Facebook Pixel

Sun Poisoning: When Sun Exposure is too Much

Rate This

The term sun poisoning can be misleading. While sun poisoning typically results from over exposure to the sun, there is no actual poisoning. Sun poisoning is a condition resulting from severe sunburn. Over exposure to UV radiation (a high energy, short wavelength light source) is responsible for causing skin damage and can lead to sun poisoning. Exposure to the sun for more than 15 minutes can cause sunburn and skin damage if the skin is not properly protected. Continued exposure can cause severe problems and lead to the development of sun poisoning. For this reason, proper skin protection is very important.

Skin poisoning is a serious skin condition, which should not be confused with mild sun burn. Individuals suffering from sun poisoning can experience swelling, blistering, tingling, pain, and skin redness at the site of irritation. The prolonged exposure can cause fever, chills, nausea, headaches, dehydration, and dizziness. In some serious instances, individuals suffering from sun poisoning can experience increased, labored breathing, a rapid pulse, shock and loss of consciousness, and a fever.

Sun poisoning can also refer to two other conditions: polymorphous light eruption and solar urticaria. Polymorphous light eruption affects individuals who are exposed to more intense sunlight than used to. The disorder affects approximately one in ten Americans, with women being more affected than men. Individuals who can experience polymorphous light eruption must be predisposed to the condition. The required sunlight depends on the individual, and the severity of the condition may lessen without treatment. Individuals suffering from polymorphous light eruption experience severe skin rashes 30 minutes to an hour after sunlight exposure. These rashes can appear as dense clumps of bumps, small bumps appearing over the skin, or hives. A specific form of polymorphous light eruption can be found in certain Native American groups. This condition becomes apparent during the spring and can last until the small. Afflicted individuals experience redness, irritation, and burning, which can last between a few days and several weeks.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.