Can I still get pregnant without fallopian tubes?

By mrsbrathwaite September 17, 2008 - 12:51pm

I had my fallopian tubes removed due to multiple etopic pregnancies. I still have my ovaries, so can I still get pregnant?

Anonymous

In 2013 i had an etopic pregnancy which resulted in having my right tube removed the doctor told us our chances of conceiving were 50/50... in march of 2015 we found out we were expecting... in november 2015 i delivered a healthy baby girl we did not go through ivf or any fertility assistance... hope this helps

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for sharing your experience. Major point is you had a 50/50 chance of conceiving naturally because you had one (left) remaining fallopian tube.

Regards,

Anonymous

Not sure where youre getting your info Mary but you can actually still get pregnant without tubes. The opening where the tubes connect to the uterus don't close. It is harder and very uncommon to get pregnant as the tubes pick up the ovulate egg but if the egg makes it way into the opening where the tubes once connect to the uterus it can then be fertilized and a natural and healthy pregnancy can occur. Once again it is very uncommon so if you're trying for a baby there's probably better options but don't think you're 100% covered because that's not the case.

I got my information from Collin Smikle, M.D. an obstetrician and gynecologist.

"If your fallopian tubes were removed or if you had a tubal ligation in the past, you cannot get pregnant naturally.

You can still get pregnant with ivf because it bypasses the fallopian tube and the embryos are placed directly into the uterus."

Source: HealthTap, https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/715089

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

That's not true. I got my tubes tied in 2002. In 2008 I became pregnant twice and lost both. In 2011 i got a tubal reversal done. After surgery the doctor told me and my husband that my left tube actually grew back and that's why I was able to conceive both times. Well I now have two healthy baby boys that are 2 1/2 and 1yrs old. I now have both tubes removed (which I got done in 2015) after my 1yr old was born. I just recently in December, ended up pregnant with no tubes at all. It was not a successful pregnancy. They said I had a spontaneous abortion. Even though I didn't carry the two in 2008 nor the one a couple of months ago, I'm here to tell you that it is possible. Hopes this helps.

The big difference is you had a tubal reversal done and were able to conceive.

Was the lost pregnancy considered ectopic?

Wow, this is good to know bc I've been asking this question for yrs and never got this answer... I've had two ectopic pregnancy and lost my tubes. I had my son 6 yrs ago using ivf... but now six yrs later I missed my cycle for January and I'm late this month... I think it's time to take a test... can I ask you? Did you get normal pregnancy system with this last pregnancy in Dec?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

When tubes are tied, there is some possibility. When there are no tubes at all, there is no possibility. There can't be an opening where the tubes connect to the uterus if there are no tubes to begin with. I have spoken with several experts on the topic and they have never experienced a patient who got pregnant with no tubes, nor have they ever heard of a case.

Actually, you can still get pregnant after a removal. I had mine fully removed a year ago, my Dr told me that while its mostly efficient, there is a tiny chance you may get pregnant and if that happens you need to speak with your Dr and get an ultrasound immediately to make sure that the baby is in the uterus and not somewhere else. Its a less percentage than getting "tied cut and burnt". But it is more than zero percent.

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :