Am I better off taking hrt supplementation back into my own hands?

By October 6, 2015 - 3:55am

I am now turning 61, extremely fit and always a good and very slender body. I was started on standard low dose hrt some years ago and that was great. As time went went by I became concerned about taking it. However, I was not willing to go off the hrt. So I started reducing the pills very, very gradually until I found the lowest level that would work for me. This was about 1/4 of dose I had been prescribed of the already low dose. After a few years I started to be concerned with even this as I am extremely into healthy living. I reduced it further to about 1/7 of the dose by starting my self on creams available without prescription on vitamin stores online. These were progesterone, estridiol, pregnenolone, and testosterone. I had no problem with any of the above. The later did restore my flagging libido and I have ever had a single weight issue in the whole of my life.

Now here is the trouble: In my desire to live a more natural life I thought I best go to a clinic for bio identical (Marion Gluck Clinic London) hrt. After blood tests I was prescribed some creams with the same elements as I had been self-medicating with. I noticed no change whatsoever when I completely swapped treatments. That was two months ago. Now, for the first time in my life I am fighting with my weight. I haven't put on much as I would not allow it but I feel my tummy is bigger and if I ate anywhere near normal I would gain much more than the three pounds I have gained. I am extremely active but hate this. I am so tempted to simply swap back to where I was and hope for the best and also hope my weight situation will return to normal.
Any responses and views will be gratefully received!
Many thanks,

Hi Grack

I wouldn't be so focused on a three pound weight gain, anyone can gain that in a couple of days, depending on what they eat and drink. That's a easy weight loss.

But - if you cannot even eat normally without weight gain, there should be no reason to go back to your other method. That's the method that worked and made you feel the best.

At 61 your body isn't what it was at 41 or even 51. It sounds like you live a very healthy life and are enjoying those benefits. You sound very in tune with your body and well-researched. Go with what works! Your old system worked.