Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

There is a males birth control...but not well know yet. It's a shot, simply sterilizes the sperm and when they are ready to have kids, they have a shot to reverse it..

I'm so glad I came across this post, I have Skyla IUD and I feel nothing for sex, have never had an orgasm on top of it..was crying this morning because my boyfriend just loves me despite that, but I feel horrible because sex isn't fun for me. It is leading to depression...but I absolutely don't want kids, so I don't know what to do. Need to remove this IUD though, so much pain and cramps..went to do it before but they told me it could just be one more month then fine bc it's all in place...ugh

I should talk him into the birth control for men!

This is just what I've been searching for some information on having an IUD and low sex drive or lack of orgasmn, it's killing and my relationship may suffer but he hangs in there anyway. I'm making an appointment right now to have this removed.

I had the Mirena after my daughter was born in 2012. I kept in it (god knows why) for at least 2 1/2 years. From the very start the stomach aches were terrible and period that went months. Period would end, then I'd still hurt so bad I felt like I needed the relief of the period. All the while, libido was completely gone. Helped with the demise of the 7 year relationship I had. Get it out as soon as possible!

Anonymous

I have experienced a totally different effect with the IUD. My sex drive is up the roof, I am constantly thinking about sex, and my body is out of control. I feel like I am in high school again. lMAO!! My husband loves it. Weird that I am experiencing a totally different experience. I am 35 and within the last 10 years I haven't been even thinking about having sex. I just got the Mirena, IUD in 4 months and within the 2 months I felt different with my hormones. I feel more happier and my sex drive is unbelievable. Sorry to hear that so many others are experiencing a totally different way.

Anonymous

I'm getting mine out. 3 weeks in I feel like another person. I feel like I can't reach the emotional highs that I usually can and my usually high sex drive has nosedived. I've had constant cramps, bleeding after sex, and a comfortable numbness.
Not worth it!

Anonymous

Hi there,
I had the same problem with the coil, i was very scared and i couldn't find anywhere when i would get my sex drive back. I wasn't sure what to do, weather leaving it in would mean my body would go back to normal when it got used to the coil, but then I started asking round, went to my doctor and found out a LOT of women had come in and said the same thing and that it might not go back to normal.
luckily It took about 7-8 months in total to come back after I had it removed and I had it in for about 5 months before I took it out.
At first it would come back once every couple of weeks for a day, then nothing, then again for a week, etc etc.. till slowly I'm just about back to normal! Worse decision for me getting that damn coil. Couldn't orgasm, cried when my boyfriend touched me, just couldn't get aroused in the slightest! Really put a strain on our relationship because I couldn't understand what was wrong with me and when I did what was going to happen.
But we are very lucky and I'm sure you will be too. Sometimes I wonder if its still as strong as it used to be, but i'm just happy I can orgasm now and at get excited at all! such a relief!

Anonymous

I havr had the mirena going on about 7 years. I first got it after I had my daughter. I had it placed bease it was the most effective thing out there and you didn't have to remember taking a pill. I got it removed and replaced 2 years ago. I feel like I have gained a lot of weight having this and I'm unable to loose the weight. I havr tried and no success I just stay the same. Then there is my sex drive it's like I don't have one at all and it's causing problems with my husband of 8 years. I don't know what to do. Is there anything else out there that will be easier to use and prevent pregnancy. I am willing to get this taken out if it will help increase my sex drive in order to save my marriage. If I would have known this I think I would have went with something else.

Anonymous

OMG thank you so much everyone for your comments.

I have always known I don't want to have kids, but I have to be on birth control because of bleeding so heavy I can't leave the house, and cramps so severe I vomit and black out, even if I take midol, tylenol, ibuprofen, or even Vicodin. Plus (sorry TMI) my periods give me diarrhea for three days and last for 10.

I have been on 4 different kinds of pill birth control, and ALL of them reduced my typically high sex drive (get horny for no reason 3-5 times a day) to like a few times a week. It was the same thing with the Mirena IUD, which I have had for 1 year exactly. On top of that with the Mirena, it was so painful to have anything even bump my cervix that I was afraid to masterbate, and have remained abstinent the whole year. I just got back from a planned parenthood visit, but the doctor talked me out of having it removed and told me this pain was caused by my SOAP, and told me I should only ever use dove soap bars down there. She also said it's impossible for the Mirena to lower my sex drive, as the hormones in it are too low. Plus after putting her fingers up there for the IUD exam, I had cramping for 20 minutes afterward and then cramping 12 hours later kind of intense. This is terrible. This is the second time a doctor has talked me out of getting my IUD removed. The other time, planned parenthood told me "you'll get used to it - this will go away after the first three months." This is terrible.

I already planned on going back next week and having it be removed. Now that I'm reading from other users that it can affect your sex drive permanently, even if you get it removed, I'm not even going to talk to the doctor about why, I'm just going to have it removed, they will NOT talk me out of it this time. I can't have the copper IUD cuz it is known to make periods worse/heavier, which is already my problem.

I know I'm only 23 but I'm going to get endometrial ablation. It makes you sterile and never have periods again, and after insurance costs $250 - 450. It's relatively painless (haha, that's what they said about the Mirena insertion, the most painful experience of my life) and can be done with localized or full body anesthetic. If you don't have health insurance, it's around $1,250. Planned parenthood doesn't do it but doctors do in their office.

Thank you once again to everyone on this forum, you have changed my life. I wish you luck with this bullshit birth control business. I can't wait for them to invent a male birth control. The main reason they haven't thus far is because it would impact sex drive. Funny how they suddenly care when this happens to male patients...

I total y agree with you! I am getting mine incerted tomorrow. I am still thinking about it. I also think that the fact that affects sex drive and lifw makes it Ok forma woman and not for man, that is why there is hormonal birth control forma man. So unfare!

If you can find the stringing and get a good grip of it you can pull it out your self. Once you get a grip pull slowly till its out. You can also YouTube and Google how to remove it yourself. It's supposed to be painless, it's supposed to be like pulling a tampon.