Whether you are thinking about it, just beginning, or in the midst of trying, there are many things you and your partner can do to help the fertility process along. Remember that it takes about 3 months to create an egg or a sperm from start to finish so give yourself those 3 months to become even healthier.
1) Know your cycle – understand when you ovulate, when your cervical mucus is stretchy and how many days you have until your next period. This helps with the timing and gives you an idea of when in the month is most optimal. Remember that the stretchy cervical mucus is the gateway up inside like an elevator that takes the sperm to the egg.
2) Clean up your habits – stop smoking and drinking. Switch to vegetables, fruits and proteins that are organic and free-range. Use environmentally friendly household cleaners and check out the ingredients on your skin care and shampoo. Anything that comes in contact with your skin absorbs right inside.
3) Have your hormones checked – get the complete thyroid test (not just the TSH screening). Evaluate your progesterone in the second half of your cycle and your estrogen and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) during the first few days of your period. Make sure you aren’t anemic and have good Vitamin D levels.
4) Get him checked. Sperm are half the equation so make sure he’s eating a healthy diet, not smoking or drinking, keeping his phone out of his front pocket, laptop off of his lap, and not doing too many things to elevate the temperature of the boys such as wearing briefs, riding a bike, and sitting in hot tubs. While women take a pre-natal, men should be on a good quality multi-vitamin as well. The sperm need it!
5) Get baby ready – have you mentally prepared yourself for a kid? Does your life move at a million miles a minute and yet somehow you’ve convinced yourself that it will all slow down once you deliver (let alone during the actual pregnancy?) Begin to carve out space now and make the necessary adjustments (in baby steps, of course) so your body and your mind get on the same page.