Thanksgiving is a time of family gatherings, good food, and being thankful for all we have. Your dental health is something that should not be taken for granted. Your teeth do amazing things that most of us do not even think about. Below you will find a few to be thankful for this holiday season.
5 Reasons To Be Thankful For Good Dental Health
1. Chewing Tasty Thanksgiving Foods. Healthy teeth are necessary for chewing hard, crunchy foods. Soft foods tend to be high carb and not as healthy. Imagine trying to eat your turkey dinner with all the trimmings without your teeth. It certainly would be quite a challenge! Our teeth give us the ability to tear and and break down all kinds of food, from celery sticks and crusty bread to turkey and all the trimmings.
2. Convey Friendliness and Warmth. Our smiles convey to others how we feel towards them. A warm smile and hug to an old friend or relative at holiday warms even the coldest of hearts. Smiles tend to be contagious they just make you and others feel happy! Without a healthy smile, we would not smile nearly as often as many of us do.
3. Communication. Proper speech is directly related to tongue and tooth position. Without our teeth we would have a hard time communicating correctly. Just saying “Thanksgiving” would be very difficult without your upper teeth. Speaking without teeth is extremely challenging.
4. Attractiveness. Your teeth give your face a fullness and symmetry that you lose when they are missing. When a person is missing teeth, facial support is gone, causing a sunken in appearance. Your teeth are important as support for your lips and cheeks and give your face a full, rounded, youthful, look.
5. Maintain Bones And Keep Them Strong. The bones of the face are strong because they work to support our teeth. Once the teeth are gone, the bone is resorbed and re-utilized by other parts of the body. The jaw will atrophy and shrink. As the bone atrophy’s, there is a greater risk of jaw fracture.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Thanksgiving season. We all have a lot to be thankful for so do not leave out your dental health. As always visit your dentist for regular dental examinations and professional cleanings.
© 2013, Marielaina Perrone DDS. All rights reserved. Henderson Emergency Dentist
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.