The side effects that happen during menopause really stink. Not all women will suffer all the side effects and 20% will have no side effects. I really do not believe that statistic and think the 20% lied and it is closer to 10%, but that is neither here or there!
The top 10 most common side effects of menopause:
Night Sweats Hot Flashes
Thinning Hair Menopausal pooch (Tummy Fat)
Mood Swings Dry eyes, skin and hooha
Insomnia Head Aches
Forgetfulness, foggy thinking, memory loss (why I think the 20% lied, they cannot remember)
5 Physical Points to Consider:
1. Of course the really big physical change is the menstrual cycle. First it may happen every 3 weeks or every 6 weeks and a really heavy/minimal flow. Menopausal means 1 year with-out a period. Some women will go 12-14 months with-out a period and then get one for a few months and then it is on hiatus again. There is a blood test that shows if you are in menopause but sometimes the test is positive and you still get a period!
2. Of course some women will think they are ill because they are having some of the above symptoms and still have a period. Often women who are having erratic periods and some of the listed symptoms and are in denial that it could just be menopause think they have some disease. Compared to a life threatening or chronic disease, menopause is a good thing!
3. Of course you want to see a doctor just to be sure that it is menopause and not a thyroid condition or some other disease. Then if it is menopause, accept it.
4. Of course the physical side effects are irritating and miserable and combining them with the mental side effects, menopause can become a perfect storm for the courts. To stay free from becoming a felon for the next 5-15 years you need to learn to accept this is life. The alternative to menopause is death!
5. Of course some women will even go so far to say that menopause was the best thing that ever happened to them. They feel no periods and no need for birth control is liberating. Yeah for the positive thinkers!
In a nut shell, the physical side effects of menopause suck. Misery loves company and if you have girlfriends your same age you can commiserate together! Those of you who have no side effects be careful when talking about it in front of a woman in the throes of menopause for your own physical safety.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.