Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

first of all, thank you, EVERY ONE OF YOU, who took the time to post here. As many people here I thought the problem was with me. I enjoy intimacy with my husband A LOT. I have many girlfriends who think that sex is "overrated" who never have orgasms. It's just not the case for me. I love sex, love the toe curling, waves through my body orgasms. Also, it usually doesn't take much, just the usual foreplay with my husband does the job. I am 33, have been married 10+ years and I have 3 kids. Well... my doctor recommended Mirena IUD and I thought - why not. No periods would be nice. This was before my husband and I went on a nice long tropical vacation (5 start hotel, ocean front suite, left the kids at home with my mom). Well... who knew that the ocean and all the luxuries of the world would NOT help me have a single orgasm!!!! It was like my body was all of a sudden was not capable of having orgasms . Not for the lack of trying. But 9 days of trying and the entire month after - and nothing!!!!! I kept thinking - what the heck is wrong with me? Was this a gift that I simply lost because I got older? Somewhere in the back of my mind I kept thinking - could this be the Mirena IUD? Is that physically possible to just turn my sex drive off like a light switch immediately after it went in? My husband, who has NEVER SEEN ME NOT ENJOY SEX IN THE 10 YEARS WE'VE BEEN MARRIED finally suggested that I looked it up online. So happy I saw this thread!!!! I'm getting this peace of crap out of me first thing in the morning. My suggestion to the rest of you is - if you are the type of woman who simply does not enjoy sex and never has orgasms - you might as well use an IUD. However, if you enjoy intimacy and that part of your relationship is important to you - trust me, periods is a small price to pay! DO NOT GET AN IUD!!!! (the only one I've used is Mirena, but I AM NOT EXPERIMENTING with ANY IUD EVER AGAIN!). I never post or comment on posts like these, but since reading all these comments has helped me so much, I thought I owed it to the rest of the people in the same situation to leave a comment and share my experience with Mirena.

Anonymous

I have had Mirena for 5 years since my son was born and I don't think I have had one orgasm in that time. My midwife dismissed the Mirena as the cause but after the research I have done I decided to get mine out tomorrow. I can't wait to see if I am able to get back to normal. It has been a long 5 years!

Anonymous

There is a males birth control...but not well know yet. It's a shot, simply sterilizes the sperm and when they are ready to have kids, they have a shot to reverse it..

I'm so glad I came across this post, I have Skyla IUD and I feel nothing for sex, have never had an orgasm on top of it..was crying this morning because my boyfriend just loves me despite that, but I feel horrible because sex isn't fun for me. It is leading to depression...but I absolutely don't want kids, so I don't know what to do. Need to remove this IUD though, so much pain and cramps..went to do it before but they told me it could just be one more month then fine bc it's all in place...ugh

I should talk him into the birth control for men!

Have it removed bcuz it ruined my sex drive it changed the ph balance
of my vagina gave me BV horrible little device
I was immediately horny after the removal but since I'm
On my period no penetration but it is very true
That ANY IUD will ruin your sex drive

I hope me being a man will not seem inappropriate when I ask this question. Did you also find yourself Moody and/or sharp with your partner? My wife has been on one for the past 3 years since the org of our daughter. The sex/sexual play has gone from day to night from before. Almost like a different woman and all since the IDU. Begining to think it me but I'm in the best shape of my life and always taking her on dates/dancing, buying her lingerie, sexy dresses..... Did you feel any of this?
Thank you,
Confused Husband....

IUD made me extra moody at times, but not constantly, after a little over a year i actually became less moody than ever and loss of PMS except cramps. Everyone I know on Mirena has completely lost libido. My relationship is suffering terribly, i feel guilty, I'm sure your wife does too. Its not you, its the IUD. Maybe try female condoms or nonhormonal birth control, I know the copper IUD is nonhormonal but I do not know if it changes libido. Good luck!

This is just what I've been searching for some information on having an IUD and low sex drive or lack of orgasmn, it's killing and my relationship may suffer but he hangs in there anyway. I'm making an appointment right now to have this removed.

I had the Mirena after my daughter was born in 2012. I kept in it (god knows why) for at least 2 1/2 years. From the very start the stomach aches were terrible and period that went months. Period would end, then I'd still hurt so bad I felt like I needed the relief of the period. All the while, libido was completely gone. Helped with the demise of the 7 year relationship I had. Get it out as soon as possible!

Anonymous

I have experienced a totally different effect with the IUD. My sex drive is up the roof, I am constantly thinking about sex, and my body is out of control. I feel like I am in high school again. lMAO!! My husband loves it. Weird that I am experiencing a totally different experience. I am 35 and within the last 10 years I haven't been even thinking about having sex. I just got the Mirena, IUD in 4 months and within the 2 months I felt different with my hormones. I feel more happier and my sex drive is unbelievable. Sorry to hear that so many others are experiencing a totally different way.

Anonymous

I'm getting mine out. 3 weeks in I feel like another person. I feel like I can't reach the emotional highs that I usually can and my usually high sex drive has nosedived. I've had constant cramps, bleeding after sex, and a comfortable numbness.
Not worth it!