Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

I really want to see a follow up of one who has gotten off of the mirena and if it helped the situation. Upon reading this I am not real hopeful:
http://www.the-generous-husband.com/2010/02/27/is-the-pill-killing-her-s...

I also want to know if it affects just sex or all intimacy such as closeness, hugging, kissing, etc.

Thanks!

Anonymous

It's interesting that the health professionals seem to be dismissing all the associated symptoms that everyone on here and other sites are discussing! I'm a nurse myself so not sure why the docs are so adamant that the symptoms are not connected ?! I had mirena inserted 2 months ago and have definitely lost my mojo! I felt that previously my ability to get wet was something to be celebrated. Now I can't even get wet through any sexual activity. I feel like I have been stripped of all sexuality. I am having a consultation with a gynae doc tomorrow with a view to getting it removed. Mirena may be a functional form of bc but it is preventing me from having any fun.

Anonymous

I have had the minera in for almost a year and I have lost all interest in sex its terrible. When i was prego and even before that my sex drive was intense and unstoppable, now i can't even masturbate i feel it is totally minera and i think i need to have it removed or i will lose my relationship. Any men reading this its not your partner losing interest in ypu, she herself is lost and dont blame her. I myself never thought i could lose my sex drive (i always wanted it more than my guy) its time to try a different birth control. Good luck

This more and more encouraging to hear this for me. My wife and I are in our first year of marriage which is said to be the toughest. Couple that with her being in the military and we are far from family and friends. It really couldn't feel tougher and alone. We are to that point where I have to work to convince her to let us keep working on our life together. She has said that she doesn't have that romantic love for me. She feels love for me but is very confused and can't explain it. She is convinced to getting rid of the mirena, so hopefully we will be able to resume our path together.

Anonymous

You know, it hadn't occurred to me before now, but yes, since I had the Mirena implanted my sex drive has definitely bottomed out. Normally I wanted sex more often than my husband did, now the situation is quite reversed. :-/ I'm just never in the mood. It probably doesn't help that the simple act of getting turned on is slightly painful, now. When things start to tighten down below, I can feel the Mirena, and it causes an uncomfortable tugging sensation deep inside. To top it all off, I recently broke down and admitted to myself that I've been depressed since last December, and I had the Mirena implanted last October. So, now I'm wondering if the Mirena has caused that, too. :(

Anonymous

I'm so glad to see some relief to my own relationship woes. As much as it is terrible to see so many having problems it is also a comfort for myself to know that the zero sex drive and mood change is so common. My wife will be seeing this soon. We have been married a little over a year now and the device was placed not too much later. We had such a solid relationship till these side affects started taking place. Much to the point that I didn't even think such a small device could really wreck a couples life. I certainly hope we can repair the damage it has caused in a very timely manner.
Thank you all for sharing and hopefully all turns well very soon.

Is it all kinds of intimacy (kissing, hugging) or just lack of sex? I am at a loss with my wife. I hope this is the culprit. I did have a vasectomy and it is being removed in a few months, but I really want to know exactly how,this affects things. Thank yiou!

Anonymous

I had Mirena for the full 5 years. The beginning was difficult with headaches and mood swings but it didn't last. I recently had it removed and out of nowhere my sex drive is over the moon!!! To the point I think my husband is annoyed! Is this common with anyone having Mirena removed or is it just me??

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

This is a thread based on people feeling awful with the Mirena in and then great when it comes out so it's not just you. You can read the testimonials below. 

Anonymous

My girlfriend of 2.5+ years seems to have the majority of these side effect symptoms. Zero sex drive, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, stomach pain, mood swings and a deterioration of love for her boyfriend, me.
She is the one who told me she loved me first and we recently completed a semi-long distance relationship while she was studying abroad in London. I am 30 year old male and she is 26. When she left abroad she also said she loved me and that everything would be fine with our relationship when she returned. I traveled to Europe 5 times to visit her.

Since her Minera IUD, everything seems to have changed in our relationship. She has no interest in me other than a platonic relationship. We always have fun together but I can tell the spark in her eyes that she once had is gone, or at least hidden under the surface. I am truly convinced it is the birth control but anytime I mention it she snaps and does not want to admit this might be the issue. I feel lost and so confused with the sudden deterioration of our relationship. I know in my heart it is the IUD. I have read countless hours on these message boards and try to discuss with her others that maybe in the same situation as us.

She has an appointment scheduled with an OBGYN next week. I have asked my girlfriend if I can write some questions to ask the OBGYN. Do you think it would be going to far to ask if I could accompany her to the appointment? How can I be supportive while still giving her space? I want this relationship to workout and get back to where it was. I have been a great/loving boyfriend to her but it seems in the last 6 months nothing I do is good enough and any little thing sets her off.

Seeking some advice.

S.

How do you control your PMS?: