Brown discharge, late period but negative pregnancy test...Can I still be pregnant?

By June 11, 2015 - 5:10am

I am currently 5 days late for my period and I have been experiencing brown discharge only when I wipe, so I only see it on tissue paper and not even in my underwear. I've also been experiencing pelvic pressure,nipple tenderness,dizzines, light headedness, lower back pain and elevated body temperature. I have taken a HPT when I was 1 day late, and another HPT when I was 4 days late and they were both negative. Can I still be pregnant and just testing too early?

Hi Sunflowerlover

Yes, you could be pregnant and it's not showing up yet but since you are experiencing some sort of very minor bleeding, that could signify your period coming. Since your tests are negative, it's very unlikely that you are pregnant. 

Thank you Susan!

I have made a doctor's appointment, but unfortunately she can't squeeze me in for another month. Should I try to wait it out and see if it is my period or could I take another test in a week and it be positive?

HERWriter Guide (reply to SunflowerLover)

A month? Usually, doctor's office just has a patient come in to the lab for a test, you don't need to see the doctor at all.  See if that will work, otherwise a clinic like Planned Parenthood can see you. 

I do think it's your period, but it's up to you to wait or retest. I'm a "need to know now!!" person but some people don't mind waiting. 

I know right! I was appalled ! I asked if I could just stop by the office for labs, but she insisted I needed an appointment. I will definitely go check at clinic this week though.

I believe the reason I am so on edge is that my mom recalls having similar symptoms as me when she was pregnant with her first child. She said it took two missed periods with brown discharge for her to actually get diagnosed as pregnant! Hopefully this is my situation as well! Thank you for all the insightful advice!