It’s Wednesday afternoon and you were planning to go to the gym after work. But after standing and running around almost all day you feel cramping, pain and itching down at your feet and lower legs. Why did I wear those heels, you think to yourself? And how am I going to workout with this pain?
Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and tortuous, typically occurring on the leg.
PREVALENCE AND CAUSES:
Some common symptoms include aching pain, easily tired legs, leg heaviness or swelling, darkening of the skin, numbness in the legs, itching or irritated rash in the legs.
1. Do not cross your legs when sitting
2. Elevate your legs when resting as often as possible
3. Avoid standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time
4. Exercise regularly
5. Watch your weight
6. Eat high-fiber foods, decrease salt
7. Avoid becoming constipated as this may put pressure on the veins
8. Wear sunscreen