven days.

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :