Are the OTC treatments for menopause worth trying?

I am 54 years old and suffer from hot flashes, weight gain around my middle, mood swings, and vaginal dryness. I wonder if the OTC medicines would be something to try before HRT . I have read about menoquil, menoclear and amberen. the more I read, the more confused I get. I appreciate any information you can give me to help me make a decision.

Welcome to EmpowHER.  Here are some options in treating your symptoms.  It's important to discuss with your doctor before taking any medication, even if it's over the counter. 

Hot flashes

• Try to avoid things that may trigger hot flashes, like spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, stress, or being in a hot place.
  • Dress in layers, and remove some when you feel a flash starting.
  • Use a fan in your home or workplace.
  • Try taking slow, deep breaths when a hot flash starts.

Mood swings

• Try getting enough sleep and staying physically active to feel your best.

Vaginal dryness

• A water-based, over-the-counter vaginal lubricant like K-Y Jelly can help make sex more comfortable. 

Menopause Guide