Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

I have had the Mirena IUD for over a year now. I had a terrible experience getting it put it (cramping for days to the point of not being able to move out of my bed) That was followed by months of spotting. But finally I was at a point where I was only spotting a couple days a month around my period time. Then came the side effects. I have no sex drive at all. I have not one bit of interest in anything sexual at all. This might be too much info for some but because I had no sex drive I was really dry so I thought that was the problem so I went to the dr and he subscribed me medication that women going through menopause take. That cause me to get a cyst that has been with me for eight months now. I have had that checked and the dr says they can put me to sleep to remove it but it may look different down there since they will have to cut a deep hole to get it all. So of course due to all that I don't have any sex drive at all. My finance is lucky if we have sex every three or four months. When we do I have no interest in it at all. I am only 29 and don't want children yet so I feel like I have no other choice but to keep the iud. I also have constant yeast infections and have had a cyst that will not go away. AlsO not sure if anyone else has this side effect but Since getting the iud I have an issue with sweating. My feet sweat to the point where I have to put spray on them everyday just so I can make it through the day off work without people smelling my feet. I have been thinking of getting the paragard but I had super long heavy periods before and I heard they get worse with the paragard. I just read about the new version of the mirena that has less Hormones. I am at a lose at what to do. I don't want to get pregnant but really the mirena to me is the same as abstinence because my body won't allow me to have sex. I feel like I am going crazy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

This is a followup of my post of 17 July 2014.
I had my second mirena removed just after my 1st post and honestly today I'm feeling so much better. I have my sex drive back, haven't had headaches for weeks now, I'm feeling much calmer and no more feeling depressed or anxious.
I've been following these posts for a while now and if you read through all of them you'll see most of the symptoms are similar. My husband went for a vasectomy and I'm not on anything at the moment and I'm not planning on going on anything either. My body needs a break and I'm feeling so much better. Do it if you can, wish I had done it long ago. My gynaecologist didn't agree with me but I've decided to follow my research and listen to my body. It was in anyways time for my second marina to be replaced but I am happy not to be on any hormones as the results are far better than what I've experienced the last 10 years.

Way to go girl. I had mine removed at the end of July and I feel so much better as well. I am also off birth control altogether and it is going to stay that way.I feel too good to good to give that up. I just don't mind it if I become preggers .

Anonymous

I had the Mirena inserted after the birth of my 2nd child. I had it in for the full 5 years. Just this week had it removed and the copper, non-hormonal IUD Paragard inserted. For at least the first 9 months of having the Mirena inserted, I went back and forth about going in to get it removed due to serious mood swings, mainly sadness and feelings of depression and anxiety. I am a mental health professional and very aware of these changes. I also had to be veryu aware of the fact of personal and profound grief at the same time--our son died of a brain tumor 2 years prior to our daughter's birth. SO I had to try to gauge whether this was grief, was it normal, was it related to other stressors. The major change though was the Mirena. And the feelings would surge and lessen in what was a clear monthly cycle. After the 9 months, my mood seemed to go back to stable without any difficulties. BUT my sex drive has been pretty much non-existent for the entire 5 year. Again, I have thought about the Mirena as part of this, but never really knew for sure due to so many other things that contribute to stress, both myself and my husband working all the time, parenting issues. I love my husband very much and we have had years of an amazing sex life. I am hoping this will change with the removal of the Mirena. But even though I know the Paragard is non-hormonal, I worry about it. I am planning to talk to my husband about his getting a vasectomy so I can be completely device as well as hormone free.

Anonymous

I got mirena put in 2 years ago . And have completely lost my sex drive. To the point where I don't even want it any more . It sucks not trying to be weird but I miss sex but I don't know just can't do it .I have thought about removing it but this is the only birth control that seems to be more comfortable for me. But on the other side of me I want it out because I haven't been having sex. I go 3-4 months without having sex. If I do have sex it's 1 a month . So I understand where you are coming from. I'm also scared to get it removed.

i had it for 2years lost all sex drive i was not myself weight just problem after problem my boyfriend was the one who said my marina made me that way i did not notice i was sooo zoned out of conversations and my life so i had it removed in may it has been 3months and i feel great i feel normal happy alive n my sex drive is 110%. immediately after having it out you feel light n u get your period lots of blood n clors but worth it.ladies get it out immediately

Anonymous

My name is Levi,
How long is it taking for changes to occur? My wife and I are at a point where everything is great in our relationship except the sex. She was on the pill before we had kids (3 and 1 year old daughters) and now she is using Mirena. We have been having issues since before our first child. For 7 years now we have been in a slump (2-3 times/month), and the 6 years prior I was in the service and she was in college. There are many factors that could be the cause of our issues but we never thought about the cause being birth control. Any insight is welcome.

Hello Levi, I have had the same problems with my wife since she has had her IUD. I have asked her to consider removing it to no avail. Sex is so few and far between it seems almost unhuman. She is depressed, has mood swings, and non-conversational forrays that are all attributable to the Mirena. Her sex drive is so non-existent that she feels she is asexual. After I did my research and figured it was the Mirena I mentioned it to her and she chewed my head off and said is that all you could come up with? She is so moved and relates to anything depressing and she never was like that before the Mirena, but refuses to see the connection.

Hey Levi- sorry about your issues! All I know is that nature is cruel in that we were created with all different sex drives and chemistry. I felt the change almost immediately after getting it taken out, but who knows how much of that was in my head. We have now switched to http://vcfcontraceptive.com/whatisvcf.html and it was awesome. So we shall see, but I feel 100% better after having it removed.

Thank you for the input. I plan on getting a vasectomy if things change but we are going to do things the old fashioned way and use condoms until we know where we stand post removal.

How do you control your PMS?: