Did you know that the leading cause of disability in this country is osteoarthritis which afflicts 27 million Americans? Most sufferers are between the age of 40-60 although children can develop painful joint condition too. Bone deformities, joint injuries or overuse, muscle weakness and obesity increase the rik for osteoarthritis. If you are active in sports, resting once in a while those achy joints will help, but there are also opportunties to try gentle workouts like cycling, swimming, tai-chi,walking and yoga. These can strengthen muscles surrounding affected joints. Here are some natural ways to help with aching joints:
1. Rub capsicum crean on painful joints to relieve pain topically
2. Try taking standardized willow bark extract which is found to be as effective as conventional drugs without the adverse side effects, especially for knee or hip pain due to osteoarthritis
3. Try a non-inflammatory whole foods diet that includes fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
4. Sulfur rich foods like asparagus, eggs, garlic and onions may also help
5. Bromelian, an enzyme found in fresh pineapples is an excellent anti-inflammatory as it is ginger root.
6. Limit saturated and transfats and increase your intake of fish oils or take an omega-3 supplement.
7. Anti-oxidants, vitamin D, and minerals like copper, selenium,and zinc may also be useful.
8. Clinical trials of SAMe was found to reduce pain, stiffness caused by osteoarthritis and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) also appears to have benefits to help achy joints.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.