ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Update: it's been two months since I have the mirena removed and I feel slighty better. I've been getting heavy periods and stop taking any kind of BC to let me body return to normality. I feel like I'm slowly losing the weight I put on and my face has cleared up. My sex is drive is still no where near where it was before but I feel I can give my hubby more affection than right before I removed the coil. I'm in a better mood but my periods are very heavy with clots which is making me think something might be wrong, cyst maybe? I have an appt with my dr in two weeks. Update to follow.

Update! Got my more a out a month and a half ago best decision I ever made I feel like a whole different person. I have energy, I'm not tired or grumpy anymore. My sex drive came back full force after my first real period and I don't get cramps randomly throughout he month anymore. My GYN thought I was crazy since she said mirena is a local drug but I don't believe it again best decision ever!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

That's great news, Anon.

I'm glad you're feeling a lot better!

Bear in mind that some doctors say the medication they prescribe is perfectly fine in order to save face if they get it wrong or are wrong about the side effects.

I have had two different Mirenas - My first in 2008 was perfect! I had no periods (except maybe 2 or 3 really light ones a year), high sex drive, lost weight, skin cleared up, everything. Perfect. Well, I got a new one in 2013 when the first expired and it has been nothing but trouble! My periods have gotten progressively worse, my sex drive is almost non-existent, and the heavy cramping and mood swings make me think I'm going crazy. 2 weeks ago, I had enough and made an appointment with the Gyno, who told me several things (that my low libido could just be because I'm 30 - are you serious?! 30 is supposed to be the peak!) and that the heavy cramping and progressively worse periods could be fibroids or endometriosis or adenomysis and a bunch of other scary sounding things. So she sent me for a sonogram which revealed that I have ovarian cysts (well, duh, I could've told them that) but also that the second Mirena was put in too low and this is my body's way of trying (and failing) to purge it. One of the nurses was chatting with me before the Gyno saw me and she said that she had heard patients complaining of the same symptoms with their second Mirena right around the same insertion timeframe as me - which makes me think that somewhere between 2008 and 2013 they changed the "generation" of Mirena and all of these new symptoms are because of the generation change (in addition to being too low). Frankly I think this new Gyno doesn't have any idea what she's talking about so as soon as I get my replacement Mirena, I'll get a new doctor. I'm in so much pain right now, but I refuse to let them take it out without one to replace it immediately. Can't risk it.

I don't have any other options except to get another one (which apparently takes this office 2 weeks to order) and hope the second time goes better. I cannot take BC pills because they make me sick to my stomach, the depo shot makes people fat, the skin implant causes breakouts, the patch was awesome (except that whole embarrassing patch on your butt), I've heard the ring has the same side effects as the Mirena. My husband refuses to have a vasectomy; the only good thing out of all of this is that he looks like a pathetic whiny child. My only other option is a partial hysterectomy, but I do not have 3 weeks of sick leave and once I'm off of the Mirena hormones I'm afraid that'll mean my skin will get bad again and all of the awful PMS symptoms will still happen even if I don't get any periods (which I have been told happens). I'm currently awake at 2:45am in my time zone because I cannot sleep in this much pain.

After 20 years of marriage (25 together) I love my husband more than words can say but after having the coil fitted my sex drive is non existent. It has helped so much with menopausal issues but to what expense? Do I get it removed and suffer or persist?

I am newly married and got an mirena two months ago. I hate it, it constantly is giving me pain. I used to feel my sex drive every day. But hardly do any more. I want to get it removed but need to find a good alternative birth control. I was thinking nuva ring but I heard it can do the same thing:( HELP!

Get your Mirena taken out and consider the use of condoms (hormone free) or the birth control pill. You can also choose spermicides or an injection known as Depo Provera. Talk to your doctor about your options.

Did any women in this forum that had this issue with Mirena get their hormone levels checked before they got it removed? If so, then what were the results?

I'm very sorry for the personal question, but did any women that had this issue masturbate and it was just the idea of sex with a physical person (your husband) not seem appealing? I heard one woman say that mentally she thought about it but when it came to the physical part it just wasn't there.

Here's my background:
I'm the guy here, and my marriage is in serious trouble now. I pretty much define a relationship through affection. In my opinion, without affection you are just good friends or roommates.

We were very sexually active before my wife got pregnant with our first. My wife has had the IUD for pretty much our whole marriage. We decided to have a baby right away and she got the IUD right after the birth of our son. Sex and affection has never been in abundance after that, (maybe once a month) but I attributed that to just having a kid. Over the years it got to the point where if I didn't bring up the idea of sex or attempt to get something started then it wasn't happening. I tested it a couple of times and went 3 months before I said something. It was basically like she just didn't think about it at all.

My wife had the IUD replaced at the 5 year mark and things have gotten worse. Our son is 8. We have had some arguments over the years. Not many though, maybe one to two a year. Some stemming from lack of affection and others not. So, now it has been a year since we've had sex. So, I showed her this thread because we are basically on the brink of divorce. She blames her lack of wanting to be affectionate at all on the past arguments and shutting me out, which I'm sure that is part of it. But, I believe there has to be something more because we actually have a good relationship day to day. We would be great friends/roommates, but I don't think I can be in an A-sexual relationship for another 40 years. I believe, she would probably be just fine with it.

So, I showed this thread to my wife hoping this could actually be part of the issue. She got her hormone levels tested and they cam back fine, so now, I don't think she is going to get it removed. It was kind of my last hope. We still do marriage counseling, but I don't think something is going to magically make her want to have be affectionate.

I just ran across this because i was researching my problems. I feel like this is exactly like me! Ever since I've had the mirena my sex drive sucks. But when i do want to have sex its like a big deal and id rather not. I'm almost at my breaking point with it. Its not fair to my fiance that i don't ever want to have sex because of this stupid thing. Its been the best as far as me not getting pregnant's the worst when it comes to other things!

Why don't you get a vasectomy? I think they're starting male birth control pills these days. Why aren't you taking any responsibility for this? Then she can get the Mirena out - or switch it for something else that might not cause so much trouble and not have to deal with the possibility of pregnancy. You sound upset just because she won't be affectionate - think of what she's going through in addition to her realizing she's not affectionate and is stuck between a rock and hard place on what to do. Birth control management is a GIANT life suck of being female and the need to be preoccupied about what goes on down there on a daily basis is awful - if you couldn't already tell from some of these posts. Maybe, just maybe, she's already having issues with the IUD, is aware she's having issues, doesn't know what to do because there aren't a whole lot of other options, and then you harping on her for sex is the absolute last thing she wants to deal with?

How do you control your PMS?: