bowel problem?

By January 8, 2010 - 1:02pm

Tricky one to ask advice on. I thought I had polysistic overies, but my doctor examined me again and said my overies are fine, but they have to do a Hysteroscopy on me because there is thickening of my womb.

Now I thought my left overy had a problem because I do feel that area throbbing at times, its painful when the doctors examine me and its painful when I have intercourse.

When I asked my doctor today she said that I may want to check my bladder or was it bowels..? Embarissingly I sometimes have excessive flatulence, and have gained weight, I dont have constipation, and seem to go to the toilet very regularly. Does any of these symptoms link up? Is it maybe an irritable bowl syndrome?

Hope you can help

thanks and happy new year

x meka

Hi Meka,

I am curious what they found on the hysteroscopy, can you share that with us? What other tests did you have done? It would also be helpful to get a clear picture of what your symptoms are and what your menstrual cycles are like.

Happy new year to you too, meka!

Has your doctor completely ruled out something wrong with your ovary?

With regard to irritable bowel syndrome, Empowher talks about the sysmtoms you would be likely to experience :

Symptoms include:

◦Abdominal cramps
◦Gas and bloating
◦Pain that resolves with a bowel movement
◦Loose stools
◦Alternating diarrhea and constipation
◦Urge to move bowels again immediately following a bowel movement
◦Mucus in the stool

I think a good idea is to increase your fiber intake dramatically. Do you know how much you are currently taking in, every day?

You should be consuming at least 25 grams every day. Some tips about fiber filled foods are :

• CHOOSE WHOLE GRAINS and whole grain items, instead of processed, white flour items, which contain little or no fiber. Be sure the label reads “whole wheat” or “whole brown rice,” rather than just “wheat,” or “enriched.” Both words indicate the fiber (and many vitamins and minerals) have been removed. Another tip: Consider adding oat or whole wheat bran to cereals and soups.
• CONSUME SALADS made with four or more veggies. A sampling: Romaine lettuce, carrots, green peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, chopped olives.
• MAKE A SMOOTHIE in the morning. Add about a cup of chopped fresh or frozen fruit (such as grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and banana) to 1/3 cup apple juice. Add 1/3 cup fat-free yogurt, then add water, based on the consistency you prefer.

My doctor told me that a lot of lower abdominal pain in women is thought by them to be related to their reproductive system but is actually related to their digestive systems.

I hope you do still get a full evaluation of your reproductive system but also bear in mind that your diet could be the problem. Increasing your fiber intake, drinking lots of water and opting for a diet of fresh, unprocessed foods might be the solution to your pain. Please keep us posted or let us know if you have more questions and we'd be happy to help you out further.

In the meantime, check out this article for digestive health :

Does this information help you?