Pregnancy Guide

ask: Is 45 too old to have a baby??

I'm recently married and my new husband and I have started talking about having a baby together. Not right away, but maybe we'd start trying in the next year or two. I have a couple of teenagers from my previous marriage and this is his first marriage (no kids). The problem is timing - we're not getting any younger!! We're both in our 40's - I'll be turning 45 later this year, and when I had my last baby at age 31, I thought I was totally done having kids. I never would have dreamed I'd even be thinking about another baby, but of course I never ever dreamed I'd get divorced and then remarried.

My question to other moms out there is what your opinion is on having a baby later in life. I'd love to know ALL your feelings on this. At the moment, I'm so enjoying my teenagers and love the fact that they're each becoming so independent and that we can do so many fun things together. I love my independence as well, and how much easier this part of my life is. As much as I'd love to have a baby with my husband at some point, I'm wondering if adding a new baby into the mix would be completely insane at this "middle-aged" stage of the game. What do you think? I could sure use some advice!

Anonymous

Wow! Reading all the comments really encourages me to keep trying for our dream baby. I'm 41 and been married 2 years to the most incredible man I've ever known. He has 2 young boys from a previous marriage and I have 5 from my first marriage (husband passed away). All my kids are grown and I would LOVE to have one with my hubby! I've had 4 miscarriages in the last year :'( Dr says all tests are fine and miscarriages are due to chromosomal abnormalities. I'm going for IVF as soon as I get my next period.

Anonymous

I am 42 years old, my husband just turned 50 in November. I didn't meet him until he was 48 and I was 40. We just got married in July, 2014. He was a cancer patient when he was 28 years old, and after chemo treatment was told his sperm were dead and he couldn't father any children. He went on with his life thinking this was true. Now I'm a getting ready to have his first baby in a couple of weeks. I've never been happier than I am having a baby with the love of my life, and also giving him this precious gift. Don't let society scare you. You can absolutely have a healthy baby. The statistics of babies with defects due to older moms are much lower than having healthy ones. Stay positive and good luck to you and your husband.

Anonymous

Hi, to give you some hope I gave birth to my healthy and perfect beautiful daughter at age 45 in August this year and have never been happier. I have a 24 year old son who has grown up and left home leading his own life. Like you I met Mr right late in life and finally have everything I always wanted.
I used serrapeptase to ensure clear ovaries ( 2 a day taken on empty stomach available on amazon) royal jelly and co enzyme q 10 plus healthy eating and walking to try and make sure of a good quality egg. To stimulate ovaries I used natural progesterone cream (also available on amazon and side effect free unlike that used in IVF) as demonstrated by the trialed doctor Lee method, which you can google. Apply a quarter teaspoon to skin twice a day days 5 to 26 of cycle for 2/3 months then stop, it worked for us that first month we stopped. I tracked ovulation with sticks and went for it! Good luck, mums in 40s make great parents, we on average live longer now, I have no probs with tiredness etc compared to being a parent before at 21 and it is just so much more relaxed and enjoyable and you will have so much to offer.

Anonymous

no problem, just go ahead with your plan. having a new baby will be a happiness for you and husband...so just try.

Anonymous

I gave birth at 48 to a daughter, unexpectedly, after having two sons. My daughter is now 5 years old, my sons are 27 and 30 years old. The best thing about being an older parent is you understand life is a journey. Don't take things personally and so seriously. My daughter has given me energy and drive to make the future of our children better than we ever imagined. Life is an adventure. It's what you make of it, and, what you believe.....can happen.

Thank you for this comment! I will be 45 this Saturday and now, through many other events that happened at the same time, I am considering undergoing surgery to remopve my fibroids so I can try getting pregnant in 6 months. I dont look nor feel 45. People think on average I am 35-38 yrs old. But I know there are risks and trying to be mature Bout the situation I am trying to see all sides of this. I have been wanting a baby for 10 or so years and there was always something that got in the way. One od my close friends told me something great yesterday when I asked her opinion: you have been talking about a baby for so long that you need to try, so not to regret it later on if you didnt. This is your last call!

Hi! I had my little boy at 45 and had no problems at all! Pregnancy and birth went smoothly! He is now 2 years old and his older brothers and sisters ar 27, 24, and 18 and they all love him to pieces. I say if your fit and healthy and have the energy and its what you both want then go for it! X

YOUR MESSAGE INSPIRE. THANK YOU SO MUCH

sepps (reply to Anonymous)

Your message inspired me
Thank youyv

Anonymous

I started to have a baby at age 48. Now I am a 54 years and have a 5 years old boy . I adored him every day. He gave me hope, love and made me look younger , prettier, stronger , and healthier .
I do not regret day.

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :