Q: 

Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

I have had my marina IUD in for almost 5 yrs now soon to be taken out here soon now that my husband went in for a vasectomy. I find that yes I've struggled with weight gain and my libido is now non-existent also and when we do anything it actually hurts about 90% of the time. Wishing it would just be over.

Anonymous

So my wife has had this removed 2 and 1/2 years. She has full blown anxiety about our sex life, to where she takes a xanex to be with me. I was hoping this would become better over time, but that is not the case. I can't blame it all on Mirena (as there have been other issues in our marriage), but has anyone else experienced this level of anxiety/no mood returning? Luckily all other parts of our marriage are stable. This is definitely a hard one to deal with. Thank you for this support group.

Anonymous

Thank you all SO much for sharing your stories!!! I have had the Mirena in for almost 5 years and the last three years it has truly began ruining my relationship! Every single thing all of you have mentioned, the not wanting sex, having no sex drive, not ever feeling turned on and almost repulsed by the sight of my partner.... those are all things I have been feeling for over 3 years now!! A big part of me felt like it might have been the Mirena but we got pregnant with our daughter while on birth control pills so I have an exceptionally high fear of getting pregnant while on birth control which is why I chose the Mirena in the first place & its geld me back from removing it. It has given me such a peace of mind not having to worry about an unplanned pregnancy but at the same time it has destroyed ALL of my sex drive to the point my 7yr relationship is hanging by a thread! On top of it I spot for about three weeks out of the month & I never stopped having periods which is another big thing I was hoping for. When I do have periods they're short about 3 days but so heavy and for a good two weeks out of the month I am discharging old somewgat dried black blood (sorry if TMI).... I am absolutely making an appointment today to get this thing taken out and in the meantime will do research as to what kind of birth control to replace it with! Thabks again for sharing! So glad to know im not alone....or just crazy lol

Anonymous

I had a suspicion about this, but I never could find a source. My doctor suggested it and I had the Mirena put in about 2 years ago and I think since then, my sex drive is basically non-existent and it's ruining my bf's and my relationship. It's been months and I just don't get turned on. The shitty thing is I thought it would get rid of my periods and it doesn't. I didn't know the lack of sex drive was so common. I think I want to get it taken out and just go back to pulling out. Or maybe get something else.

Anonymous

I met my girlfriend a little over 2 years ago and she had a Mirena implant done before I met her to control her heavy periods. The sex was great and and it had been about 8 months into the relationship when at that time it was time to come out. Since I already had a vasectomy, she figured she would leave it out and see what happened. Her libido took a dive and she totally went the other way. She still had interest, but she suddenly had a hard time having orgasms and or initiating sex. It's wasn't fun for her and drove her crazy. After a while she revisited her gyno and told her about the changes. Apparently some women (very few of them) have the reverse effect she was one of them. So after 5 months of not having one, she had a new one placed and our sex life is now back to normal. (Praise the lord) She can once again orgasm multiple times and doesn't have to worry about periods.

Hormones are a funny thing and sometimes, just work the opposite way. We can say we are one of the luck fes couples that have had s positive change.

Wish you all the best and a great sex life!

M&K in Arizona

Anonymous

I had the IUD implanted in December of 2014 and removed two months ago. Over the few years that I had it, my husband angered me to no end. I pushed him away because I never wanted to be close to him. We never cuddled. His touch annoyed me. My libido was non-existent. Since I had it removed, my libido is back, and I feel a need and a want to be close to him again. I'm so glad to find that this is a common thing.

Anonymous

I feel like everyone here has taken the words right out of my mouth!!
I honestly have been feeling this way for years and it only just clicked it may be the Mirena. My husband thinks i don't love him and cheating cos i have no interest in sex at all and the thought of it makes me want to cry.
THANK YOU!!!
I will be making an appointment to have it removed today..

Anonymous

I'm crying right now, I'm so relieved to know I'm not alone and so sorry that there are so many of us suffering like this.

I've had the Mirena since late December 2014 when I was 41 and in a new relationship. I chose it for the passive birth control as well as period management; my flow was always ridiculously heavy (I needed super absorbent tampons and had to back them up with overnight pads, both of which needed to be changed every two hours) and I couldn't take being chained to the bathroom for a week every month.

Since then, I've put on about 15 lbs, started getting more pimples than I used to, I'm exhausted all the time, i have frequent headaches, and because I already suffer from depression, it's become worse and worse. It never occurred to me that the Mirena might have been the cause of all that, including my lack of sexual desire, so for most of our relationship, my boyfriend (who is now my husband) thought I didn't desire him. Everything either makes me cry or angry. I've started thinking a lot about suicide and death over the last few months.

My husband is about to leave me because he thinks I've never wanted him sexually, that I must be seeing someone on the side, and because I've become more and more moody and ragey, picking fights over every damned thing, he thinks I don't even want to be with him, let alone have sex. He's so angry with me.

I'm crying now because even if I get the Mirena removed, what if the effects don't go away in time for me to save my marriage? I'm so scared that I'm going to lose the man I love, that if it turns out the mirena is the reason for all my crazy, he'll think I'm making it all up to keep him from leaving.

Be well, and get the iud removed. I had my merina out almost 2 weeks ago. I'd had the it for almost 10 years (two seperate but sequential iuds). Please be sure to surround yourself with the support you need. I really did experience a 'crash' about 3 days after removal. It was like PMS for me, a sense of overwhelming dread and inability to cope. It's MUCH better now, and the belly bloat is substantially diminished. It never occurred to me that the merina could have impacted my libido. Now that the iud is gone I have, without getting too graphic, the internal 'urge' from the uterus area. You gals know what I mean! My libido is BACK! My husband is a physician so by definition skeptical, but even if the symptoms are psychosomatic who cares? I feel better (now, but do be prepared for a few days of ick) and there is no question my sex drive has returned. For that alone it's worth having it removed.

Please reach out to someone if you are thinking about suicide. 1-800-273-8255 That is the suicide hotline. You are loved and your life matters! Your life is worth it and it will all get better!