Your skin is your largest organ, and it takes a daily beating from the sun, air pollution, chemicals and other harmful pathogens. To restore and protect your skin, try these healthy tips and remedies.
In the summer we spend time outside under a blazing sun, often unaware of the danger to our skin while we enjoy the beach, a game of tennis or go about our daily business. While planning your activities, know there is a fine line between suntan and sunburn. Regular, limited exposure to moderate sunlight stimulates vitamin D production in your skin which is essential to bone health and lowers the risk of some cancers. However, the skin is sensitive to ultraviolet rays, and prolonged and repeated sunburns can lead to skin aging, loss of skin elasticity and skin cancer.
The best way to protect your skin is, of course, to avoid being in the sun for prolonged periods of time. You can also avoid damaging your skin by doing the following:
• Limit your exposure to the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Use UVA sunscreens with a SPF factor of 30 to 50.
• Wear long-sleeve shirts, pants and wide-brim hats.
If you already have a mild sunburn, try these home remedies:
• A topical application of aloe vera gel is a tried and- true remedy for skin burns.
• Apply a thin layer of plain yogurt to the burn area. It will cool and moisturize the skin.
• Drink pineapple and black cherry juice mixed together to reduce inflammation and heat.
• Apply Tao of Wellness Regenerating Cream. (See Wellness Shop)
GO FOR A NATURAL, HEALTHY GLOW
Many cosmetics use harmful chemicals. Eye lash enhancing mascara may use formaldehyde, and lipstick often contains plastic resins. Foundation makeup may include chemical solvents that are carcinogenic. Bag the dangerous makeup and opt instead for natural alternatives found in health food stores that use colored clays, vegetable oils and other natural ingredients.
MOISTURIZE FOR SOFT SKIN
For a deeply moisturizing treatment, gently rub your skin with calendula oil twice a day. To bring relief from tight, itchy skin, blend ten drops of Tao of Wellness Tonic Oil with fresh aloe gel. Apply liberally and frequently.