Q: 

Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

Wow thank you ladies for telling all your stores. I'm a man that's 31 been with my wife for 17yrs. We have four beautiful kids. Well I come to notice that her sex drive was just not there. So we talk- and I ask her (so do you just care not to have sex) And that when she hit me with she just really have no sex drive and she keep telling me it's not becouse of me. It her iud and she can't stand it. But so on so on. Thank you again for haveing this page.

Anonymous

My experience has been similar to most of yours! To give everyone an idea, I am young (early 30s), in excellent health, and had a fantastic sex life up until 2-3 months ago with a man to whom I'm absolutely attracted. I have the Liletta IUD, which is a generic version of Mirena (same type and same amount of hormones). My dip in libido has coincided with the loss of my period over the 8 months that I've had Liletta. I have no period now and no sex drive, and it's been a stress on my relatively new relationship (around 8 months of being together). I'm considering getting my IUD removed and opting for something different.

Anonymous

Im the total opposite story, since i got my Mirena my sex drive hace increase like crazy! Now i'm only thinking about intimacy that why i start reading about the effects over the libido, but my reaction is totally opposite

Anonymous

After speaking to my husband and wondering what was wrong with me I decided to google and found this. I'm so happy to know that I am not alone and its not me. I love my husband and he thinks I am no longer attracted to him due the fact my sex drive......really does not exist. I used to be more spontaneous and loving and I miss that about me.

Now i know without a doubt this thing has to come out. I will not go another 5 years like this. Thank you all for being so open because I REALLY felt like it was me.

Anonymous

Oh my goodness... thank you to all who posted here.... I have had this stupid IUD for almost two years and my world has shattered... my once loving and happy marriage has been crumbling before my eyes. I have been with my husband for 19 years and over the last two years we have had nothing but problems with intimacy. I love him more then life itself and couldn't understand why I was feeling repulsed at every advance. If he even tried to grab my boobs i felt like cringing. Haven't had sex in like 4/6 months. And any sex prior to that was not the way it should be or once was. Lost count honestly of how long in between we had nothing... no sex, holding hands, touching, kissing, etc.and didn't miss sex at all. No drive, no nothing. He has been rejected by me so much for so long that he can't do it anymore. It's gotten so bad that he started going out to the bars and meet someone in the last 2 months. No sex, but they've kissed and it hurts that he is finding passion in another because I couldn't give it to him. Now we are struggling to hang onto our marriage and family(2 kids). I have been feeling so rotten and depressed for so long about my loss of affection for my husband, that I thought after 19 years maybe it was 'just over'. Struggling so bad on how I love him so much and he is my "everything " , but feel nauseated to even think of intimacy in any fashion. I wish I had seen and thought of it being this stupid IUD before now. I fear that I waited too long to find this post and realize I'm not 'alone' because he is ready to end our marriage/family and see where this new women might take him. Sigh... I wasn't even going to post after I read all of yours, but thought I better. I hope no one else goes through what I am dealing with now. Our marriage is shattered and I fear un-repairable... I can only pray that we can work it out, but I think it's too late... I'm so broken and it's all to a stupid birth control. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I am having this taken out! Good luck to everyone

I was considering getting the IUD until I read this. I’ve been having problems in my marriage as is. If this kills my libido then I may as well throw in the towel.
I feel I need to add tho that a relationship is not all about the sex. My husband has made our marriage problems about sex. And it’s not that I don’t want sex... my problem is I don’t feel like it when my mind is racing from everything else that’s going on in our lives. Stress plays as big a roll as hormones. The kids have grown up. Two have graduated and are moving out. My job as a mother is more or less over. I’ve been a Stay at home mother/wife for the better part of 22 years while I raised the kids. No career means I have no income of my own. That’s kind of stressful, esp when considering the possibility of being single.
I hope if you had it removed and your hormones are coming back inline with normalcy, that you also consider that if he was cheating on you... that’s on him. Not you. Don’t blame yourself. (I could take my own advice I suppose as your story is almost exactly like my own). I hope for the best for you. Peace and love.

How is everything now that you've taken it out?

Hello I was just wondering how it went when you took it out . I am struggling also with my husband.

I was having the same problem as everyone else here. Low sex drive and everything he did to try to make a move made me cringe! I was kind of angry a lot too. And this went on for 3-4 maybe even 5 years!!
I got the Mirena IUD taken out about a week 1/2 ago and the last 3 days have been crazy! I have been like a teenager- hormones crazy and just ready to go. I initiated having sex the last 3 days and that is NOT something I would normally do.
Sorry if this is TMI or too forward. But I want to be honest with you ladies.
If you think the Mirena is causing low sex drive- REMOVE IT! Before it effects your marriage. It's not worth it.

Unfortunately not the same experience with my wife. It was taken out 2 years ago and we are still dealing with things. I pray for initiation like this!! Man how loved I would feel! Maybe one of these days. It is still amiss unfortunately. Don't know if it is life situation, stress or Mirena... or combination of it all.