Am I pregnant? Please help!!

My husband and I have been married for 6 years (next Friday). I'm 30 years old. We've thought about having kids but haven't really been trying yet. Last month however, we were not that careful & let's just say that there was a HIGH probability of me getting pregnant.

So, I'm not sure exactly when I ovulated (because I wasn't keeping track) so I just estimated about 2 weeks after my last period because that's average for most woman, right?

Around day 6, I started getting some unusual cramping & my breasts felt sore (which never happens, even during my period). Then I started charting my symptoms, and investigating online to see if they were actual pregnancy symptoms or not. Turns out, the majority of them were.

Of course, I became anxious & started taking home pregnancy tests right away (even though you're supposed to wait until after a missed period). ALL were negative but, I still had all the signs. Hmmm...????

On day 13 - I went in to see a doctor & asked for a blood test to check my HCG levels. I continued to have some symptoms over the weekend & my husband and I were certain the test would come back positive but, I got a call yesterday saying it was negative????

They told me to come back in a week if I didn't start my period. I went back last Friday, they did another urine test & said it was positive but, when I looked at the test, it looked VERY faint & the 2nd line was almost smeared looking. They did a sonogram but, were unable to see anything.....they said it might just be too early.

My husband and I were excited but, trying not to get our hopes up again. The next morning I did a home test to see if I would get the same 2nd line but, it came back negative?? Could the doctor's test just be more sensitive than the home test? If my hormone levels are too low for the test to pick up, is that a bad sign?

Now, my period is 8 days late.....I'm still bloated & my boobs are sore. Oh, and I've also been charting my temperature for the past 2 weeks & it's been between 98.1 ~ 98.7 but, my normal temp. is slightly below normal at around 97.5.

Any advice would be wonderful......and I appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

P.S. I should also mention that my cycles are relatively normal 28 days cycles.

Here are my symptoms since day 6

Last menstrual cycle ~ June 6th
Ovulation ~ Around June 19 (Spotting & cervical mucus)

1 ~ 5 DPO - No symptoms!
6 DPO - Cramping in lower right abdomen, light headed
7 DPO - Sore breasts, dizzy, tired
8 DPO - HPT (Negative), Dizzy, swollen breasts, bloating
9 DPO - Nausea, vomiting, frequent bowel movements, bloating
10 DPO - Nausea, diarrhea, increased appetite, bloating, increased sense of smell
11 DPO - HPT (Negative) Very dizzy,some diarrhea, tired, high temperature, increased
12 DPO - HPT (Negative) thirsty, tired, a little dizzy, pain in my feet, breasts pain, cervical mucus, high temperature, sore under arms
13 DPO - Diarrhea, dizzy, sore breasts, nausea,*Blood Test*
14 DPO - HPT (Negative) Dizzy, sore breasts, increased appetite, cramping
15 DPO - Tired, mild cramping, high temps
16 DPO - Negative blood test, bloated, high temps
17 DPO - bloated, sore breasts, high temps, dizzy
18 DPO - 24 DPO - missed period, bloated, sore breasts, increased appetite, dizzy, high temps

I'm not sure if you doctor has confirmed that you are testing positive for pregnancy, or not?!

It sounds like you may have had a bout of the flu, rather than these symptoms being those of pregnancy, IF you are negative.

Someone recently posted that she had missed two weeks of pills in a row (married for several years and messed up last month so I assume that was you?) so if you are not pregnant, it sounds like your cycle is just very irregular right now, due to those missed pills. If you would like to go back on them, talk to your doctor.

About your doctor test being faint - can you clarify this? Usually a positive test is positive! In other words, it's rare to have a false negative. Your hCG levels (pregnancy hormones) should be growing rapidly but not all women have very high levels and go on to have fine babies!

Did your doctor tell you that you were pregnant, or not? Was this confirmed to you?

Hi Susan,

Thanks for you reply!

First off, it wasn't me who posted about going off the pills. I haven't been on birth control for over a year!

As for the confirmed pregnancy. The doctor said that the test was positive but, faint. When I looked at the test strip, it looked very light & a little smeared into the 2nd line.....does that make sense?

I still haven't had my period so, I'm just waiting it out & trying home test every 2-3 days. If it hasn't started by 7/23 then I'm going back to the doctor for another blood test & ultrasound.

I'm curious to find out how you went? I am in the same position as you with a very very very faint positive 15 DPO testing first thing in the morning. Although i tested again tonight and it was a clear negative. I'm going to keep testing till AF comes...which I'm hoping she doesn't.
I think I may have O'd late and implanted much later. hcg levels I've read somewhere doubles every 48 hours or so.

Well, I m/c at about 5 1/2 weeks :(
It was difficult but at least now I know what's happening with my body & I can move forward. The not knowing is the hardest part.

I think my hormone levels were just too low & never made it up to where they should have been. It was a difficult 5 weeks.

I wish you all the best & hope you have a healthy pregnancy! :)

Take Care!!

(reply to Anonymous)

I am sorry to hear that you had a miscarriage. Please let us know if you would like to talk about this, and we wish you the best.