Actual chances of pregnancy - missed 2 pills in second week, on the pill for years

I have been on the pill for years and am generally very responsible about taking pills on time. However, I recently missed the first two pills of my second week. I did as instructed and took the two I missed when I remembered, and the next two the following day. I have been experiencing breakthrough bleeding for the past few days since the missed pills. Being forgetful, I had unprotected sex a few days after. I know that missing two pills in any week can increase my chances of pregnancy, but I'm wondering how great my chances actually are, given that it was my second week and I've been on the pill for a long time. I am considering taking Plan B but I'd rather not if it is not necessary. Also, I have taken Plan B three times before and I am concerned about taking it again (even though I know there is no evidence of long term risks).

Thank you so much for your help!

We have had other recent questions regarding being on the Pill for a long time and then the odds of pregnancy when missing two or three pills.

Truth be told, there are no odds (as in a "20% risk" or "three times more likely") in these kinds of cases. While some women do experience a benefit of long term hormonal regulation from the Pill when it comes to missed pills - other women can get pregnant the same month they come off the Pill - even if they were on it for many years.

It seems that you did make up your missed pills as indicated so you should have been protected. There should be no reason for you to take Plan B if this is the case. It's true it won't harm you but it does tend to change cycles for at least one month.

I'm surprised you are experiencing breakthrough bleeding at only two missed pills, and making them up as required. But these things can happen.

For now, use a backup method (like condoms) and adopt a wait and see attitude till you get your 'real' breakthrough bleeding. If you have had to take Plan B three times before, you may not be as reliable about taking the Pill as you think! I'd suggest always carrying a condom with you - just in case.

If I am reading your post correctly, you should be protected - but we obviously can't know this for sure. Keep taking the Pill until you know for sure.

I wish you the best!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I really appreciate you taking the time. I stumbled upon this site while looking for information on my situation and I'm very glad I did. You (and this website) are such a great resource, so once again - thanks :-)

It's helpful to hear your opinion as I have a tendency to get carried away in these situations! You are right that I could be better about the pill (although incidentally I could also probably tone down the paranoia...better safe than sorry, I guess). I too am surprised by the breakthrough bleeding which is quite unusual for me, although I don't make too much of it right now. In the meantime, I will 'wait and see' as you suggest.

Thanks again for your reply.