Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

This is a followup of my post of 17 July 2014.
I had my second mirena removed just after my 1st post and honestly today I'm feeling so much better. I have my sex drive back, haven't had headaches for weeks now, I'm feeling much calmer and no more feeling depressed or anxious.
I've been following these posts for a while now and if you read through all of them you'll see most of the symptoms are similar. My husband went for a vasectomy and I'm not on anything at the moment and I'm not planning on going on anything either. My body needs a break and I'm feeling so much better. Do it if you can, wish I had done it long ago. My gynaecologist didn't agree with me but I've decided to follow my research and listen to my body. It was in anyways time for my second marina to be replaced but I am happy not to be on any hormones as the results are far better than what I've experienced the last 10 years.

Anonymous

I had the Mirena inserted after the birth of my 2nd child. I had it in for the full 5 years. Just this week had it removed and the copper, non-hormonal IUD Paragard inserted. For at least the first 9 months of having the Mirena inserted, I went back and forth about going in to get it removed due to serious mood swings, mainly sadness and feelings of depression and anxiety. I am a mental health professional and very aware of these changes. I also had to be veryu aware of the fact of personal and profound grief at the same time--our son died of a brain tumor 2 years prior to our daughter's birth. SO I had to try to gauge whether this was grief, was it normal, was it related to other stressors. The major change though was the Mirena. And the feelings would surge and lessen in what was a clear monthly cycle. After the 9 months, my mood seemed to go back to stable without any difficulties. BUT my sex drive has been pretty much non-existent for the entire 5 year. Again, I have thought about the Mirena as part of this, but never really knew for sure due to so many other things that contribute to stress, both myself and my husband working all the time, parenting issues. I love my husband very much and we have had years of an amazing sex life. I am hoping this will change with the removal of the Mirena. But even though I know the Paragard is non-hormonal, I worry about it. I am planning to talk to my husband about his getting a vasectomy so I can be completely device as well as hormone free.

Anonymous

I got mirena put in 2 years ago . And have completely lost my sex drive. To the point where I don't even want it any more . It sucks not trying to be weird but I miss sex but I don't know just can't do it .I have thought about removing it but this is the only birth control that seems to be more comfortable for me. But on the other side of me I want it out because I haven't been having sex. I go 3-4 months without having sex. If I do have sex it's 1 a month . So I understand where you are coming from. I'm also scared to get it removed.

i had it for 2years lost all sex drive i was not myself weight just problem after problem my boyfriend was the one who said my marina made me that way i did not notice i was sooo zoned out of conversations and my life so i had it removed in may it has been 3months and i feel great i feel normal happy alive n my sex drive is 110%. immediately after having it out you feel light n u get your period lots of blood n clors but worth it.ladies get it out immediately

Anonymous

My name is Levi,
How long is it taking for changes to occur? My wife and I are at a point where everything is great in our relationship except the sex. She was on the pill before we had kids (3 and 1 year old daughters) and now she is using Mirena. We have been having issues since before our first child. For 7 years now we have been in a slump (2-3 times/month), and the 6 years prior I was in the service and she was in college. There are many factors that could be the cause of our issues but we never thought about the cause being birth control. Any insight is welcome.

Hey Levi- sorry about your issues! All I know is that nature is cruel in that we were created with all different sex drives and chemistry. I felt the change almost immediately after getting it taken out, but who knows how much of that was in my head. We have now switched to http://vcfcontraceptive.com/whatisvcf.html and it was awesome. So we shall see, but I feel 100% better after having it removed.

Thank you for the input. I plan on getting a vasectomy if things change but we are going to do things the old fashioned way and use condoms until we know where we stand post removal.

Anonymous

Well. I have had BOTH IUD options now and I will tell you my experience, so perhaps I can help someone else. I am 36, no children, in a domestic partnership and don't smoke. I'm about 5'9 135 pounds. I have tried all pills and they ALL make me an insane emotional person, which is why I tried IUDs in the first place. My best friend did some research and found out about the copper Paraguard. So I spoke to my GYN about it and got it inserted. Huge horrible long periods and cramps. I would have kept it in because it wasn't affecting me emotionally or sexually, but my body actually expelled it after a couple of months. So, I tried the Mirena because my GYN insisted that it wouldn't have side affects and the small dose of hormones went directly into my uterus. Well- ha. I had horrible cramping, spotting the whole month, I became emotionally irrational again, lost any chance at an orgasm- and I actually did get that small pouch in my stomach I have read about on here from others. I have a very flat stomach, so I kinda found more amusing that it was a real thing when it appeared. I didn't gain any weight- aside from this small thing. Well, my body actually extracted it after a couple of months! I got it fully removed yesterday and I'm not joking the pouch is already gone- and I had three orgasms last night! Who knows if it's psychosomatic or not, but I am very thankful it is out and gone and I'm free of anything. I think I'm just not meant to have anything foreign (hormones or copper) in my body. Back to lambskin for me!

Anonymous

I'm currently reading forum posts about the mirena IUD because my fiance has it. To be honest because its such a long distance relationship due to my work. The combination has caused me to become so paranoid that there is someone else given the none existent and when it now happens dull sex life. She is also very easily irritated and we have fights over the most insignificant things that really shouldn't be a problem. For me its a nightmare and i can't even reason with her to advise the removal of this IUD. However reading these forums and the comments left by everyone has really helped to reassure the side of me that doesn't doubt her and the relationship at all. I believe in her whole heartily, its just that sometimes with the circumstances this IUD causes it can really cause me to worry because of how it adds up and seems.

Tell her to remove it! It is the best decision I've ever made.... Finally getting my life/old self back! That thing was a disaster and it takes a while for you to even realize it's your IUD....

How do you control your PMS?: