Depression

Depression Guide

DaisyN Guide

ask: can depression cause physical problems like stomach pain-gas etc

my daughter died of cancer in sept she had it 4 yrs ive gained 35 lbs since then i cant sleep at night pain in my stomach gas is this stress caused or depression which i have i lost my daughter not sure how to handle myself om lost help

Depression can negatively affect your physical health. Gastrointestinal problems, like stomach pain, sleep disturbances, chronic joint pain, tiredness and appetite changes are all physical symptoms associated with depression.

I can understand your pain. I lost my mother to cancer. I was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer four years ago.  Each member of my family and I suffered with some degree of depression as a result of my diagnosis.

It is important that you get intervention help. Meeting with a well-trained and sensitive counselor may be helpful. A support group of individuals who have lost a loved one to cancer may be another option.

Depression will not go away on its own. Please take care of your health.

bbnrse (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Everything you said, Maryann, is right on point and very true. From extensive experience I agree with you. Depression needs to be treated. It will not go away on its own. A lot of the time, as in my case, it is a chemical lack of a neurotransmitter in my brain that causes my symptoms and I must take an antidepressant and often an antipsychotic as well, to boost the effects of the antidepressant. Depression causes a lot of physical symptoms as you mentioned and once treated one feels ever so much better and can function on a much higher level when treated. bbnrse

Have you ever used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem?: