ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

mbays

My wife of 12 years had the Mirena IUD put in in feb in 6 months she now uses her own blanket won't kiss me has absolutely zero affection towards me...we have had a healthy sex life prior to this I tell her that I think it is her IUD and she just laughs at me and says you cannot believe all the horror stories on the Internet is there any way to get her libido back and her still keep the IUD she needed the IUD because of endometriosis and says she does not want to take it out

Anonymous

I had my mirena in since November of 2011 and just got it taken out last week on the 8th. I'm glad I made that decision now that I'm in a better mood and am slowly getting my sex drive back up to what it use to be. Since the removal I've only spotted for 5 days and had no cramping or anything of that nature.

Anonymous

I thought it was just me.. Ive had the mirena for a couple of months and my sex drive is very low..i can be in the mood and once we get to going boom there it goes.. i feel so bad because my husband looks forward to sex but i just dont feel the same .. Im overall happy with the weight gain beause ive been a skinny girl all my life.. idk what to do

Anonymous

Idk how your sex drives decreased!!!!! Mine increased so much that I'm never satisfied and want sex at the very least 4 times a day. I used to be indifferent about sex but now it's like my body needs it so much it's just a hassle. Plus now I get those pesky orgasm induced headaches. Ugh!

Joeherr

I have been on Mirena about 10 years now. I almost have no sex drive... We do not plan to have anymore children. What are other alternatives instead of the Mirena that doesn't affect your libido?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Joeherr)

Hi Joeherr

Your husband can have a vasectomy - it's not a difficult or dangerous procedure and he's back to normal in 48 hours. You will then be drug free and have no fears of pregnancy (once he gets the all clear).

You can also try the birth control pill or use condoms although condoms are a pain for a committed couple, IMO. There are many options that you can talk to your doctor about.

I wrote an article on all types of birth control, you can take a look at it here:
http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/birth-control-what-works-w...

whoknows

I had the mirena coil for 10 years. I gained so much weight, had a low mood, no interest in sex at all. My husband always blamed the coil, but I dismissed him. I recently got sterilized and had the coil removed. I feel so different in myself, feel like a young woman again. My moods have improved dramatically, I`ve already started to loose weight and my husband is very pleased to have me back...... ;-)

Joeherr (reply to whoknows)

Did you get the tub ligation ? How long before you felt back to normal?

Anonymous

I had my Mirena for about 15 months. At first I was really happy with it - had some bloating and cramps, but I figured that was just my body getting used to it. Not having a period was great. After about 6 months, things settled down a bit so that I felt generally "normal", but my sex drive was ZERO. We still had sex 1-2 times/week because I know it's important to my husband, but I just wasn't all that into it and he could tell. I had a hard time getting turned on, never actually achieved orgasm, and we had to use lube because my body wasn't making any. Well, I got it out about a month ago - libido has already returned and, to be totally blunt, I get super wet now. I'm 37 and I feel like a teenager again. It was a really good choice for me and my husband - it's made a huge difference in our relationship and sex life. I went back on the pill, which I'm not super happy about because of all the risks of stroke for an "older" woman (ahem). But...I'm fit, don't smoke, have low blood pressure, eat healthy, etc...so my Dr agreed that the risk is still minimal for me. Really wanted to love the IUD and wish science would come up with a better birth control.

Anonymous

After reading your comments I really need to make the appointment to get it removed my sex drive has disappeared altogether but just wondering what other methods of contraception have you decided on using

How do you control your PMS?: