There is nothing I hate more than daylight savings around March because it indicates an hour less of sleep in addition to the hours I already lack. Many of us have a love-hate relationship with sleep. The day is just not long enough for us night owls. Similar to electronics, our batteries (energies) run low and we need to be recharged but caffeine comes with a price…it is also eating up our wallets! Here are simple solutions to end sleep deprivation without sponsoring your local cafes:
1. Acknowledge your lack of sleep. The hardest part of changing a bad habit is admitting it’s a bad habit. “I lack sleep, I lack sleep, I lack sleep” is what you need to say to yourself every morning. Knowing your weakness is the first step to success and independence from eye concealer.
2. Read a bedtime story. Grab a random book and read a chapter or two. A good story is a quick escape from reality. The last thing you want to think about before bedtime is all your worries and concerns. Movies and video games are great escapes as well except it get you too excited for sleep and probably cause you to stay up later than your usual bedtime.
3. Wash your sheets. We should all be washing our sheets every two weeks…but we don’t. Washing your sheets not only prevent dust mites but also makes you want to run across a field of lavenders in Provence…or simply lay down on your bed filled with the smell of lavender fabric softeners.
4. Plan tomorrow’s breakfast. Your alarm clock may not be the best method to wake you up. How about bacon? The thought of sausage and pancakes helped me get up for my 8:20 morning classes in college and I am still using the same method to get up for work.
5. Dress to impress. When you dress like a lady, you’ll act like one. This includes not struggling with your eyelids on your way to work on the 6 train. Rumor has it. People like to take pictures of other people sleeping on the subway and worst, post it on Tumblr. The only way not to get caught is to not fall asleep! Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
6. Buy expensive pajamas. Good quality pajamas encourage longer bedtime. You wish you can wear these pajamas everywhere you go because it’s 100% cotton, soft, and pink! How can you resist sleep?
7. Invent your own Zumba moves. Exercising helps you sleep and release stress. If you are having difficulties keeping up with the instructions on your Zumba DVDs, be a rule breaker and create your own moves! After a thigh burning workout, you are too tired to go out for a midnight snack.
8. Hide your password. Add a super strength password to your laptop and hide your password. When you can’t resist to check Facebook in the middle of the night, you’ll be reminded how pathetic you are by crawling out of bed, turning on your laptop, flipping through books to find your password, and then crying yourself to sleep because you told your mom to hold on to it. Hey, at least you get your eight hours of sleep. Besides, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is not commenting on your photos. Just sleep.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.