Photo: Getty Images
Growing up traveling to India nearly every year of my childhood, I’ve always been a fan of coconut water. We’d have it straight from the coconut with nothing but a straw almost everyday. It was the perfect treat to cool us down after a day spent under the Mumbai sun.
Stateside today, coconut water is crowding the shelves of every health food, grocery, and drug store in the country. It’s touted as the newest post-workout replenishing beverage. While the jury regarding its health merits is still out, here’s a peek at nine of its undeniable benefits:
1. It’s naturally low in cholesterol, making it a balanced beverage choice.
2. Coconut water is also a good source of Vitamin C and riboflavin.
3. It’s also loaded with dietary fiber and magnesium .
4. Coconut water is also naturally low in calories and fat-free, making it a much healthier choice than soda or sports drinks.
5. A single serving has as much potassium, a natural electrolyte, as two whole bananas.
6. It also has a noticeable amount of phosphorus and manganese.
7. Its high levels of potassium and low levels of sodium are shown to help lower high blood pressure.
8. It’s a natural immunity booster, great for travelers or when suffering from any type of stomach illness.
9. If you have a tendency to break out, coconut water has been known to work wonders as a natural mask or face wash. It works as a natural cleanser and can help to reduce acne scars.
Coconut Water Craze: Are the Health Benefits Worth the High Cost?
By Sarah Atwood, MS, RD on Oct 21, 2011. FYI Living, Inc. Retrieved 25 Nov. 2011.
Coconut Water Health Benefits. ForeverLookinGood.Com. Retrieved 25 Nov. 2011.
Reviewed November 30, 2011
by Michele Blacksberg RN
Edited by Jody Smith