ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

Anonymous

I'm 25 years old, in a relationship for almost five years with the most amazing man. I had the Mirena inserted about two or three years ago after I had an abortion. My sex drive plummeted, I got very emotionally unstable and it was only up until a few months ago I started to link it with the insertion of the Mirena. My bf has been extremely supportive and patient with me, but we were on the verge of a break up. I had intimacy issues whereas I couldn't even enjoy just kissing and cuddling because I was afraid he'd want to have sex and I really didnt feel like it, ever... When on, what's left of, my period, I feel really depressed, I feel the whole world hates me... I also experienced the headaches and just the lack of passion in and for life.
My boyfriend is getting a vasectomy next month and I had the Mirena removed yesterday. I don't want any more hormones in my body, guess we'll have to use the good old condom for a few months. I don't know if it was because of the pressure being gone but I already initiated sex yesterday night. I love my bf and I feel so bad he felt so unattractive for so long...
It's horrible to think nobody seems to get well-informed about the Mirena before having it inserted... It almost brought me to tears when I read this man's comment stating that probably a lot of marriages/relationships ended because of this stupid plastic thing that messes with every fibre in your body...

Anonymous

I am experiencing the low sex drive as well with the mirena I don't know what to do. I have tried numerous other birth controls which none have worked better than the mirena but I feel so bad for my other half he feels unwanted and thinks I'm cheating on him which I totally am not! I don't want to get it removed but I also don't want him to feel like that I am completely torn....

Can some of you please tell me how long it takes for libido to come back. I have seen anywhere from 1 week to 1 year. My wife is going on about 3 and 1/2 months and I am feeling really really badly and insecure as a husband.
#losingpatience

Dutty13 (reply to Anonymous)

I was like that. I was so torn, I'm sex drive was nonexistent and my husband felt so alone. Accused me of cheating, and had plenty of fights over it.
But, all I had to do was change my thoughts. I looked at him like I used to, admired his abs, his muscles, and of course his 'size'. Now we have sex daily, you just have to remember how attractive they are.

Anonymous

Me and my wife have sex only about twice a month. She claims that the Marina gives her a low sex me and my wife have sex only about twice a month. She claims that the Marina gives her a low sex drive. I have read that birth-control does reduce sex drive. But me personally as the husband I feel unwanted It's very hard to explain. I know my wife loves me unconditionally. It's not like I want to have sex every day part of having sex is being able to connect with my wife in that special way. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm a very patient guy. I'm just a little confused

Anonymous

I got off the Mirena almost two months ago and my libido is back full force. I really feel ten times better than I did on it. After baby #2 I will ask for an alternative that is safe for breastfeeding. In the mean time I am enjoying "trying" and feel like my old randy self!

Anonymous

I'm experiencing the same thing with my fiancé right now. No sex drive at all, and it doesn't seem to bother her. She just keeps telling me to be patient and gets upset with me when I bring it up. But after the last 8 months of her pregnancy with no sex drive, then a year of no sex drive because of the mirena, it takes not only a physical toll, but definitely a mental and emotional toll on a guy. My advice is to please give it your best shot even if you're not "in the mood" or at least assist him in his "activities". Men do things all the time that they aren't necessarily in the mood for just to make their significant other feel good, like massages and cuddling, and even just doing random things daily. That's something my fiancé doesn't seem to understand and she won't put in any sort of effort to make me feel wanted if she isn't getting something from it. I'm not saying anybody should feel obligated to have sex, but please be aware that making your loved one feel not wanted for close to two years more than drags them down. I'm an emotional wreck because of it

pavelnunez (reply to Anonymous)

"... I'm not saying anybody should feel obligated to have sex..." But what's wrong about having sex? Advaced societies doesn't take into account the toll of the guys, they only see the suffering of the women, but I don't hear anybody talking about us.

There's nothing wrong about sex, man and woman enjoy it a lot, so why are you talking about "... feel obligated ... " its a pleasure for both. Don't miss the point!!

Anonymous (reply to pavelnunez)

I know it should be a pleasure for both men and women to have sex. That's why no one should feel obligated to do it. If the sex drive is not there, and a woman feels like they "have to" do it just because she's married or engaged, whatever the case may be, it takes away from it for both people involved. No one should feel obligated to have sex, they should want to. But at the same time women who are on birth control that kills their sex drive need to understand what it can do to their loved ones emotional and mental state to not feel wanted. Which was my point for posting. It's a difficult situation to not feel like you "have to" do it but at the same time keep your loved one feeling wanted. It's not easy, but I was giving my situation as a reference point, to let women who might be going through the same thing to know what it does to their significant other so they can put forth the effort or do whatever they can to avoid making their S.O. feel unwanted.

Dutty13 (reply to Anonymous)

Just give her time. My husband would be upset because I never wanted to have sex either. But I would once in awhile just to make him happy. Then for some odd reason my attitude changed, I opened my eyes and realized he was hurting, and I was making him feel unwanted. After a long talk, we now have sex regularly. All I needed to hear was how I making him feel, and it changed everything. We do foreplay, and make out. It makes it amazing. See if she will try.

How do you control your PMS?: