Photo: Getty Images
When you are dieting, snack foods can be so plain and boring. Sometimes these diet snack foods have no personality.
The key to snacks foods while dieting is portion size. Try to keep snacks under 100 calories.
Prepackage and make your own snacks, especially if you are on a budget. You can be creative with diet snack foods.
Commercially pre-packaged could be dangerous to your diet. According to the Journal of Consumer Research ʺconsumers ate twice as much when products came from small packaging.ʺ
Shape Magazine’s website stated, ʺif you wind up eating more than one bag, then they are no longer beneficial to your healthy diet plan.ʺ
The following health snacks for weight loss recommendations were compiled from Shape, Better Homes and Gardens, Shape Fit and Women’s Health Magazines.
These healthy snack recommendations are between 60-160 calories per serving.
Healthy snack foods for work:
• 1/2 cup edamame (measured shelled)
• 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
• 1 1/4 ounces Turkey Jerky
• 1 tablespoon peanuts and 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
• 3 cups of air-popped popcorn
• Small box of raisins
• 16 animal crackers
• 1 cup vegetable juice such as V8, and 2 ounces Oscar Mayer Oven-Roasted Turkey Breast
• 2/3 cup Barbara's Bakery Cinnamon Puffins Cereal (dry)
• 18 Fat Free Rold Gold Tiny Twists
• About 1/2 cup Frozen Yogurt
• 1 ounce Yellowtail, 1 ounce Tuna Sashimi with 1 packet Kikkoman and Instant Tofu Miso Soup
• Starbucks tall skinny latte
• A pear
• An apple
• Small banana
• One cup of strawberries
• One cup baby carrots with 2 tablespoons hummus
• 1/2 cantaloupe
At home snack foods which require prep:
• 1 cup of raspberries with 2 tablespoons plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon honey
• Sliced tomato with a sprinkle of feta cheese and a dab of olive oil
• 8 shrimp and 4 tablespoons cocktail sauce
• 2 egg whites with 1 slice whole wheat toast
• Chocolate Milk (1 c nonfat milk + 1 tablespoon Hershey's Lite Chocolate Syrup)
• 3/4 cup mango tossed with lime juice and red pepper flakes
• 1/2 large pink grapefruit sprinkled with 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar and broiled for about 5 minutes