Is 45 too old to have a baby??

By Anonymous April 9, 2009 - 11:14am

I'm recently married and my new husband and I have started talking about having a baby together. Not right away, but maybe we'd start trying in the next year or two. I have a couple of teenagers from my previous marriage and this is his first marriage (no kids). The problem is timing - we're not getting any younger!! We're both in our 40's - I'll be turning 45 later this year, and when I had my last baby at age 31, I thought I was totally done having kids. I never would have dreamed I'd even be thinking about another baby, but of course I never ever dreamed I'd get divorced and then remarried.

My question to other moms out there is what your opinion is on having a baby later in life. I'd love to know ALL your feelings on this. At the moment, I'm so enjoying my teenagers and love the fact that they're each becoming so independent and that we can do so many fun things together. I love my independence as well, and how much easier this part of my life is. As much as I'd love to have a baby with my husband at some point, I'm wondering if adding a new baby into the mix would be completely insane at this "middle-aged" stage of the game. What do you think? I could sure use some advice!

Anonymous

I had my 4th baby at the age of 45, my husband was 46. We both came into the relationship with 3 each, their ages at the time of the new one's arrival was 20, 18, 17, 17, 15 and 13. Our addition to the family is now 5, and the household is still very hectic, messy, loud, happy and lots of times angry.
I delivered her naturally after 5 hours of labour (I had to be induced) with my husband and 20 year old daughter present, she weighed 7lbs 3oz (my smallest baby, but still a perfectly healthy size). In the delivery room I had 2 obstetricians, 2 obstetrical nurses, a pediatrician and a pediatric nurse, we weren't anticipating any health issues but I think this was a standard practice at this hospital. We both received a clean bill of health within 10 minutes of delivery, including a high five from the pediatric team!
She is now 5 and the most energetic, happy, imaginative little person! She is truly our joy, her siblings all adore her and she them. I absolutely cannot imagine my life without her, she is my little best friend, i have no regrets. I would encourage any older woman who wants to have a baby whether it's her first or her 4th to just get started! Worry, fear, exhaustion, frustration is all the same, these emotions have no age restrictions and are not reserved only for the older mom. There will always be obstacles to overcome and hurdles to cross when making and bringing a little life into the world.
We had some heart breaks and fears on the way; we experienced the crushing grief of 2 miscarriages before becoming pregnant with her. I would not have an amnio due to my fear of the possible but slight chances of it inducing a miscarriage, so the duration of the pregnancy my blood ran cold regarding her health. Ultra sounds showed that she had stopped growing at 7 months gestation, only to deliver her at a text book weight on her due date. I was given very little choice regarding an epidural ,with the brief explanation of my increased risk of having a heart attack at my age, although in perfect physical health. She was born with her umbilical cord loosely around her neck. But all the worries and fears and apprehension were laid to rest when she safely emerged.
Our little girl has been and I'm sure will continue to be the light of our lives, we feel privileged and blessed to have her!
So to answer your question? Don't put it off, don't overthink, if a baby is what you want then get making a baby!

Anonymous

I just read all 300+ comment. I'm 45 now. My periods are regular and I am on the pill. I'm dating a 26 year old who wants kids...but not yet. My oldest is grown and the other is in her late teens. If I wait, I'm in serious risk for having a child with special needs. I don't want to knowingly do that. I may have to back out of this very loving relationship because I can't give him a baby in a a few years. This makes me so sad.

Similar situation... My gf was 33 at the time and I was 44. I already had three smart, athletic and fun daughters... She didn't want kids at the beginning of our relationship but she changed her mind after a couple of years... We broke up over a year ago... I will give my life for any of my daughters: but starting over at 45 !!! I think that you are making the right decision to let him go and make his own family. My ex is getting married soon and I'm enjoying my kids and single life. I bet that he enjoyed dating you!!! good luck.. He will be fine, and you too!

Aw, thank you. I haven't given him up yet. And he doesn't want to give up me. This isn't easy. You are a better man than I. He will make his own family one day, I know it. We've known this was temporary all along.

I'm sorry you're in this predicament but your boyfriend knows your age and the obvious issue of fertility that goes along with it. And at 26, he may not be ready until his early thirties.

Enjoy the relationship for what it is for now and hopefully you can remain good friends for the years to come!

Anonymous

I am 45 years of age and I am 5 weeks. My four other children are grown. We weren't trying to children, but it happened. Me and my husband have successfully avoided unwanted pregnancies during our 20 year marriage with counting, clearly I forgot to add the one or something. Because this has happened. I am willing to give it another try and if Gods sees fit, it will work out for me. Regardless of the crass and obvious reaction from family and friends....

45 isn't even that old anyway! My SIL had her one and only at 45 and she was born healthy and is two and thriving! Enjoy every minute!

:)

I really glad that I stumbled upon this post. I was feeling a little discouraged until I read all the comments. I'm 45 & my cycles are still regular. I have 4 kids, ages 24, 23, 17 & 8. We've been actively trying to conceive naturally for the past four months. I went to the doctor in February & she said that everything looked good.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried serrapeptase & the natural progesterone cream? IVF is our last resort as my health insurance doesn't cover infertility treatments unfortunately.

Anonymous

I am 44 and turning 45 this year ,, l have had 2 miscarriages , 1_ just this month 12,weeks 4_days ,, l rally wanted this baby . l want to try again but scared to now , worried about what people think ! If people want a baby in there forty's l say should try ,, don't wait ! Do assp l had my last child at 40 everything was great he's 4 yrs now . just take your folic acid ladies very important x