Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By Kara

Anonymous

Wow I never thought there would be so many people out there feeling the same as me! I have had the Mirena since mid 2012 and my sex drive has been somewhat non-existent. Within the past 6 months I have started experience random sharp (almost stabbing) cramp like pains - they last for half an hour or so each time... I have started keeping notes of when these occur so I have a pattern to show the doctor, prior to getting this darn device removed!!! I am somewhat concerned of what will occur once this is removed... it would be interesting to hear what others have experienced after the removal and also what alternative are people now using?? (Pill has so far not worked for me hence the Mirena).

Anonymous

This thread is so relevant to my life I couldn't help but reply. I'm only 21 and have had my IUD for 2 years now, since the birth of my daughter. I have loved having it the entire time until about the past 4 months. I don't have a period, I don't have mood swings, I don't get acne, I mean everything else about it has improved my life. But in the last 4 months I have noticed that I have no sex drive. I mean what 21 year old can say that? It's not that I want to be having lots of sex or anything, but I can't even get turned on by anything and I don't think it's fair. I'm very leery of having it taken out since it works so well other than this problem, so I'd love to know if the soy milk option has worked for more than one person? Are you just drinking a glass a day or more than 1 or using in ceral or that type of way? I'd love to hear your responses.

Anonymous

I had Mirena placed 6 months ago, and now my sex drive is non existent. I'm only 40 and my husband is 35, were both to young for this kind of side effect. I had it removed today, it was fast, easy and without much discomfort. I'm crossing my fingers it comes back soon!

If our experience is any guide, it will take less than a week. My partner had it in her from early October through late December. The negative effects were immediate and obvious. She had it taken out on December 29 and within a week she was nearly back to her wonderful self, about 80%. It took another month or six weeks to get her to 100%, but she, as the old R&B singer Fats Domino said, "is backer than ever".

Anonymous

So am I reading correctly? Drinking soy milk daily might give my wife her sex drive back?

Anonymous

I got the mirena last year after the birth of my daughter, and I loved it up until I started noticing the extreme hormone changes and lack of sex drive. After reading a few comments on here I took the suggestion of someone that said to drink a half glass of soy milk daily.........IT WORKED!!! My sex drive is starting to come back after only a week and my mood swings are A LOT more manageable. Definitely suggest drinking the soy milk daily.

Is there anything else that can help bring the sex drive back other then soy milk as I can't drink it ? Please give me advice I am only 20!!!

Anonymous

The depo shot and arm implanon use the same hormone that the IUD has which causes these symptoms. So if you are sensitive to the mirena, be careful when choosing any of these as your option. They may affect you in the same way. The patch and pill are different.

Anonymous

My girlfriend had this put in right after the birth of our Son, and over the course of the last 3 years her sex drive is completely gone just about. Before this God forsaken piece of plastic she worked 3 jobs and was always in the mood to have sex, now she doesn't work half as much and is never in the mood.
I love her to death but it's getting really bad that she is getting moody a lot as well when I bring this stuff up.
I know sex isn't everything in a relationship, but it is an important part of a relationship.
This damn thing has caused so much grief........... I miss my girl friend before Mirena.
Guys take my advice DON'T LET YOUR GIRL GET THIS!!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon

Please have your girlfriend read this thread. I can tell you she hates being miserable too.  There are lots of forms of birth control besides Mirena to choose from.

How do you control your PMS?: