Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

Wow! I have the copper IUD (Paragard) and after reading this, I'm so glad I went with it instead of Mirena. I had cramps the first 2 months, and a 9 day period the 3rd month, and then about 5 day periods otherwise. My sex drive has been super high since getting it. I think it's because I have no worries about getting pregnant (I have a (beautiful) condom baby and hate using condoms anyway). Point is, I was thinking of switching to mirena to get shorter or no periods because my sex drive is so good that the 5 day periods seem super long because they also mean abstinence. But I'd much rather have long periods (I naturally only have 2-3 day extremely light periods) than no sex-drive. I'm definitely sticking with my Paragard and highly recommend it to all of you who've had trouble with Mirena. Thank you for all the information!!

Anonymous

I am so happy to have found this thread! I don't feel so alone and stupid knowing that there are other women experiencing the same type of issues. I am 23 and I got my mirena placed about a month ago and I am not sure if I made the right decision now. I originally got it placed for heavy periods and for pregnancy prevention, also it's one of the only birth controls that won't affect my blood pressure (I have high BP). Since I've had it in, I've had a period for about 2 weeks now, cramping almost every day, more acne than normal, moodiness that turns me into a you-know-what, and my sex drive is not what it use to be. I have a very high sex drive and so does my boyfriend but with my sex drive decreasing, it is now causing a problem in our relationship. He is understanding and supportive but I feel so badly that I can't perform for him like I use to or even want sex anymore :/. Also when I do attempt to be intimate, it's hard for me to reach orgasm and when I do, it's only half of what I use to achieve before. Extremely frustrating to say the least!! I have no idea what to do, I'm not sure if I should wait it out since it still is only a month that I've had it in or if I should get it out now to prevent any further problems. I'm also curious to hear if when other women got it taken out, how long it took them to start feeling somewhat "normal" again. Please give me all the advice you can lol!!!!

If you are already having problems with the Mirena in this short amount of time, I would have it removed ASAP! While my sex drive did come back for a short time months after having the Mirena removed, it never came back to what it used to be prior - I had mine for 5 years. The longer you have it the more problems/complications you will have. Good luck to you!

Anonymous

I wanted to ask if this really kills a woman's sex drive. My girl and I have been together for almost a year and a half, she used to have that birth control that goes in your arm but then she complained about weight gain and wanted to get another one so she decided to go for the IUD. She's barely 20 years old, and she's had that thing on her arm for 3 years until she decided to switch to the IUD. Before the change we would have sex 2-3 times a week(not much since we don't live together). We would always joke about sex and talk about it more openly, no lie, she's very shy when it comes to sex and sort of insecure about her body. But after the change to the IUD, I can count with my hands how many times we've had sex. She says that's she is like that and sex is whatever to her but I notice after we have sex she looks like she didn't like it, as if it was more of a chore for her. We went from having sex 2-3 times a week to once a month. At first I thought she didn't feel any affection towards me, or in doing something wrong but I can't even talk to her about sex because she gets upset. I can't even mention anything related to our sex relationship because she says get mad immediately. She's truly shown me that she loves me, so I know for her to be tired of me or seeing another person is not something she would do. But I do get frustrated to know that she doesn't want to have sex. Since we started dating she's always said that sex isn't really something she cares about but before the IUD I could see she would look at it differently, now it looks like she completely lost her desire to have sex. I need help finding a way to tell her to switch or just no be on BC. She really doesn't want to get pregnant yet so I know she would look at other BC options. But I don't know how to tell her that without her thinking that sex is all I want. I feel like that's what she thinks everytime I mention something related to sex or BC. And I'm afraid she could get a different concept of me thinking that sex is all I want.

Anonymous

It's so great to not be alone!! After reading these I'm going to get my merina removed as soon as possible! I have no energy I've gained the weight back after pregnancy, I'm moody and have absolutely no sex drive and it's making my partner of almost five years feel like something is wrong with him. I just recently thought this May be the problem! Thank you everyone!!!

Anonymous

Thank god! I have felt so alone! I've had two IUDs one after an abortion which was traumatizing alone and not only did it cause UTIs constantly for four years until I had it removed to get pregnant on my 1st son. I have had the second one in nearly two years and I feel like I'm going out of my mind! I used to be happy fun loving person and have a huge sex drive! Now it's diddle squat zero nothing happening ! My partner is very loving and wants to touch and be close and I just want none of it!! I don't like to be touched... Sex feels like a chore! I have boob tenderness back pain mood swings and when I'm low Im really low....I don't want to feel this way this isn't me this isn't normal for me! I'm so happy to not be alone!

Anonymous

so we are almost a year into removing this God forsaken Mirena IUD. We did not have sex for 5 months. It has gotten better, maybe twice a month or so these days, but she is really experiencing hypersensitivity to my touch. I am sure there are past factors that lead to all of this (Mirena being a biggy), but I am hopeful to have a thriving sex life where she can be comfortable with touch (touching me), oral for her.... just to be free in her sexuality. She is very much inhibited and has major anxiety about touching. I have read that it can take up to a year to get out of the system. Does anyone else experience this? Any insights? It has been rough!

Anonymous

I have been on Mirena for over 2 years now, and at this point I have almost no sex drive at all. My situation is slightly different because I had the IUD placed after having an abortion, which was the most traumatic experience of my life. I blamed my lack of sex drive on that experience alone, and only recently began to realize that the IUD could be contributing to the cause. I have been with the same partner since before having the IUD placed, and I have gone from having intercourse twice a day, to not even wanting to kiss him. It is really difficult to even be aroused, and if we do have intercourse it is painful. I now avoid even going down that road, which is causing a lot of problems in our relationship. After reading so many articles with people having similar experiences I'm going to have it removed, but I'm unsure what the next step should be. I was really nauseous and uncomfortable on the pill, so I'm worried that the switch will take me back down that road. I was happy with the security, simplicity, and lack of periods on the Mirena. If anyone has had a similar experience to mine, what worked better for you as a birth control? Did you find the copper Paragard to be effective without having such an impact on your sex drive?

I am in the exact same situation. (Same timeline, too) It is so stressful and confusing! I'm curious to hear from ladies who switched to a different birth control. I really want to figure this out! You are not alone <3

Anonymous

It has taken me one month to notice that mirena is the reason why my sex drive has gone away completely. Before mirena I was on depo for 4 years (doctors convinced me to get off of depo because I was on it longer than recommended) Anyway, after talking to my boyfriend about my doctors concerns about depo we decided together to switch to the IUD. WORST decision that I've ever made. Before getting this IUD we had sex on the regular. Most times two or three times a day. Now I am no longer affectionate AT ALL!!! Don't want to hug, kiss, cuddle and most of all I have no desire to have sex of any kind at all. After forcing myself to be intimate with him a few times I decided to be honest with him and tell him that I'm 1000% sure it's the IUD that's killing my sex drive. Let me not forget to mention that I've been super moody lately. It's almost like I'm depressed or extremely irritated most of the time the smallest things with will change my mood for the worst. Tomorrow is my 4 week appointment with my doctor to see how things are going with Mirena. After talking to my boyfriend and reading these comments I'm definitely getting it taken out tomorrow. We're going to just do condoms and give my body a break from all these birth control methods until we're ready to plan our next baby. I would not recommend this birth control to anyone.

How do you control your PMS?: